JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tturtle (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Should I buy my camera before leaving? - 12-10-2007, 10:31 PM

Hi everyone

I havent been around here for awhile, but I am trying to plan my trip to Japan now. I was thinking about buying a camcorder and I was wondering would it be cheaper to buy one while I'm there instead of before I leave. I live in the US/Virginia.

Anybody know? Thanks for any advice!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
criminalpanda (Offline)
YA HAAAA!!!!

Send a message via AIM to criminalpanda Send a message via MSN to criminalpanda
here - 12-10-2007, 10:43 PM

i would buy one here. because it will be easier to use know english with the manual and all just make sure it uses batteries or the charger works in japan.

(#3 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

12-10-2007, 11:24 PM

oh yeah, totally buy one here before leaving. 'cause if you buy one there & come back here, those airport security retards might spew some crap about the camera being a fake bla bla made in asia & confiscate it along with aaaaall your memories.

But to despair was to wish back for something already lost.
Or to prolong what was already unbearable.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-10-2007, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriko View Post
oh yeah, totally buy one here before leaving. 'cause if you buy one there & come back here, those airport security retards might spew some crap about the camera being a fake bla bla made in asia & confiscate it along with aaaaall your memories.
What are you talking about? why would they take a "used" camera and say that stuff? And how would they even know the difference... camera's bought in the US as still made in Asia if you didn't realise!!!

Unless you're useless with technology and you need to use the manual for everything, then buy it in japan... I'm sure its cheaper, and plus, the first time you use MOST camera's, you set it up and you can choose language... And even if you don't need to set it up, i'm sure any camera shop in japan will you help you set up the langauge and change it to english!!!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

12-10-2007, 11:50 PM

WOW. you've never bought things in asia & have tried to return to america, have you?

(#6 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

12-10-2007, 11:55 PM

*sigh* they have random luggage checks in airports when returning to america [though if you ask me they mostly check asian people who look like terrorists] & if you bought something in an asian country & they think it's pirated then they confiscate it. do they tell you how they can tell? no. is it completely justified? yeah. my aunt bought tons of stuff from asia & came back to america just to have them all confiscated.

so as much as possible, buy the things in america. because airport is that crazy. they will flip out if you bring something as measly as a bottle of shampoo.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-11-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
*sigh* they have random luggage checks in airports when returning to america [though if you ask me they mostly check asian people who look like terrorists] & if you bought something in an asian country & they think it's pirated then they confiscate it. do they tell you how they can tell? no. is it completely justified? yeah. my aunt bought tons of stuff from asia & came back to america just to have them all confiscated.

so as much as possible, buy the things in america. because airport is that crazy. they will flip out if you bring something as measly as a bottle of shampoo.
Dude, they will take things if they are still boxed and stuff!! but if its a camera that you have used, they will not take it... Otherwise, if you leave american with a camera and come back with it, they could take that one as well!!! It's to do with import taxes. Thats why they can confiscate things! BUT if its used, and its your personal property, they will not!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

12-11-2007, 12:16 AM

hell no! the stuff confiscated from me had no boxes whatsoever! a camera bought in america? A.) there's a receipt. B.) there's a weird barcode that they can track down & see where you bought it.

but i'm not gonna argue with you. if you say so, then okay.

like i said, when they check people it's supposedly random. but, really, if you're not asian..then everything's all good. if your skin's brown or you don't have blonde hair, then watch what you buy.

yeah, blah blah, sounds racist. but that's the way it is.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

12-11-2007, 12:16 AM

they don't give two shits about personal property. you can throw a hissy fit when they take your stuff. & nothing's gonna happen. -_-

(#10 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

12-11-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
hell no! the stuff confiscated from me had no boxes whatsoever! a camera bought in america? A.) there's a receipt. B.) there's a weird barcode that they can track down & see where you bought it.

but i'm not gonna argue with you. if you say so, then okay.

like i said, when they check people it's supposedly random. but, really, if you're not asian..then everything's all good. if your skin's brown or you don't have blonde hair, then watch what you buy.

yeah, blah blah, sounds racist. but that's the way it is.
Ok, thats the most random things i've ever heard.... I have 4 asian friends (1 japanese, 1 indian and 2 chinese) that study in the US... they take technology with them to the US all the time. And they've been stopped a lot, but never have they checked for "fake" camera's or whatever you're on about! Its all to do with import taxes and distribution laws... BUT, if you wanna believe what you're saying, then its a shame on you, because if you ever go to japan, i'm sure there will be lots of hi-tech that you would wanna buy that might be confiscated right