JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Renkurai (Offline)
New to JF

Question Do you need to know the language? - 01-02-2008, 01:21 AM

Help me, I'm a 13 year old obsessed with wanting to go to Japan. I really want to go there, but I'm scared cuz I hardly know how to speak Japanese. So, do any of you know how I can start learning Japanese? I have my whole life ahead of me so I'm not that worried. This is just a question that's been bugging me for a while. To be able to survive in Japan, is it necessary to be fluent in speaking Japanese?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-02-2008, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renkurai View Post
Help me, I'm a 13 year old obsessed with wanting to go to Japan. I really want to go there, but I'm scared cuz I hardly know how to speak Japanese. So, do any of you know how I can start learning Japanese? I have my whole life ahead of me so I'm not that worried. This is just a question that's been bugging me for a while. To be able to survive in Japan, is it necessary to be fluent in speaking Japanese?
No, you don't need it to survive. I didn't know any Japanese when I went to Japan to live there for 2 years, and I survived just fine. I picked up a little while I was there, and you will too, but you can get by without it.

Of course, the more Japanese you know, the easier it can be to get around, talk to people, etc...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-02-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renkurai View Post
You have so much time to study. I would suggest that you begin studying Japanese right now and go when you turn 18. It'll be a great and rewarding experience, I'm sure.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-02-2008, 07:31 AM

Do you have any idea what High School you'll be attending? Maybe you can take it through there. My old high school had Japanese classes, but, there weren't enough students taking it, so they got rid of it.

I looked back at what they have now, and, surprisingly, not only do they teach Japanese again, they even have a Club Japan, Asian Culture Club, and Universal Language Club (I'm assuming this is just a new name for "Foreign Language Club"). Kind of sucks that this stuff (Asian Culture/Club Japan) wasn't there when I was. I would've ditched Spanish in almost a heartbeat.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Retrogamer77 (Offline)
Destati

Send a message via AIM to Retrogamer77
01-02-2008, 07:34 AM

Of course you don't need to know the language to just get by. You can easily just learn enough phrases to do what you want to do. However, it would make more sense to learn Japanese if you want to actually LIVE there. What's the point of going there if you aren't even going to try to learn the native language. I feel that's disrespectful to some extent. You don't have to be fluent, but you should at least try.

~Genauso wie du~
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-02-2008, 07:40 AM

Every word you know will make your experience that much better. At 13 you have PLENTY of time to get started, and that is great.

I didn't start studying Japanese until I was 18 and moved there when I was 22. I am sure glad I had four years of study behind me, because it opened up the doors of who I could talk to. I would go assuming no one speaks English, and learn as much as you can before you go.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Renkurai (Offline)
New to JF

01-03-2008, 01:06 AM

I'm not sure as of now, since they'll send the reply in March for high schools but I put William Cullen Bryant High School as my first choice. I don't know if they have any Japanese classes, but I'll ask around. And even if I can survive in Japan without knowing the language, I want to learn the language. But as of right now, I don't have a clue to how I'm going to learn. Maybe the internet... :[ How did you guys learn Japanese? And I know it isn't gonna be easy.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
01-03-2008, 01:12 AM

I'm sure most of the people here who can actually speak Japanese learned through a class. There are a large number of us (including myself) who are self-teaching using the internet. If you search around on this site, you'll find some threads where people have listed their resources that they've used.

Also, of those of us that are beginning self-teaching, a large percentage are trying to take an actual class. Self teaching can take you only so far, really. I've been at it for months and have only learned how to read kana, recognize a few Kanji, a few words, and the most basic of polite verb-conjugations. I learned more about spanish in two weeks taking a class in high school.

Get a class if you can. It's the best way to go. Otherwise, find a friend who speaks Japanese very well and glue yourself to his/her hip (figuritively).

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.