JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DrTRAN (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to DrTRAN
Application to travel abroad in Japan. - 01-25-2008, 04:22 PM

I'm applying for a program my sensei recommended me. It's pretty exclusive to a program in my school, SEO, so they're doing a new thing this year where they gave my sensei 10 applications for individual scholarships to distribute among the sophomore and junior classes. I was honoured to receive one. =D
This application is LOOOOONG.
I have to write two essays, obtain two medical release forms, teacher recommendations, answer a lot of short answer questions, write a letter to a host family in Japanese, and include two photos of myself. It's pretty overwhelming with the competition in my class.
Anyway, there are five essay topics. I have an idea of what to write about, but out of curiosity, which two topics would you write about that would make your application "pop"?

1. Describe an individual that you greatly admire. Discuss the qualities that make this person so exceptional.
2. Do you consider music a universal language? Is so, why? Explain how you have used music to connect with others.
3. "I Have a Dream" is the popular name given to Martin Luther King Jr's famous speech describing his hope for a more tolerant, peaceful society. Please write your own speech entitled, "I Have a Dream" describing your hope for the future.
4. Describe an ethical or cross-cultural conflict you have experienced and describe how you resolved this situation.
5. Describe a contemporary international event, discuss why you feel this event was important and analyze its ramifications.