JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

American in Hiroshima... - 12-04-2007, 05:29 AM

There must be someone who has asked this question before, but I can't find the answer, so meh.

An American going to Hiroshima, which was destroyed, what with the WMDs and all, by Americans. Would this be considered disrespectful? Maybe its just me - But I wouldn't want to see a Japanese person at Pearl Harbor.

Learning Japanese one flash card at a time!

Mother: Yuri
Siblings: animedude3, QuoyaNatsume
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

12-04-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
That is coz you are an idiot. I find in Thailand most Americans are saying they are Canadians now, coz no body likes them. But their voice and foul attitude gives them away. If you wanne go to Hiroshima, or anywhere for that matter, best say you are Canadian, your country is not much popular no more...
You know, not all Americans are foul. I find a lot of them are impatient and lazy, and I do not like that, which is part of the reason I want to get away from here. There are some Americans, like me, for instance, who are actually quite nice. In fact, I strive to be nice to people. Its sort of my philosophy. I enjoy makings others happy.

However, your first sentence: "That is coz you are an idiot." makes you no better than the image you have of us "Foul" Americans.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

12-04-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Anyway, what annoys me is their arrogance and lack of patience, like you say. Too often I see them yelling at people who are just doing their job as if they are to blame. Treating poor people and service people such as waiters like second class citizens in their own country. Majority of them are real cyclops. Extremely rude and disrespectful.
I agree, actually. My grandfather is one of those people. He'll yell at you for anything, and I mean ANYTHING. I once got yelled at, in front of a whole restaurant, for, and I quote, "Eating my burger wrong". In the same day, he yelled at the waiter for bringing his check too early.

I despise that man, and in part, that is why I have become like I am. Being nice to people, even to total strangers - The form of rebellion I have developed. I'd do a lot for a stranger.. I'd give an example, but I don't want to sound arrogant!

The reason for not wanting to see Japanese people in Pearl Harbor... Well, I suppose its something I picked up from my father. I know its wrong - but its just the way I feel.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-04-2007, 06:30 AM

Eh... personally I think it's a bit judgmental to lump all people from one country together like that. I know I'm not the same as every other Australian, and certainly far from the Australian stereotype. I'm positive not all Americans are idiots XD

From what I've read about traveling to Hiroshima most of the people there, even the survivors who lived through the actual bombing, accept American tourists readily enough. I've just heard it's a bit of a confronting experience to see the memorial museum and the devastating effect it's had, particularly for Americans. It's good to see to realise the extent of damage weapons like that have on real people rather than through statistics and history lessons though, I think.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-04-2007, 06:40 AM

First of all, you are both acting like idiots.

Nanjuu, thousands of Americans visit Hiroshima every year. Of course the effects of the bombing 60+ years ago affects them...but keep in mind that no one under 65 can even remember it. I have met many people from Hiroshima and they are a very peace-loving people. Your presence would be very welcome there...

UNLESS you were to open up your big mouth and say you would be offended if a Japanese person visited Pearl Harbor.

I usually keep my cool here, but that has to be one of the dumbest things I have seen anyone ever say here.

Why in God's name would you be offended by a Japanese going to Pearl Harbor WHEN YOU JUST SAID YOU WANT TO GO TO HIROSHIMA? Are you going to go there to say "Hey, Japan! In your FACE!!!" Do you think a Japanese would say that if they visit Pearl Harbor?

MOST of Japan and the US (and the world) learned lessons from WWII. I am sorry to hear that you and your family didn't.

And Tenchu...don't be a troll.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nanajuu (Offline)
Now with 20% more fiber!

12-04-2007, 06:53 AM

Well, geez.. That was rather harsh. I don't really have anything to say in defense, though, so I guess I'll shut my mouth before I anger someone else. As usual, MMM owns me. Meh.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-04-2007, 07:02 AM

Maybe it was harsh, but you need to open your eyes and step into the 21st Century.

Obviously you are trying by being here, and I feel for you if you were brought up in a racist home.

Better you hear the smack-down in Japan Forums than in Japan, when the person you piss off would be standing right in front of you.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

12-04-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanajuu View Post
There must be someone who has asked this question before, but I can't find the answer, so meh.

An American going to Hiroshima, which was destroyed, what with the WMDs and all, by Americans. Would this be considered disrespectful? Maybe its just me - But I wouldn't want to see a Japanese person at Pearl Harbor.
the war is over.. its time to realize what it did to the world so that it wont happen again.

Ive seen lots of foreigners in Hiroshima of all kinds, especially americans cause there is a US base nearby.

As you say, not all americans are foul same goes with the Japanese. Not all Japanese wanted that war, so why would you prevent them from visiting Pearl harbor if it can help them/us realize the devastating effect of war??

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

12-04-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
History books are not balanced. How can people realize what happened from a book of lies? It has happened again, a few times now. And it will continue to happen, again and again...
most of the history books are written by the victors, so its never balanced, its always bias.

yes it is happening again, cause lots of us just refuse to listen..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-04-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
History books are not balanced. How can people realize what happened from a book of lies? It has happened again, a few times now. And it will continue to happen, again and again...
By going and seeing. Obviously Nanajuu needs to go to the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum.

We all should.