JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Fijah (Offline)
JF Regular

Red face Trip to Japan april-may - 01-01-2008, 07:33 PM

Hi guys.

Im visiting Japan for 3 weeks. And I know that you're probably sick and tired of the same threads and questions all the time. And I've checked some of the threads to help me. Ill check it even more later on.
But I thought this would be easier.

Some info:
Me and my girlfriend (as in friend) from Sweden have planned a trip to Japan.
We're planning to visit Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo and Sapporo.
We know that you can take the train all over the county, and thats what we plan to do. We just wanna have as fun as possible for 3 weeks.
We wanna eat as cheap as possible just so we can have fun and shop things instead.
We wanna go to j-rock concerts, take a warm bath in those.. springs, go clubing, visit museums, visit temples, socialize, experience an ordinary japanese home (we might in sapporo), get drunk, well you all know the drill.

I'll just stack som questions, just so you guys can have something to do,
I really hope you can help me out:

*Since its Golden week when we're there, what places should we look out for.. or visit?
*Are there any "rules" for hanami?
*Ive seen a movie in my old japanese class how it is to take out cash from the cash dispenser. Is it really as hard as it looks? Or should I just draw my credit card for everything?
*How easy is it to buy japanese series and films with english subs?
*Is there any site on the net for looking up japanese events online? Like concerts. A site with artists, genres and access to book tickets?
*If you got to visit osaka, kyoto, tokyo and sapporo. What would you do and why?
*We're suckers for the clothing style called "Lolita". Does anyone have any tip or hints for this?
*When it comes to clothing, will it be big difference between the heat in tokyo-kyoto-osaka and sapporo?

Cant remember all the good questions I had in mind. I guess Ill check in and write again if something comes up.

I really appreciate your help.

// Sofia

Going to Japan in april!

Last edited by Fijah : 01-02-2008 at 01:23 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Fijah (Offline)
JF Regular

01-03-2008, 10:52 AM

So... no one who knows something?

Going to Japan in april!

(#3 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Here you go:

*Since its Golden week when we're there, what places should we look out for.. or visit?
>>>Basically, the whole of Japan will be crowded esp. tourist spots, trains and subways, walkways, etc. If you don't mind the crowd, just go ahead and do what you intended to do, and go where you planned to go.

>>>Nope. Just get ready yourself a camera.

*Ive seen a movie in my old japanese class how it is to take out cash from the cash dispenser. Is it really as hard as it looks? Or should I just draw my credit card for everything?
>>>I don't know what movie you're talking about or how ancient that movie was, if you know japanese, then it is as easy as a-b-c. Otherwise, do it at the bank where you can ask questions and make request and there'll be people there to help you out.

>>>Quite difficult. Only certain stores like Tower records carry them. Most don't.

*Is there any site on the net for looking up japanese events online? Like concerts. A site with artists, genres and access to book tickets?
>>>There should be. Try googling them.

*If you got to visit osaka, kyoto, tokyo and sapporo. What would you do and why?
>>>Haven't you done any homework on what you want to do or see? Doesn't it generate any excitement in you to go out searching for such information yourself, rather than waiting for people to "fill me in"?
Try getting yourself a good guide book.

*We're suckers for the clothing style called "Lolita". Does anyone have any tip or hints for this?
>>>Don't know about that.

*When it comes to clothing, will it be big difference between the heat in tokyo-kyoto-osaka and sapporo?
>>>About the same for Kyoto and Osaka, slight difference in Tokyo and big difference for Sapporo.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Riee (Offline)
New to JF

01-03-2008, 04:23 PM

>How easy is it to buy japanese series and films with english subs?
Series with english subs? Usually they never get subbed...
Nevertheless if you still want to buy some, than just look for example at a Tsutaya-Shop (in Shibuya in the same building as the Starbucks that you will see when you exit the station on the hachikou-side). Also the big department stores (Seibu, Tobu) often sell them, same as some CD-Shops like Tower Records or HMV. For 2nd Hand DVDs I'd advice you to go to Book OFF (one of the biggest Book OFF stores is in Harajuku).

>Is there any site on the net for looking up japanese events online? Like concerts. A site with artists, genres and access to book tickets?
Yes there is, but it is usually only written in Japanese...
But in general you can't book them when you're overseas.

>If you got to visit osaka, kyoto, tokyo and sapporo. What would you do and why?
It just depends on what you're interested in...

>We're suckers for the clothing style called "Lolita". Does anyone have any tip or hints for this?
There are some shops in Harajuku, for example on the B1.5Floor of the Department store "la fôret" in Harajuku, others are just single shops located sperated in the streets. Especially on weekends you can also see many Lolitas walking around in this part of Tokyo.
There's also one 0I0I-store in Shinjuku which should have a Floor where "Lolita"-Clothes are sold.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Fijah (Offline)
JF Regular

01-03-2008, 05:22 PM

enyafriend:
Since I never been to a big city like that before, it might be a problem with all the people. But I hope Ill survive. It's vacation so why not =).

Ive studied japanese for 2 years. But I really dont know any Kanji, so I guess Ill go to a bank then.

