JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
watashi (Offline)
New to JF

Japan or Bust! - 01-03-2008, 08:23 AM

First post so first of all, Hello all! and now onto business...

After about 4 years of contemplating and building up sky miles on my credit card it came down to this winter at the mark of my turning 26 (17th of Jan) that I will finally make it to japan.

Language wise, I can speak a bare minimal of yes/no hi/bye and general directions which is usually enough to get one by in most places in the modern world and being originally from india and moving to the U.S. and having to deal with culture shock I'm used to it and also the fact that its a city like Tokyo I'm not too worried about it.

What I am concerned with is the time I have and finding a decent place. I'm leaving from New York City on the 8th of January and will be arriving at Narita airport on the 9th and plan on staying in Japan until the 20th of January before heading home to start grad school, which of course means this is a fairly budgeted trip.

I'm looking for some decent hotel recommendations. I've found one or two places, but haven't been too thrilled with the prices compared to their locations and quality. Seems my price range of ($50 to $65 a night) is a bit too low which being a New York city resident is understandable. So if anyone has any good recommendations please let me know. I could probably spring for a little more per night for a nice place, but not a lot more.

Secondly, things to do. I've been so busy with the last semester and with trying to find an apartment that other than booking a ticket I haven't really had much time (this post being made at 3:30 at night being evidence of the fact) to plan out anything. I plan on staying in Tokyo at the moment, but would also like to see other interesting points as well. To my luck the Tokyo Auto Salon is on the weekend that I arrive so that should fill up a day or two at least.

Another point of concern is the amount of cash to have on hand upon arrival, other than credit cards of course. Basically how much to have for cab fare to the hotel or anything else of the sort.

I actually do have an acquaintance that is from japan and is actually back home at the moment, but doesn't reside in Tokyo and I don't know how much I can really depend on him. I should have probably stuck my head in one of these forums a few weeks ago when I made my reservation to try and find some people to hang with or something.

So if anyone in my age bracket, or not currently resides there and would like to hang out and see the sights that would help a great deal as well as I'm traveling alone. I'm a fairly outgoing and easy going guy and enjoy a pretty wide array of hobbies like drifting,films,photography,history,art,music I could probably buy you some lunch/dinner as payment as well.

I've waited for this trip for a while and would like to make the most of it so any help in any of the mentioned fields would be appreciated, so thanks for taking the time to read it.

Last edited by watashi : 01-03-2008 at 08:28 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-03-2008, 08:46 AM

Congratulations on finally managing the trip. I hope you have fun. I know of some people who have gone to Tokyo and some nice, discount places.

I've heard of this place, a hostel, by the name of K's House Tokyo. I've heard good things about it, and since you're by yourself, you should get a decent rate. I think it was about ¥3000 for a room with one bed.

Another place I was told was nice was Sakura Hotel, and I think the rates were reasonable there as well.

I was also informed of the Tokyo Inn hotels, which are all over, have decent service and prices too.

Oh, and here's something that should help you once there. It is called Hyperdia, which "is an online timetable calculator for the Japanese transport network."

I hope these help some.

As for taxis, I always heard that they were expensive and that it's encouraged to avoid them and to rely on the other forms of public transit. I know that the hostel place I mentioned above is right next to a railway line.

I can't help you too much since I don't know of how much cash you should have for such a trip. Hopefully, someone who's visited can help there.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 01-03-2008 at 08:57 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
watashi (Offline)
New to JF

01-03-2008, 09:31 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

I figured the cabs are expensive like they are most anywhere, being a manhattan-ite I avoid them like the plague and would prefer to use the public transit, but I don't know how viable an option that idea is with luggage.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-03-2008, 09:39 AM

Now I feel like a moron. I totally disregarded the luggage thing. I wonder if the hotels there offer shuttles to and from hotels.

Oh, and I now about those cabs in New York. I don't live there, but I visit frequently enough since I was born there. Those things are terribly expensive. I know when in Ohio, I had to pay close to $40 for a trip from the hotel to the airport to fly home. I was like, "Never again..." My friends that live in Ohio couldn't take my cousin and me to the airport, so we had to use the cab and that hotel we were at didn't have a shuttle we could take. Last time, it was nice since they gave us a free ride for some mistake the hotel made so they paid the fare. lol I was dancing.

Anyway, I hope you manage to find and book a place soon. With some hotels, you have to do so way in advance to get good rooms and good rates.

Edit: I took a look at that link to the Sakura Hotel, and they have an "Airport Limo" thing from Narita airport as well as an express train. By the looks of it, seems for this, you'll always have to use the trains, even with your luggage.

