JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kitski (Offline)
Kakkoi

Cool Bon' midsummer holiday exodus peaks at airports, train stations, expressways - 08-12-2007, 11:31 PM

Sunday, August 12

The annual rush of travelers leaving Tokyo and elsewhere in Japan for the "Bon" midsummer holidays peaked Saturday morning with vacationers jamming roads, railway stations and airports. Almost all flights departing from Tokyo's Haneda airport to destinations around Japan were fully booked, as were planes leaving Narita and Kansai international airports for destinations overseas. According to Narita International Airport Corp, about 53,000 travelers are expected to fly out of the airport, with the return rush projected to peak Aug 18.

At Kansai airport near Osaka, 24,600 travelers are forecast to fly out Saturday, with the day's arriving and departing passengers expecting to reach 40,000, the highest this summer, Kansai International Airport Co said. China, South Korea and Europe are highly popular destinations. Railway officials said the bullet-train occupancy rate reached 200% on the JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line and 150% on the JR Tohoku Shinkansen Line as the first runs left Tokyo Station at 6 a.m.

Meanwhile, road traffic was backed up 65 kilometers from the Fukushima Iizaka interchange on the Tohoku Expressway in Fukushima Prefecture, 50 km from the Shizuoka interchange on the Tomei Expressway in Shizuoka Prefecture, and 43 km from the Takarazuka-higashi tunnel on the Chugoku Expressway in Hyogo Prefecture.

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.-- Albert Camus
(#2 (permalink))
Old
mike2 (Offline)
New to JF

thanks - 08-13-2007, 09:14 AM

thanks for being a member of japan forum. i live in japan for about a monht but i did not have the previllage of enjoying summer in japan but with ur help at list i know what life is like in japan during summer
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kitski (Offline)
Kakkoi

08-13-2007, 01:18 PM

aww..thanks mike2^^.
welcome to japanforum.feel free to pm me anytime.

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.-- Albert Camus