JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Thegnome (Offline)
New to JF

Flight to Tokyo! - 01-01-2008, 12:18 PM

Okay, for the past couple of months I have been saving up and getting ready to visit Tokyo. I'm not going for another 6 months or so but I have been having a hard time finding a good deal of flights there. Okay so the date I wanna leave is on my Brithday June 15th, stay for maybe a week or so. Hoping to get a decent buget on it. But either way i've gotta visit it at least once in my life. I've been wanting to since I was a kid. Was hoping someone could help me find some cheap flights to Tokyo, around june 15th from Austin Texas.

Also, how hard is it gonna be for me getting around know just alittle japanese???? eh.... The other real question would be what is a good hotel??

Thanks in Advance...

Last edited by Thegnome : 01-01-2008 at 12:21 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

01-01-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegnome View Post
Okay, for the past couple of months I have been saving up and getting ready to visit Tokyo. I'm not going for another 6 months or so but I have been having a hard time finding a good deal of flights there. Okay so the date I wanna leave is on my Brithday June 15th, stay for maybe a week or so. Hoping to get a decent buget on it. But either way i've gotta visit it at least once in my life. I've been wanting to since I was a kid. Was hoping someone could help me find some cheap flights to Tokyo, around june 15th from Austin Texas.

Also, how hard is it gonna be for me getting around know just alittle japanese???? eh.... The other real question would be what is a good hotel??

Thanks in Advance...
well, usually from after MAY onwards, flight packages are FREAKING expensive, and even if it is cheap, you gotta take into account flight tax which would make your not-so-expensive ticket V.expensive.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Thegnome (Offline)
New to JF

01-01-2008, 12:37 PM

Hmm when would be the ideal time to go then? Maybe later after june? I'm really just trying to find a decent site to get them at. I figured if I got the tickets early enough it would not be quite as bad?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

01-01-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegnome View Post
Hmm when would be the ideal time to go then? Maybe later after june? I'm really just trying to find a decent site to get them at. I figured if I got the tickets early enough it would not be quite as bad?
September and October is usually cheapest.
Japan airlines, you could check, but thats well publicised and usually quite expensive.
I'm sure american airlines flies there
ANA's also another option
singapore airlines- but thats world renowned so it would be terribly expensive

Or you could get a cheap flight to one place, say, Taiwan/korea/singapore, and then a flight to japan.

Sometimes it's cheaper that way.

but to help- you, i copied and pasted this from japan guide.

Narita Airport (Tokyo)
Aeroflot London, Moscow, Paris, Rome
Air Caledonie Noumea
Air Canada Toronto, Vancouver
Air China Beijing, Chengdu, Dalian, Shanghai, Shenzhen
Air France Air France, Paris
Air India Bangkok, Delhi, Mumbai
Air New Zealand Auckland, Christchurch
Air Niugini Port Moresby
Air Pacific Nadi
Air Tahiti Nui Papeete
Alitalia Milan, Rome
All Nippon Airways Bangkok, Beijing, Dalian, Frankfurt, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Honolulu, London, Los Angeles, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Shenyang, Singapore, Taegu, Taipei, Washington, Xiamen
American Airlines Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, San Jose
Asiana Airlines Seoul
Austrian Airlines Vienna
Biman Bangladesh Airlines Bangkok, Dhaka
British Airways London
Cathay Pacific Airways Hong Kong, Taipei
China Airlines Honolulu, Taipei
China Eastern Airlines Beijing, Shanghai, Xian
China Southern Airlines Changchun, Dalian, Guangzhou, Shenyang
Continental Airlines Guam, Houston, New York, San Antonio
Delta Air Lines Atlanta
Dragonair Hong Kong
EgyptAir Cairo
EVA Airways Taipei
Finnair Helsinki
Garuda Indonesian Airways Denpasar, Jakarta
Iran Air Beijing, Tehran
Japan Airlines Amsterdam, Bangkok, Beijing, Brisbane, Chicago, Dalian, Delhi, Denpasar, Frankfurt, Guam, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hong Kong, Honolulu, Jakarta, Kaohsiung, Kona, Kuala Lumpur, Las Vegas, London, Los Angeles, Manila, Mexico City, Milan, Moscow, New York, Paris, Pusan, Rome, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Taegu, Taipei, Vancouver, Xian, Xiamen, Zurich
KLM Amsterdam
Korean Air Cheju, Los Angeles, Pusan, Seoul
Lufthansa Frankfurt, Munich
Malaysian Airlines Kota Kinabalu, Kuala Lumpur
Miat Mongolian Airlines Ulan Bator
Northwest Airlines Bangkok, Beijing, Detroit, Guam, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Manila, Minneapolis, Portland, Pusan, Saipan, San Francisco, Seattle, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore
Pakistan Intl. Airlines Beijing, Islamabad, Karachi
Philippine Airlines Cebu, Manila
Qantas Airways Brisbane, Cairns, Melbourne, Perth, Sydney
Scandinavian Airlines Copenhagen
Singapore Airlines Bangkok, Los Angeles, Singapore
SriLankan Airlines Colombo, Male
Swiss Zurich
Thai Airways Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Phuket
Turkish Airlines Istanbul
Uzbekistan Airways Tashkent
United Airlines Bangkok, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Hong Kong, Honolulu, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, Seoul, Singapore, Taipei, Washington
Vietnam Airlines Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City
Virgin Atlantic Airways London

Haneda Airport (Tokyo)

All Nippon Airways Seoul
Asiana Airlines Seoul
Japan Airlines Seoul
Korean Air Seoul

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"

Last edited by xYinniex : 01-01-2008 at 11:20 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Yasushi (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Yasushi
01-01-2008, 08:47 PM

Cool thanks for the information, i found a nice flightcompany for when i want to visit Japan. The only thing left to do is work my ass of for the money and learn the Japanese language.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
01-02-2008, 03:02 PM

check out my extensive guide to tokyo

it answers all your questions

but to breifly go over some

try using a Travel agency rather online, they seem to give better prices.

never use orbits cuz they are horrible.

expedia will cost the average price around 1400-2000

try to get flights not on the weekends and during a time that doesnt have heavy holidays and air traffic

you can get by with out speaking a lot of japanese.

i hardly knew any thing at all when i first came.

mostly every thing that is written in kanji/hiaragana/katakana has english under it.

lil tip, write down the places you live and places you frequently travel to on a peice of paper and see if you can get some one to translate and rewrite it in Japanese.

that way you can get back easier thru taxi or just asking Bus drivers or subway/train attendents.

peace

-ht

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
01-02-2008, 03:03 PM

oops and reguarding to your hotel question

also look into my guide for that, even tho its a guide for Tokyo it has general tips for all over japan.

if your stayin for longer then 2 weeks i recommend a hostel any thing from 3-4+ weeks get a apartment

go thru sakura house
or guess T house

google it.

-ht

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#8 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
01-02-2008, 10:21 PM

You might also want to check out IACE Travel at IACE Travel USA (that's a link!). That's where I got my ticket for studying abroad last fall. It was *the cheapest* place I found (even cheaper than the travel agent at my mom's work could find!) It was a year ago, but I left in Sept and my ticket was a bit less than $1000 round trip, which is a really really good price to fly from the US. It was also for a seat on a NorthWest Airlines plane and I could have gotten tickets for United or other big airline companies, so it's not tickets to no name companies.

If anyone knows of better places (or good places from other countries), let us know!

Oh, and by the way, I don't suggest flying on your b-day... you'll just be in a plane your whole b-day and it will be the next day when you arrive. Won't it be more fun to spend your birthday with friends and family and *then* leave? Anyway, good luck on your travels!