JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Power, plugs and voltage - 12-11-2007, 03:19 AM

Yet another issue from me, haha.

I'm from Australia, going to Japan for a holiday with four friends. Our voltage here is 220-240V, and the plug shape is a bit different from other countries. I've heard that the plug shape in Japan is the same as the US one, and stepping down in voltage won't hurt whatever it is you're using/charging? Does this mean if I get an Australian to American converter it will work?

Since between us we'll probably have a few DS's, iPods, cameras etc I was thinking of bringing along an Australian powerboard and plugging that in through the converter, then plugging everything into that... but will that be too much for the low voltage power? I have no idea about these things =/

Also, if we buy electronics in Japan, is it fine to bring back and charge here?

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#2 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-11-2007, 04:53 AM

If you buy something in Japan and plug it in Australia, you are going to fry it. The voltage is 110 in Japan and 120 in the US. I think most appliances that use adapters are fine going from Japan to US or US to Japan, but I wouldn't try Japan and US to Australia or EU. You should be okay with your US converter and power strip plan, but I am no expert as I doubt anyone on here will be.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-11-2007, 06:47 AM

Eep! Gotcha, looks like I won't be buying any electronics then That's a shame.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

12-11-2007, 06:52 AM

ive bought a lot of electronics here and bring it back home, and we also have 200-240V power, but a power converter is the simple answer.

and most electronics now have 100-240V range. when you buy something in Japan just be sure to check the supported power range.

what kind of electronics are you planning to get??

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-11-2007, 06:53 AM

Is a power converter expensive?

I don't have any particular plans for buying electronics, but thought I'd just check =P Possibly a camera.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
(#6 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

12-11-2007, 07:02 AM

camera? most of the camera chargers right now are from 100-240V so I don't think you will have any problem with that.

I bough a sony camera before and the charger is from 100-240V so I did not have any problem using it at home.

power converters , hmm i don't think so.. there are affordable ones.

if you are planning to get home appliances in Japan then you will probably need power converter but if electronic gadget, i think you wont need..just be sure to check the power support ..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#7 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-11-2007, 11:49 PM

Voltage converters are actually really cheap.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
12-15-2007, 03:29 PM

Yeah, it's no big deal to get a converter, so get all the electronics you want as long as you make sure to put it through a converter when you get to Australia. And it's true what you heard about power between the US and Japan. I bet it would be fine to get a converter for Australia to US power, but I don't see why you would just get a Austalia to Japan adapter.... If you're thinking it's because you'll be coming to the US one day, you can use Japanese electronics just fine w/out a converter in the US (usually anyway) and you should be able to plug in anything you get from the US into a converter for Aus to Jap power converter too...
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
12-17-2007, 12:25 PM

a lot of electronics now adays can handle a wide power band.

example my laptop

its from USA 120 Volts worked fine in Japan, but now im in Vietnam and its 220.

but if you check on the Back of the power cord, it tells you what kinda power supply it can handle.

almost all laptops can handle 110-220 b/c of the huge box thingy connected to the plug.

just besure if you Do buy any thing, look at the back and see how much power it can handle.

cuz if i plug my ds or somthing small into the wall plug in vietnam im gonna fry it and it'll be Ruined

if your just gettin a camera.

most cameras, esp. in Japan have connectors for usb charging.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-13-2009, 05:02 AM

Has anyone bought a voltage converter for a Japanese appliance to be used in the US? Until now I have never had a problem (PS1, PS2, PSP, etc) but I have discovered appliances that use heat (i.e. a hair dryer) can be messed up with the JPN-100v and US-120v difference.

I am looking to buy a voltage converter (inverter?) for a bread maker bought in Japan. Does anyone have any recommendations?