LinkBack Thread Tools
(#121 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-08-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
I wouldn't say that at all... My brother has worked for BBC, MBC and is has now been working for Al Jazeera for the past 4 years and he tells me they are NOT allowed to show half the crap the US does... eg, read that example i gave to MMM...

Personally, i would say Americans are Biast... And thats fine if it was only slightly biast, everyone is to a certain extent proud, patriotic and biast about their country... BUT i think some if not most americans sometimes prefer to totally ignore reality & truth and then just have these images in their heads of how the US gov is doing the right thing!! Of course, eventually the people start to realise what the governemt is doing and then most of them don't like it, BUT there are always plenty of people that are clueless and seem to ignore reality!!
I don't think any of those Americans are here...

Samurai says Al Jazeera is anti-American, yet you say they aren't allowed to show the Army in a negative light. Both these things can't be true. Who is stopping the presentation of Al Jazeera news?

When you say your brother wasn't allowed to show something what does that mean? Did the US Army take the videotape from him? Or is it a policy thing?
(#122 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-08-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

Samurai says Al Jazeera is anti-American, yet you say they aren't allowed to show the Army in a negative light. Both these things can't be true. Who is stopping the presentation of Al Jazeera news?

When you say your brother wasn't allowed to show something what does that mean? Did the US Army take the videotape from him? Or is it a policy thing?
I wish i could tell you and i wish my brother was allowed to tell me who is stopping them (if he even knows)... Of course they have some freedom to show what they want, but he's told me dozens of stories where his boss didn't let them air some tapes!!! BUT, its a FACT that they aren't allowed to show some of the horrible things that the US army has done! Thats why i disagree with what samurai said! And because i disagree, of course both things can't be correct!

And i wouldn't say that... i believe some comments made on this forum by americans are rather biast!...
(#123 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:

They can both be true, actually. They can try to spin things in an anti-American light, and present their stories with a bias that is subtle enough that they can still appear to be a legitimate news agency, and thus also be unwilling to air some stories that are too sensational and over the top in their bias. It can sometimes be a fine line between subtly spinning the news in the direction you want and going so far that no one takes you seriously as a news source anymore.

Also, not every person within an organization as large as Al Jezeera is going to agree on things. There can be internal conflicts, with some editors killing stories they deem too biased and others promoting such stories.

But Noodle, surely you aren't trying to claim that Al Jezeera tries to show the US and Israel in a favorable light, or even a completely impartial light, are you? Whether it's one story being killed or "half the crap the US does", surely you must agree that Al Jezeera has a pro-Arabic and (at least subtly) anti-American and anti-Israeli agenda, right? I mean, I can easily admit FOX news has a right-wing agenda and bias, even if they still report on Republican scandals and stories that show the right in a negative light.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#124 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-08-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
They can both be true, actually. They can try to spin things in an anti-American light, and present their stories with a bias that is subtle enough that they can still appear to be a legitimate news agency, and thus also be unwilling to air some stories that are too sensational and over the top in their bias. It can sometimes be a fine line between subtly spinning the news in the direction you want and going so far that no one takes you seriously as a news source anymore.

Also, not every person within an organization as large as Al Jezeera is going to agree on things. There can be internal conflicts, with some editors killing stories they deem too biased and others promoting such stories.

But Noodle, surely you aren't trying to claim that Al Jezeera tries to show the US and Israel in a favorable light, or even a completely impartial light, are you? Whether it's one story being killed or "half the crap the US does", surely you must agree that Al Jezeera has a pro-Arabic and (at least subtly) anti-American and anti-Israeli agenda, right? I mean, I can easily admit FOX news has a right-wing agenda and bias, even if they still report on Republican scandals and stories that show the right in a negative light.
I guess i should have been more specific!!! I'm talking about Al Jazeera English!!! not the arabic one... Though they carry the same name, they don't have the same news, nor do they have any arabic speaking editors!! It's actually quiete funny, In the whole office in Qatar, there are only a hand full of people that speak arabic (one being my brother, as he has to do some translations sometimes), MOST are american!

