LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Fijah (Offline)
JF Regular

01-07-2008, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filiadragongurl View Post
If you're talking about exchanging money, just change some traveler's checks when you first get in, and go to ATMs and withdraw from your home account after that. Credit cards aren't really used in Japan much, so I wouldn't recommend relying on one. By the way, when I went to Japan last year, I'd studied Japanese for approximately 3 years and was terrible at kanji (still am) but I got by changing money and everything. As long as you can ask someone what it says, you'll probably have no problems.

I don't know about Japanese series and films, but if you're talking about anime it's *CRAZY* expensive! Save it for buying in America! (I know, I was super surprised too.) Also, you'll find that American movies are pretty cheap in Japan and you can get them w/ dual audio and dual subtitle languages (Japanese and English). I bought a bunch of my favorite American movies in Japan to watch them in Japanese! (They did a really good job on Monsters Inc. by the way ^_^ )

Anyway, have an awesome time! I super miss Japan, so enjoy it while it lasts!
Yeah, Ive only took 2 years of japanese classes. But I'm terrible at kanji to.
Where can u buy does travelers checks? At the flightport?

Hehe, I meant anime, movies, dramas etc. But if I'm supposed to buy them in America... I have to order it. Since I'm from Sweden. :P.

Thanks

Going to Japan in april!

(#12 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

01-07-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
*Since its Golden week when we're there, what places should we look out for.. or visit?
almost everywhere in Japan is crowded on golden week especially tourist area, but if you don't mind this, well then just enjoy

Quote:
*Are there any "rules" for hanami?
nope.

Quote:
*Ive seen a movie in my old japanese class how it is to take out cash from the cash dispenser. Is it really as hard as it looks? Or should I just draw my credit card for everything?
nope. its not that hard. big banks already have some english support so no problem in that department. if you withdraw on office hours, you can ask the bank personnel for help.

Quote:
*How easy is it to buy japanese series and films with english subs?
if its not realease internationally, then it does not have any english subs.

Quote:
*Is there any site on the net for looking up japanese events online? Like concerts. A site with artists, genres and access to book tickets?
if its in kansai area, Kansai Walker or Kansaiscene. The former is in japanese the latter is in English. Yes you can book them online , unfortunately its mostly in Japanese.

Quote:
*If you got to visit osaka, kyoto, tokyo and sapporo. What would you do and why?
what is your interest?? try looking in japan-guide.com for places to visit

Quote:
*We're suckers for the clothing style called "Lolita". Does anyone have any tip or hints for this?
if you are going to shop in Osaka, Shinsaibashi, Namba, Umeda is I think your best bet

Quote:
*When it comes to clothing, will it be big difference between the heat in tokyo-kyoto-osaka and sapporo?
ive not been to sapporo, but there are lot more cheaper shopping area in osaka than in tokyo. but if you are looking for branded items, then Ginza is one of the place to visit

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------

Last edited by samokan : 01-08-2008 at 12:00 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-07-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijah View Post
Yeah I know it's not cheap to go to sapporo. The only reason that we might be going there is because my friend says that she knows a japanese through the net who lives there. I'll see if I can talk her out of it.
But I was thinking, we want to buy the JR-railcard. Wont that card work all the way to sapporo?
As far as I know, the Shinkansen (tunnel) to Hokkaido isn't open yet...so I think you would have to fly.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Daniyaru (Offline)
New to JF

01-07-2008, 09:35 AM

Carry lots of yen cash while you're on the move, like, 20'000 yen at a time. It's a pretty safe place and it is a real cash society.
Also, take a camera (obviously) and take as many pics as you can, and a good guide book with places you want to go earmarked.
Apart from that, and clothing(!), drink the great beer, eat the amazing food, enjoy using your Japanese language, and just lose yourself for three weeks. You will have a crazy good time...
You will love it!
P.s. I miss the place big time ya see.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-07-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniyaru View Post
Carry lots of yen cash while you're on the move, like, 20'000 yen at a time. It's a pretty safe place and it is a real cash society.
Also, take a camera (obviously) and take as many pics as you can, and a good guide book with places you want to go earmarked.
Apart from that, and clothing(!), drink the great beer, eat the amazing food, enjoy using your Japanese language, and just lose yourself for three weeks. You will have a crazy good time...
You will love it!
P.s. I miss the place big time ya see.
I am used to carrying around 200,000 yen in Japan. Just because Visas and bank cards are harder to use.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
ktef (Offline)
New to JF

are u from Bulgaria???? - 01-07-2008, 10:25 AM

are u from Bulgaria????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijah View Post
Hi guys.

Im visiting Japan for 3 weeks. And I know that you're probably sick and tired of the same threads and questions all the time. And I've checked some of the threads to help me. Ill check it even more later on.
But I thought this would be easier.

Some info:
Me and my girlfriend (as in friend) from Sweden have planned a trip to Japan.
We're planning to visit Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo and Sapporo.
We know that you can take the train all over the county, and thats what we plan to do. We just wanna have as fun as possible for 3 weeks.
We wanna eat as cheap as possible just so we can have fun and shop things instead.
We wanna go to j-rock concerts, take a warm bath in those.. springs, go clubing, visit museums, visit temples, socialize, experience an ordinary japanese home (we might in sapporo), get drunk, well you all know the drill.

I'll just stack som questions, just so you guys can have something to do,
I really hope you can help me out:

*Since its Golden week when we're there, what places should we look out for.. or visit?
*Are there any "rules" for hanami?
*Ive seen a movie in my old japanese class how it is to take out cash from the cash dispenser. Is it really as hard as it looks? Or should I just draw my credit card for everything?
*How easy is it to buy japanese series and films with english subs?
*Is there any site on the net for looking up japanese events online? Like concerts. A site with artists, genres and access to book tickets?
*If you got to visit osaka, kyoto, tokyo and sapporo. What would you do and why?
*We're suckers for the clothing style called "Lolita". Does anyone have any tip or hints for this?
*When it comes to clothing, will it be big difference between the heat in tokyo-kyoto-osaka and sapporo?

Cant remember all the good questions I had in mind. I guess Ill check in and write again if something comes up.

I really appreciate your help.

// Sofia
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Fijah (Offline)
JF Regular

01-07-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samokan View Post
almost everywhere in Japan is crowded on golden week especially tourist area, but if you don't mind this, well then just enjoy

nope

TEXT TEXT

Thanks a lot for your help

MMM oh,didnt know about that. That sucks.

Daniyaru Wow, it sure sounds promising . But Ill have to reconsider that thing about the money. Sounds scary... I sure hope japanese people are as nice as they seem. :P

And ktef, if you wouldve read my text. You'd see that Im SWEDISH

peace out.

Going to Japan in april!

Last edited by Fijah : 01-07-2008 at 04:02 PM.