And I have a really good traveling book from Lonely Planet, just havent been able to read it yet. It's just that you can do so much stuff in 3 weeks that it's hard to choose what to do.
Thank you.

Riee: Seems to be a lot of fun in harajuku, I guess Ill have to go there. We have 5 days to spend i Tokyo. So I must find some good dvd or something! ;P And ofc clothes.

And thanx to you to!

Going to Japan in april!

(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-04-2008, 08:33 PM

I love Sapporo, but this leg of the trip (likely taking a plane ride in the country) is going to be expensive. From Osaka, Kobe and Nara are very close, and even Hiroshima would be a cheaper option (if costs matter).

South (minami) Osaka has a lot of good shopping for Lolita fashion. Try Ame-mura district in Shinsaibashi.

A J-rock concert is going to be hard, but there are many live houses in Tokyo and Osaka, and you can see a show for a reasonable price at smaller club if you want. Pamphlets can be found wherever young people congretate...or pick up a Kansai Walker or Tokyo Walker magazine (Japanese). Tokyo Timeout will have that kind of info in English.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
direngreywewe (Offline)
New to JF

gothic lolita - 01-04-2008, 09:26 PM

if you want gothic lolita clothing check these webs out

Lolita Kisama - International Visual Kei Gothic Lolita Fashion

Midi:Nette presents

(mana's clothing line)
(#8 (permalink))
Old
katabami (Offline)
New to JF

Golden Week travel in Japan - 01-05-2008, 03:59 AM

Many Japanese travel during golden week so the first thing is get accomodation as early as possible.
No rules to it, but many Japanese sit on the ground on the ground sheet
to enjoy hamai.Mostly we talk about is Hanami for cherry blossom time.
During Golden week, you can enjoy cherry blossom in northern part of Japan only, such as Hakodate, Sapporo. Too late in Honshu Island.
Yes, ATM or cash despensor in Japan is more sophisticated, I.e. it can send
money to your friends's account, pay bills, etc. Note many of ATMs do not
take your money cards, only the bank cards available in Japan. In fact it is
rather hard to find one for your card.

*If you got to visit osaka, kyoto, tokyo and sapporo. What would you do and why? #1 place to visit is Kyoto, an ancient capital of Japan, many traditional
temples, shrines, good Japanse gardens attached to temples are "MUST".
Osaka is a commercial center, fun place to hung around down town.
Sapporo, nice northern city with more modern city, with vast landscape around. Tokyo, a capital, big, big city, many amusement places, such as
discos, bars, restaurants, akihabara=electric town, also "ANIME"s.*When it comes to clothing, will it be big difference between the heat in tokyo-kyoto-osaka and sapporo?
Sapporo night in May could even be under 10 ℃。Kyoto can be a little cooler
10~15℃ than Tokyo or Osaka, because of Kyoto's inland location.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Fijah (Offline)
JF Regular

01-06-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I love Sapporo, but this leg of the trip (likely taking a plane ride in the country) is going to be expensive. From Osaka, Kobe and Nara are very close, and even Hiroshima would be a cheaper option (if costs matter).

South (minami) Osaka has a lot of good shopping for Lolita fashion. Try Ame-mura district in Shinsaibashi.

A J-rock concert is going to be hard, but there are many live houses in Tokyo and Osaka, and you can see a show for a reasonable price at smaller club if you want. Pamphlets can be found wherever young people congretate...or pick up a Kansai Walker or Tokyo Walker magazine (Japanese). Tokyo Timeout will have that kind of info in English.
Yeah I know it's not cheap to go to sapporo. The only reason that we might be going there is because my friend says that she knows a japanese through the net who lives there. I'll see if I can talk her out of it.
But I was thinking, we want to buy the JR-railcard. Wont that card work all the way to sapporo?

Thank you for the help!

Nice We'll check those pamplets and magazines out.

direngreywewe

Thank you! God I love that cap on the first page!

katabami: aaw thats too bad. Would it be over the first week when we arrive? Around.. 13th of april?

I'm gonna use a visa or a master card in Japan. Would they work? Or should I go to the bank when I want to use them?

Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it!

Going to Japan in april!

(#10 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
01-06-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijah View Post
If you're talking about exchanging money, just change some traveler's checks when you first get in, and go to ATMs and withdraw from your home account after that. Credit cards aren't really used in Japan much, so I wouldn't recommend relying on one. By the way, when I went to Japan last year, I'd studied Japanese for approximately 3 years and was terrible at kanji (still am) but I got by changing money and everything. As long as you can ask someone what it says, you'll probably have no problems.

I don't know about Japanese series and films, but if you're talking about anime it's *CRAZY* expensive! Save it for buying in America! (I know, I was super surprised too.) Also, you'll find that American movies are pretty cheap in Japan and you can get them w/ dual audio and dual subtitle languages (Japanese and English). I bought a bunch of my favorite American movies in Japan to watch them in Japanese! (They did a really good job on Monsters Inc. by the way ^_^ )

Anyway, have an awesome time! I super miss Japan, so enjoy it while it lasts!