From Narita International Airport
Using "Keisei" express train
1.(69 min by "Keisei" line + 17 min by subway, total fee-1140yen)
go to "Oshiage" station
change to subway "Hanzomon" Line
go to Jimbocho Station (station number Z07 )

2."Keisei" line (local or express) go to "Keisei Yawata" station change to subway "Shinjuku" line go to Jimbocho Station (station number Z07 )

Using Airport Limousine Bus
(55 min by bus + 7 min by subway, total fee- * 3060yen)
go to "T-CAT"(Tokyo City Air Terminal)
walk to "Suitengumae" station change to subway "Hanzomon" line

* This is normal fare. We recommend a set ticket of limousine bus and one day subway pass sold for only 3000 yen (saving 710yen) at the limousine bus counter in Narita. There are also discounts at restaurants or museums with the ticket. >> More Info

Using "JR Narita Express" train
(63 min by "JR" line + 3 min by subway, total fee-3100yen)
go to "Tokyo" station
walk to "Otemachi" station change to subway "Hanzomon" line

Last edited by SSJup81 : 01-03-2008 at 09:47 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
watashi (Offline)
New to JF

01-03-2008, 08:14 PM

Thats going to make things a bit more interesting I suppose. I'm not traveling with much anyway so it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks again.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-05-2008, 09:42 AM

I'm actually going to NYC for the first time on Jan. 9 and returning Jan. 20. I could have went to Tokyo this January as well but I got some cheap plane tickets to NYC so I decided to go there since I'll probably go to Tokyo in the summer. I'm planning on visiting Tokyo again in January as well next year. Be sure to return on this site and tell me how Tokyo is in January. Just stay at a hostel. You can even stay for free if you ask them if you can work for them for a couple of hours for a free stay:

Hostels in - Book Online at Hostelworld.com

Last edited by GhostBlade : 01-05-2008 at 09:48 AM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
katabami (Offline)
New to JF

Red face Hotel in Tokyo(Japanese Style) - 01-05-2008, 11:00 AM

Hi,
One suggestion is to stay in Japanese style hotel, called "Ryokan" where you
can experience with typical Japanese style room and bed, etc.
Check http://www.ryumeikan.co.jp for more information of your stay in Tokyo.
You can start with your room rate at Yen 10,000 or about $100per night.
It will be a great opportunity to be in this side of the world. This hotel has an English page for foreign guests.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
watashi (Offline)
New to JF

01-06-2008, 05:40 AM

Appreciate the help, but after a lot of searching about I managed to get an ok rate at the pearl Ryogoku. Its more than I wanted to spend, but I managed to get it for the duration of the trip. Now its just a matter of finding things to do! and figuring out how to get there from Narita of course. The subway system is confusing me to no end and i haven't even arrived there yet!

Anyone know what would be the best way to get to the Ryogoku station from Narita? The hotel is supposed to be only a minute's walk from there

As for the Ryokan suggestion I am going to try and venture out to Hiroshima for a day trip from Tokyo and if it runs long I might end up staying there and would probably look into one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBlade View Post
I'm actually going to NYC for the first time on Jan. 9 and returning Jan. 20. I could have went to Tokyo this January as well but I got some cheap plane tickets to NYC so I decided to go there since I'll probably go to Tokyo in the summer. I'm planning on visiting Tokyo again in January as well next year. Be sure to return on this site and tell me how Tokyo is in January.
thats eerie, I leave someone comes and fills my spot for the exact time I'm gone heh. I should have rented you my place! Enjoy the city its a great place to visit and a ridiculously expensive and stupid place to live, but i love it too much to move anywhere else for now

Last edited by watashi : 01-06-2008 at 05:47 AM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-06-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi View Post
Appreciate the help, but after a lot of searching about I managed to get an ok rate at the pearl Ryogoku. Its more than I wanted to spend, but I managed to get it for the duration of the trip. Now its just a matter of finding things to do! and figuring out how to get there from Narita of course. The subway system is confusing me to no end and i haven't even arrived there yet!

Anyone know what would be the best way to get to the Ryogoku station from Narita? The hotel is supposed to be only a minute's walk from there

As for the Ryokan suggestion I am going to try and venture out to Hiroshima for a day trip from Tokyo and if it runs long I might end up staying there and would probably look into one.

thats eerie, I leave someone comes and fills my spot for the exact time I'm gone heh. I should have rented you my place! Enjoy the city its a great place to visit and a ridiculously expensive and stupid place to live, but i love it too much to move anywhere else for now
Day trip to Hiroshima? Are you getting a Japan rail pass? If you are staying in Tokyo all the time except for 1 day, it won't be worth it. But without it, you'll have a hard time getting to Hiroshima for a day without a bunch of money, which you wanted to save... you'll either need a bullet train ticket (there and back) or fly to Osaka and take trains from there. Either way, you're looking at several hundred dollars, I'd say.

If you want a day trip, try Nikko or the Japan Alps, something closer to Tokyo than Hiroshima.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#10 (permalink))
Old
watashi (Offline)
New to JF

01-06-2008, 06:59 AM

I was more so concerned with the budget for a hotel but as I've already booked it and paid for it with my credit card I'm ok on the rest. I'm not saying I'm going crazy and spending money everywhere, but I should have enough to have a good time.

This is what I got from another forum regarding a trip to Hiroshima.

Quote:
Shinkansen operate from 6am to midnight. The earliest and latest hikari connections would be:

06:36 depart Tokyo
10:46 arrive Okayama
10:51 depart Okayama
11:30 arrive Hiroshima

6 hours in Hiroshima

18:09 depart Hiroshima
19:44 arrive Shin-Osaka
20:23 depart Shin-Osaka
23:19 arrive Tokyo
now if that would be doable, 6 hours isn't a lot of time which is why i was thinking I might just stay the night if thats the case.