JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
DarkRose (Offline)
New to JF

Heres something new - 07-04-2008, 09:03 PM

Wow, my first question. I think this is in the right forum but I'm not sure. Sorry if something like this has already been asked, I looked around and turned up no results. Anyways, yes, where was I? First question, the one thats been bugging me a while. Heres a familiar opening line "Im afraid to go to Japan because.....I love anime?" Seem stupid? Allow me to explain myself.

So I plan on taking a trip with my bf to Japan late '09 or early '10, an anime tour to be exact. Im extatic. I mean what could be better then having your sweetheart hold you under a storm of cherry blossoms? Seems like a dream right? I think so too. But an old concern has come up again and I think I'll be more at ease knowing some kind of answer.

I am quite aware that in Japan, like any other country, some people like anime, and some don't. I'm ok with that. But I've heard some thoughts that anime actually has a really bad rep there, so far as some people ignoring you upon hearing you like anime or manga. I have also heard other views that some people actually are honored we as Americans are so interested in something from thier shores. This is a bit confusing. I can understand frustrations towards people who pretend to like anime just to be in the fad, and pretend to know everything about Japan when they don't. Believe me, this is insulting to me too when I try so hard only to learn little.

Now why is this important to me? I'm not just a fan, but what I want most is to be a video game designer, and I was heavily influenced by games like KH and FF. So to me going over there and talking to say...Tetsuya Nomura and saying "I'm a huge fan, and would love to do this" only to be flipped off would hurt a little...ok alot. I'm sure anyone with similar goals to my own would understand where I'm coming from.

So once you've sorted out my side of the story, the questions are really simple, and I'd truely appriciate an honest answer from someone with first hand experiance over there. Because I'd love to know what awaits my trip, and my carreer choice. (Note, I'm going even if they dont approve XD). Any response would be helpful to the newbie. Thanks!

Q 1: What do the Japanese really think of American anime fans and cosplayers?

Q 2: How are foreigners who want jobs such as manga ka accepted over there? (I.E. Ameri-manga and the like)
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Wasabista (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2008, 01:39 AM

Rose, like the song says, "You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself."

Who cares what strangers think? Do your own thing! It's your plane ticket, right?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
VampireGirl1314 (Offline)
~I cant leave you~

Location: Japan 日本国, Jk Jk I live in Mexicali Mexico Baja California.
Send a message via MSN to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Yahoo to VampireGirl1314 Send a message via Skype™ to VampireGirl1314
07-05-2008, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRose View Post
Wow, my first question. I think this is in the right forum but I'm not sure. Sorry if something like this has already been asked, I looked around and turned up no results. Anyways, yes, where was I? First question, the one thats been bugging me a while. Heres a familiar opening line "Im afraid to go to Japan because.....I love anime?" Seem stupid? Allow me to explain myself.

So I plan on taking a trip with my bf to Japan late '09 or early '10, an anime tour to be exact. Im extatic. I mean what could be better then having your sweetheart hold you under a storm of cherry blossoms? Seems like a dream right? I think so too. But an old concern has come up again and I think I'll be more at ease knowing some kind of answer.

I am quite aware that in Japan, like any other country, some people like anime, and some don't. I'm ok with that. But I've heard some thoughts that anime actually has a really bad rep there, so far as some people ignoring you upon hearing you like anime or manga. I have also heard other views that some people actually are honored we as Americans are so interested in something from thier shores. This is a bit confusing. I can understand frustrations towards people who pretend to like anime just to be in the fad, and pretend to know everything about Japan when they don't. Believe me, this is insulting to me too when I try so hard only to learn little.

Now why is this important to me? I'm not just a fan, but what I want most is to be a video game designer, and I was heavily influenced by games like KH and FF. So to me going over there and talking to say...Tetsuya Nomura and saying "I'm a huge fan, and would love to do this" only to be flipped off would hurt a little...ok alot. I'm sure anyone with similar goals to my own would understand where I'm coming from.

