JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Yon (Offline)
New to JF

question about job english teacher - 11-21-2007, 06:07 PM

hi everyone,

i am a guy of 22 from holland, a country where many languages is spoken, dutch, english, german, France and other languages...
and my goal is to be a english teacher in japan,but when i saw on gajinpot about the jobs of teacher english, then there is written, that they need a native speaker, but i am not native, but i am taking lessons for high level speaking english, but now i sucks, but still i can make myself understandable to other people...
but when i am done with that lessons of 1 years, then i will get an certification that is equal to bachelor degree, but bachelor degree has 1 thing that i don't have on the lessons, that are the psychology...to know how student reacts and what their problem is...

so my question is, does it matter? i have always dreamed of to go to japan...why? i love the art, history, old buildings and many people, even my best friend (yeah a japanese) moved from here to his homeland

can someone tell me if it matter about the speaking level? i will get a certification for my english skill

greets Yon
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

11-21-2007, 06:18 PM

From what i understand,its postively easier to get a job as a english teacher in Japan if ur a native speaker,So it does matter.By the way,no offense intended at all,but from what i read from ur post,ur english level is high for someone who's native language isnt english.But it isnt at that level required to become a English teacher yet.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Yon (Offline)
New to JF

11-21-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagamama View Post
From what i understand,its postively easier to get a job as a english teacher in Japan if ur a native speaker,So it does matter.By the way,no offense intended at all,but from what i read from ur post,ur english level is high for someone who's native language isnt english.But it isnt at that level required to become a English teacher yet.
sorry, but can you explain to me again what you mean by this "but from what i read from ur post,ur english level is high for someone who's native language isnt english.But it isnt at that level required to become a English teacher yet"...

are you saying my english is really high? well if that is what you mean, then yeah i have been learning english from my 13....but it still sucks because the sense advancement is not right...so in other words "My english sucks" that's why i am taking high level cursus to improve my english and i will also takes exam to get a diploma...so before i go to japan i am going to improve and get a diploma in my pocket.
but i know, i have to find a sponsor to help me for visa or i must get a work visa to go to japan and find a job...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-21-2007, 07:14 PM

dude of course it matters ur going to be a teacher..i use to teach neighborhoods kids back in my old neighborhood english and u have to have perfect japanese to explain to some of these kids.

and i didnt even expect to be paid. i did it cuz alot of parents heard that i was a fluent english speaker visiting my grand parents and i spoke with zero asian accent and thats y they wanted me to teach their kids english.

U have to have zero accent of ur native language and zero gaijin speaking japanese accent if u want to teach english to japanese. dead serious or else nobody will take u seriously
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Yon (Offline)
New to JF

11-21-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaicui View Post
dude of course it matters ur going to be a teacher..i use to teach neighborhoods kids back in my old neighborhood english and u have to have perfect japanese to explain to some of these kids.

and i didnt even expect to be paid. i did it cuz alot of parents heard that i was a fluent english speaker visiting my grand parents and i spoke with zero asian accent and thats y they wanted me to teach their kids english.

U have to have zero accent of ur native language and zero gaijin speaking japanese accent if u want to teach english to japanese. dead serious or else nobody will take u seriously
ok i understand, but say it...did i write english very well? if i did well...then i will take japanese cursus...why? because, i want make myself understandable to japanese people...i know that in japan not everyone can understand english...but learning japanese would be also my hobby and it also a challenge for me, why again? i want to adapt in the japanese society otherwise i am like a blind person who lost his way
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
11-22-2007, 09:49 AM

yes it matters very much.

why?

They would like to know that you have a full understanding of the words and correct pronunciation and can be able to answer any questions that may arise.

Plus out of the many applicants for english teachers, they will hands down always choose a native speaker over any one else.

Many people get fed lies about how easy it is to get a job as a english teacher in Japan and stuff.

Truth is the line to get those jobs is VERY long.

and only the most highly experienced and qualified are picked for premium spots.

many people find them selves tryin to get a job teaching in Japan, usually end up HOURS away from major cities.

I've met many people who came to see the busy life style of tokyo and japan only to be sent into the country side teaching english hours away from all the things they want to see.

gaijinpot mainly tries to set you up with very low paying jobs working as assistants and or as a private tutor.

Although some of the jobs they DO offer say they are in Tokyo, but usualy what that means is the main office is in Tokyo and your gona be sent into the country side.

OR it IS in Tokyo but its a very low paying no frills private tutor job, that will not be enough money for you to live in Tokyo.

also the jobs are NOT secure and if the person hiring you for private lessons decides he no longer needs you at any time... then you are out of a job in a very expensive city.

if you want to be taken seriously in the language teaching field.

i recommend getting certified with JET, and ESL, and having some teaching experience.

people think teaching english is a easy way to experience tokyo.

turns out many spend their time bored out of their mind in the country side only visiting exciting parts of Tokyo on their days off where they blow a huge chunk of their wages.

if you want to visit Japan cuz you want to experience, save up and take a month vacation.

if you truely want to be a English teacher, then study hard and go thru the process, and get some leverage in this competitive field.

i've personally been through it, and its a very long and frustrating process.

i have friend teaching 3-4 hours away from the city for 2 years and have only seen tokyo twice =P

i dont want to burst any ones bubble, but they take languages very seriously.

Schools dont plan on giving any one a job who is more concerned about traveling and seeing japanese culture then teaching.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
11-22-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yon View Post
ok i understand, but say it...did i write english very well? if i did well...then i will take japanese cursus...why? because, i want make myself understandable to japanese people...i know that in japan not everyone can understand english...but learning japanese would be also my hobby and it also a challenge for me, why again? i want to adapt in the japanese society otherwise i am like a blind person who lost his way
sorry to say your English writing is not proficient enough to teach students.

grammar, spelling and sentence structure is a key.

also kaicui is right, they do not want any accents when being taught English.
pronunciation is a HUGE element in learning.

Japanese who already know English will very seldom speak it, b/c they are very shy and self conscious about how they are pronouncing words.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Wagamama (Offline)
JF Regular

11-22-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yon View Post
sorry, but can you explain to me again what you mean by this "but from what i read from ur post,ur english level is high for someone who's native language isnt english.But it isnt at that level required to become a English teacher yet"...

are you saying my english is really high? well if that is what you mean, then yeah i have been learning english from my 13....but it still sucks because the sense advancement is not right...so in other words "My english sucks" that's why i am taking high level cursus to improve my english and i will also takes exam to get a diploma...so before i go to japan i am going to improve and get a diploma in my pocket.
but i know, i have to find a sponsor to help me for visa or i must get a work visa to go to japan and find a job...
No what i meant is that,it isn't at a level that could compare to that of a native's speaker yet,in other words you need to really improve your level of english.Otherwise u just wouldn't get a job as a english teacher in Japan.They would rather hand the jobs over to Native english speaker,Unless u could prove ur capabilities of english.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Yon (Offline)
New to JF

11-22-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagamama View Post
No what i meant is that,it isn't at a level that could compare to that of a native's speaker yet,in other words you need to really improve your level of english.Otherwise u just wouldn't get a job as a english teacher in Japan.They would rather hand the jobs over to Native english speaker,Unless u could prove ur capabilities of english.
okey thank you^^ i appriciate it
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-23-2007, 03:10 AM

He can't apply to JET because he is from Holland, not a English-speaking country.

What is your native language? Try looking for jobs teaching that.