JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mishiharo (Offline)
New to JF

Fugu restaurant in Hiroshima - 12-29-2007, 03:04 PM

Hi,

I'm from Germany, I'll make a guided Japan round trip in February 2008, and after this sightseeing tour across the country I'll go to Hiroshima for a few days to meet a penpal there, and her family.

I would like to eat Fugu all too much, but I didn't found any advice with reference to a Fugu Restaurant in Hiroshima City. Nowhere to be found in the internet. I don't want to ask my friends for a Fugu restaurant, because they could after that feel obliged to invite me
For heaven's sake!!

Is this true that restaurants in Japan never serve real Fugu fish to tourists,
only special cultured atoxic blowfishes?

Please do not misunderstand; I'm not tired of life; but I would feel a littlelittle bit bamboozled if I only could get falsified blowfish because I'm a stranger

Do you have any other inside tips what to do in Hiroshima, which do not belong to the common sightseeing programma and are not to find in any travel guide book and also does not know every local inhabitant? I'm a party-pooper by the way;

I'll go to an orchestra performance together with my friends and have got some more good ideas and tips what to do, so far,
but if anybody here could give me an insider tip
I never heard of so far,

I would be thankful.

Greetings and thank you!

Last edited by Mishiharo : 12-29-2007 at 04:16 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-29-2007, 06:37 PM

Spend a day taking the short ferry ride to Miyajima Island, just off the coast of Hiroshima.

I don't know about any Fugu restaurants there, I never had it myself (too expensive and didn't really appeal to me).

Have fun!

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-29-2007, 08:45 PM

That rumor of "fake fugu" has no basis in truth. Considering how fresh the fish needs to be, why would they supply fake fugu just in case a foreigner comes in? Why would they serve fage fugu to foreigners anyway?

The toxin sac in fugu is very easy to identify, and if it is pierced it is very easy to see. This is not why people get poisoned.

The reason is people request the poison on the side and add just a little as it numbs the tongue in a strangely pleasureable way. Add too much, and it can kill you, and it does a dozen or so people a year.

No doubt there is no shortage of fugu restuarants in Hiroshima. I've had it once and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.