And of course it doesn't try to show US in favorable liight, but it doesn't try to show it negatively either... Like you said, there is a limit and a fine line on what to show and what not to show, and also depending who has the story, editors may choose to air or not!
With that said, according to what my brother has seen, the US has done things far worse than is shown! And that goes the other way as well, "some" US soldiers have done some amazing things that will never be shown either!

EDIT:. I just spoke to my brother... Aparently there's a certain level of independence with aljazeera, but you can never be completely sovreign as a company or a nation.... Also, when it comes to anything outside Africa and the Middle east most of the news is provided by Reuters and APTN which is regarded by MOST to be pro-western. but when it comes to Palestine, Iraq, Africa, Aljazeera is more independent and doesn't need reuters or APTIN. With that said, aparently it is controlled by the west to a certain extent! He also said its to do with the politics. meaning that a lot is controlled by the US and UK leaders!!

Last edited by noodle : 12-08-2007 at 09:18 PM.
(#125 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-08-2007, 09:52 PM

The implication I had from you a couple days ago, Noodle, was that the US military wasn't allowing negative stories about the US military to be shown in Iraq. I said if that really was true, that would be very big news and scandalous. I see now that isn't what you are saying, and that the biases come from inside the company, correct?
(#126 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-08-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
The implication I had from you a couple days ago, Noodle, was that the US military wasn't allowing negative stories about the US military to be shown in Iraq. I said if that really was true, that would be very big news and scandalous. I see now that isn't what you are saying, and that the biases come from inside the company, correct?
No no... i apologize if it came across as me saying it was the Military that controlled it!!! thats not what i meant, and of course if that were the case, that would be a big story!!!
(#127 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-09-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
LOL, Samurai000 gave up on me.

Have nothing to say when I tell truth? US commits the same crimes as the people it fights, and justifies it with ornamental words. Its morality is a paper tiger.

Samurai000, I do not think the war was over oil, myself. However, you do undertsand that whoever controls the flow of oil holds the western world to ransom
?
Yup.I really think that the Iraq war was because of oil.I may be wrong sure but to me it semms like that.Nowadays it is all about the oil only.
(#128 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-09-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
LOL, Samurai000 gave up on me.

Have nothing to say when I tell truth? US commits the same crimes as the people it fights, and justifies it with ornamental words. Its morality is a paper tiger.

Samurai000, I do not think the war was over oil, myself. However, you do undertsand that whoever controls the flow of oil holds the western world to ransom
?
I already answered your questions and stated what I had to say, and now I'm just repeating myself. I see no point in doing that. Unless you have something new to say, something a lot better than the above, why should I keep doing the "uh HUH!", "Nuh UH!" routine? You're not "telling the truth", you're stating your opinion, same as I am. Part of the problem may be that you see no difference between the 2.

(#129 (permalink))
Old
Yon (Offline)
New to JF

12-09-2007, 09:27 AM

can somebody stop this quarrel?
this topic is about the american in hiroshima...
let's all forget about the past, we are now in the 21th century, and the human are further with their thought...there are still people who don't accept it...PEACE for everyone
(#130 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-09-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yon View Post
can somebody stop this quarrel?
this topic is about the american in hiroshima...
let's all forget about the past, we are now in the 21th century, and the human are further with their thought...there are still people who don't accept it...PEACE for everyone
Well, to at least try to get it back on the topic of Japan, I recommend people visit Hiroshima and Nagasaki, no matter what country they are from, and don't lie about your home country. The Japanese people were very friendly and helpful to me there, and I didn't hide that I was American.

Also, having visited both cities, I have to admit I liked Nagasaki better. It has a lot of interesting history concerning trade with foreign countries, Meiji-era cultural and scientific exchanges, etc.