(#11 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-01-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgarshudder View Post
That was written by debito arudoru or whatever his name is. Who I personally think is a bit nuts. He's prone to exageration (comparing Japan to apartide...) and I don't like his form of 'activism'. Being a loud mouth dick is not gonna work in Japan, it's just going to make Japanese recoil from foriegners.
You seriously took the words out of my mouth.
Debito irritates me because he takes a good cause, and then selects the worst possible way to fight against it.

Discrimination sucks, but screaming and suing people is not going to change their opinions. I think an education campaign - for BOTH Japanese and foreigners in Japan - would have 10 times more of an effect. Landlords don`t dislike renting to foreigners because of their color alone - they don`t like it because foreigners DO tend to screw them over. People in Japan tend to be pretty darn trusting until someone screws them over - and a lot of people seem to see this as an invitation to do just that.
Why pay the utilities when you`re never coming back? Why NOT trash the apartment - You`re leaving Japan for good! Why not shoplift? The cashier is a smiling trusting high school girl! You`re leaving next month - a great chance to use the cell phone like crazy and never have to pay the bill!

It`s those type of foreigners that really are the root of the problem. Enforcing laws that end up causing more people to be screwed over is NOT going to help the situation. Yes, it sucks for foreigners who DON`T do things like that - but that`s life. Change people`s opinions by behaving like a decent person. Not by running around screaming and making people cringe like Debito.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-01-2007, 05:10 PM

i did get make fun of sometimes when i was in highschool because i am half chinese..yea ill say there are still a bit of discrimination in japan but its definetly better than it used to be
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Gorotsuki (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to Gorotsuki Send a message via MSN to Gorotsuki Send a message via Yahoo to Gorotsuki Send a message via Skype™ to Gorotsuki
09-01-2007, 08:04 PM

I still think America is worse in the discrimination department...

Debito I really can't stand him I have read a lot of things of his and been to his site and I think he goes about a lot of things the wrong way.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SithLordess (Offline)
New to JF

Oh dea( - 09-02-2007, 08:08 PM

I saw the link to the YouTube video. In Holland we have about 30 different nationalities and if you put up a sign on your bar or club stating Dutch only, you would very quickly find your bar or club closed by the police, you would find yourself in jail and get to pay a VERY high fine, discrimination is not allowed by law here. Not that it does not happen, but you could never go as far as in Japan.
But honestly I have Japanese friends and they are the sweetest people on earth so I guess it depends on where you go and how you yourself behave. Remember thre are bad people everywhere who yell abuse and call themselves nationalists, in Germany, Spain, France, even Belgium.
I just hope if I go to Japan the Japanese like me as a gaijin visitor, if they do not, well, is there anything so sad as unrequited love?
(#15 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

09-03-2007, 04:30 AM

thanks for the input, reaction and information everyone

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#16 (permalink))
Old
dannavy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

09-04-2007, 04:29 PM

In what way? Enforcing the law? You can't discriminate against people who have no right to be in your country illegally, stealing social security numbers, driving on the streets intoxicated, raping children, peddling meth...

USN Japan 1985 - 1997, best years of my life.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-04-2007, 08:20 PM

dannavy, i see u havent been to nyc then
(#18 (permalink))
Old
pandayanyan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to pandayanyan Send a message via MSN to pandayanyan
09-04-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannavy85 View Post

In what way? Enforcing the law? You can't discriminate against people who have no right to be in your country illegally, stealing social security numbers, driving on the streets intoxicated, raping children, peddling meth...
yeah but not only foriegners do that. I think the ratio would be more in favor of those legally here that do the illeagal things. I agree no one should be anywhere illegally but society should not ban them based on nationality or anything else. Let the government decide who is/isnt legal here. We need to treat people with respect no matter their status. They still are people illeagale or not.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Makino (Offline)
New to JF

11-30-2007, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
You seriously took the words out of my mouth.
Debito irritates me because he takes a good cause, and then selects the worst possible way to fight against it.

Discrimination sucks, but screaming and suing people is not going to change their opinions. I think an education campaign - for BOTH Japanese and foreigners in Japan - would have 10 times more of an effect. Landlords don`t dislike renting to foreigners because of their color alone - they don`t like it because foreigners DO tend to screw them over. People in Japan tend to be pretty darn trusting until someone screws them over - and a lot of people seem to see this as an invitation to do just that.
Why pay the utilities when you`re never coming back? Why NOT trash the apartment - You`re leaving Japan for good! Why not shoplift? The cashier is a smiling trusting high school girl! You`re leaving next month - a great chance to use the cell phone like crazy and never have to pay the bill!

It`s those type of foreigners that really are the root of the problem. Enforcing laws that end up causing more people to be screwed over is NOT going to help the situation. Yes, it sucks for foreigners who DON`T do things like that - but that`s life. Change people`s opinions by behaving like a decent person. Not by running around screaming and making people cringe like Debito.

Seriously, you people rock. Its people who realise this, that can make an impact.

But honestly, I think that if people are going to go to Japan on a VISA and screw around, then the Japanese government has the right to kick them out. The whole group shouldnt have to suffer because a few people are stupid.

>_<

Greeaat... now im all freaked out that in Japan they are gonna hate me. my japanese friends are so nice >_< Hopefully by the time I go, all the immature people GROW UP
(#20 (permalink))
Old
kuronekitochan (Offline)
Obbsesser of Japan

Send a message via AIM to kuronekitochan Send a message via MSN to kuronekitochan
12-02-2007, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannavy85 View Post

Ahem, but excuse me, Last time I checked most of those crimes are committed my US CITIZENS. You Point us out because we look different, speak different, act different, we're easier to blame.

America, and everywhere discriminates, but that does not make it right, nor does it make it sane. It gets under my skin, when officials talk about documenting foreigners, point us out more, look we're the bad ones. Where has the Civil Rights gone? Where has equality and acceptance gone. I'm ashamed at the world, but taking cheap labor, and tearing apart families is not right. You Dannavy eat food by those workers you want to throw out, go pick your own food, can it, farm it. Where would you be with out us.

Blaming foreigners doesn't get Japan or America anywhere. We are not you're problem. Interment Camps during WWII in America Didn't help us fight the war, it just harmed people ( When the Emperor Was Divine By Julie Otsaka is a great book on the effects of Blaming foreigners)
You kill us "gajin" with your blame, at the rate its going, Will I ever see the Beautiful Country I dream of, Japan?

I want to be a strong one....
Raise Myself Up
And Breathe the Air of a Higher Place.