LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-11-2008, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdrag0n View Post
well i can understand why japanese people hate foreigners sometimes. the only foreigners ive seen here are the loud, obnoxious types in the bar or club trying to pick up every single girl they see. of course this isn't true for every foreigner living in japan, but as a japanese person, seeing this kind of stuff over and over on the weekends makes me feel a little annoyed. there are the types who come to work here with genuine feelings while others just want to sleep with as many girls as they can...and those are the ones that ruin for the rest of the gaijin here...unfortunately.
There are a certain type of people that go to bars that are full of gaijin hitting on Japanese girls weekend after weekend, and they tend not to be people that hate gaijin.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
01-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdrag0n View Post
while others just want to sleep with as many girls as they can...and those are the ones that ruin for the rest of the gaijin here...unfortunately.
tbh, that is the fault of Japanese girls - they are gullable to the point of lunacy and it's no wonder many (most?) gaijin go on a sex-fuelled rampage when they hit Japan
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
01-11-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I am one of those apparently rare people who honestly has never experienced any negative racism in Japan. Ignorance, yes, positive discrimination, yes - but nothing negative. At least not from Japanese. And I have been here 10 years.

Although I suppose I should put a disclaimer - I speak Japanese fluently. It seems to me that most of the time (not always, mind you), what people interpret as racism is something more like language discrimination. They`re afraid to commit to anything with someone that cannot sufficiently speak the language. I`ve never had a problem with finding an apartment. As soon as it was made clear that I understood the forms, requirements, etc without support, everything was fine. Japan doesn`t really have a lot of faith in translators, they like the person in question to actually understand. Way too many foreigners here try to weasel their way out of agreements and payments by playing the language card. "I didn`t fully understand" "That was never translated to me" etc.

Language discrimination is something you can find just as strongly in the US. It isn`t something limited to Japan.

its not rare =P

i've never had any racism... then again i look japanese.

but neither have any of my many friends in Japan are study abroad or travel alot.

The reason i love japan so much is b/c its so friendly peacefuly and easy going.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-11-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
tbh, that is the fault of Japanese girls - they are gullable to the point of lunacy and it's no wonder many (most?) gaijin go on a sex-fuelled rampage when they hit Japan
News Flash;
You know the type of girls who hang around gaijin bars, using crappy English, and acting cute and gullible? They`re not gullible. They`re what would normally be called a "slut" outside of Japan. The only difference is that the guys who come to Japan (for sex) don`t realize that, and think they`re getting a cute little Asian prize.

In other words, you don`t go to a pick up bar if you don`t want to be picked up. They`re there because they *know* what goes on, not because they`re gullible. You`re the gullible one for believing that they don`t have a clue.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-11-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
News Flash;
You know the type of girls who hang around gaijin bars, using crappy English, and acting cute and gullible? They`re not gullible. They`re what would normally be called a "slut" outside of Japan. The only difference is that the guys who come to Japan (for sex) don`t realize that, and think they`re getting a cute little Asian prize.

In other words, you don`t go to a pick up bar if you don`t want to be picked up. They`re there because they *know* what goes on, not because they`re gullible. You`re the gullible one for believing that they don`t have a clue.

nah, most japanese girls are pretty gullible or, at the very least, easy to win over with money. I'm not talking about the shitty bars in Roppongi either (The girls in gas panic are pretty pathetic tbh).

The fact English teachers sleep with so many of their students is pretty good evidence in my opinion...

Last edited by chachava : 01-11-2008 at 11:46 AM.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

01-11-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The fact English teachers sleep with so many of their students is pretty good evidence in my opinion...
In the time I unfortunately had to teach English, and encounters with English teachers afterward - the girls that sleep with their teachers sleep with ALL their teachers. They get a thrill out of sleeping with the foreign teacher, and will move from one to the next. I`ve never, in my whole 10 years of being here, heard of a girl who slept with her teacher and ended it with just him... No, to be totally honest, I`ve never heard of a girl sleeping with her teacher who hadn`t slept with less than 3 other teachers.

ETA; I know of WAY too many gullible male teachers who thought the girls were serious, proposed, had a kid, and then had her run off for the fresh foreign face after less than a year.

Last edited by Nyororin : 01-11-2008 at 11:52 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-11-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
In the time I unfortunately had to teach English, and encounters with English teachers afterward - the girls that sleep with their teachers sleep with ALL their teachers. They get a thrill out of sleeping with the foreign teacher, and will move from one to the next. I`ve never, in my whole 10 years of being here, heard of a girl who slept with her teacher and ended it with just him... No, to be totally honest, I`ve never heard of a girl sleeping with her teacher who hadn`t slept with less than 3 other teachers.

Clearly things work very differently in this part of Japan then... got quite a few friends (who teach english, all ex-nova teachers the poor fools lol) who slept with girls, ditched them then got crying voicemails (or e-mails) from the girls saying they loved them etc.

Now I am not condoning their behaviour but I have seen some really ugly western guys hook up with some good looking girls out here - no chance in hell would they ever get that kinda girlfriend back home
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

01-11-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Clearly things work very differently in this part of Japan then... got quite a few friends (who teach english, all ex-nova teachers the poor fools lol) who slept with girls, ditched them then got crying voicemails (or e-mails) from the girls saying they loved them etc.
I don`t see how that rules out anything? I know back when I was in school in the US, there were plenty of girls who would fall head over heels for a guy, threaten suicide and cry to him on the phone for days... But then hop right in bed with the next a week later. Why is this an impossibility in Japan? The only reason I can think of is that you have this strong image of Japanese girls being cute and gullible, and not capable of that sort of thing.

I didn`t say they were calculating girls who didn`t care a thing for the guys. My guess is that they get a thrill out of the new love thing in the beginning of the relationship. I`m sure everyone can think of a girl who loves one guy to death, thinks he`s THE ONE, she`s ready to die for, etc - until the next comes along. Japanese girls are not somehow magically different.

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Mattleninja (Offline)
I cannot be defeated

01-11-2008, 04:07 PM

XD I would never teach English, ever. I'm actually planning on going there with my degree in Psychology to work in that kind of field, unless being a popstar or something gets in the way

And I forgot to mention that I am studying Japanese (I've been studying for about 15 weeks now, I know all my hiragana and katakana *dances*) so come two or three years down the line I should be alright I figure. Additonally I plan on taking a 'placement year' in Japan to get a feel for it before I really decide on whether it's the kind of place I'd like to live.

Again thanks for the helpful replies.

(#20 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

01-11-2008, 04:34 PM

I hate it when people put Japanese girls into a box. I mean, they're just like any other girls. :/

Q: Who cares what other people think?!?!
A: Japanese people do.