So once you've sorted out my side of the story, the questions are really simple, and I'd truely appriciate an honest answer from someone with first hand experiance over there. Because I'd love to know what awaits my trip, and my carreer choice. (Note, I'm going even if they dont approve XD). Any response would be helpful to the newbie. Thanks!

Q 2: How are foreigners who want jobs such as manga ka accepted over there? (I.E. Ameri-manga and the like)
I think the Japanese should be happy to know that they inspire us Americans
to draw and everything i know i am happy because i love to draw anime.^_^

I could never be happier.
I found my missing piece and i know he wont leave me.
song by simple plan.
+{Member of the Crusnik Clan--Crusnik 04}+
+{Codename: Abel}+
I'm sorry for acting like this...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
DarkRose (Offline)
New to JF

07-05-2008, 03:04 AM

Normally I honestly wouldn't care what others thought of me, but in a sense where ill be making said carrier of it, it feels like I really should care. I plan on going on the trip reguardless, but I would like some insiders insight ya know?

A rose by any other name would have just as many thorns...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
ChisaChi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-05-2008, 03:12 AM

I don't think it's that weird... anime and games are just a part of Japanese media, so I'd imagine it would be like a Japanese person saying they love Lost, or Harry Potter, or something from a country not their own. Would you think any less of them for it?

The people in Japan that I mentioned liking anime too didn't have either reaction - I guess they felt it was interesting, but weren't actually that into anime themselves so had the same 'oh, that's nice' reaction that anyone who doesn't share the same interest as me gives, regardless of nationality XD If you're fanboy/fangirlish to a point that you're going to Japan with naiive expectations you might get fellow foreigners thinking your strange, but I doubt you'll get any Japanese people being rude to you because of it.

chisa@flickr - photos
ChiGarden - blog
chisa.deviantart - art + crafts
(#6 (permalink))
Old
DarkRose (Offline)
New to JF

07-05-2008, 03:15 AM

Yes, I love my anime and vid games, I have fandom coming out the yinyang and I cosplay...but only at cons. I dont think Japan is some magical land, theyre a country with culture and problems like any other. But I love the culture and history there too. Ill admit Im a fangirl, but I DO know the diff between reality and fiction.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-05-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:

1. What do Americans think of Japanese that love rodeos?

I don't think there is a universal answer, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

2. "Manga-ka" is a "job" like "movie star" is a job. I don't think anyone would make fun of the fantasy as long as you are realistic about its prospects.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
DarkRose (Offline)
New to JF

07-06-2008, 06:39 AM

Threads such as this..

HTML Code:
http://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/11097-otakus-annoying.html?highlight=cosplay
is what I was talking about. That apparently liking anime and manga don't go over too well in the Japanese population. Why would we it suddenly be ok for us to be the anime fangirls and boys that we apparently are. I don't mean to start an argument, I'm just curious.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-06-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Threads such as this..

HTML Code:
http://www.japanforum.com/forum/anime-manga/11097-otakus-annoying.html?highlight=cosplay
is what I was talking about. That apparently liking anime and manga don't go over too well in the Japanese population. Why would we it suddenly be ok for us to be the anime fangirls and boys that we apparently are. I don't mean to start an argument, I'm just curious.
Liking manga or anime is fine in Japan. Being obsessive or on-your-face about it will get you negative looks.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-06-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
1. What do Americans think of Japanese that love rodeos?

I don't think there is a universal answer, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.
That may sound silly to some, MMM, but that is a great analogy!

Being from Texas, I do sometimes encounter the foreigner who is an over-the-top fan of rodeo or at least who thinks all Texans should wear cowboys hats and ride horses.

While I enjoy rodeos, have more than one cowboy hat, and learn to ride horses as a child, none of this is a major part of my life. I know one Japanese guy that looks really good in his tight jeans, western shirt, and Stetson, but he could get some strange looks wearing that style just to hang around the mall.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.