JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Osaka and Kyoto! (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/11615-osaka-kyoto.html)

kunitokotachi 01-15-2008 08:19 AM

You can go to Namba, but I suggest not going to "American Village." I used to go there just for Tower Records but it was annoying. Those of you that have been there probably know what I'm talking about.

samurai007 01-15-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunitokotachi (Post 357736)
You can go to Namba, but I suggest not going to "American Village." I used to go there just for Tower Records but it was annoying. Those of you that have been there probably know what I'm talking about.

Heh, I thought it was interesting to visit, a view of how some Japanese view America (through a distorted lens). The giant T-rex on top of the building is cool too!

MMM 01-15-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samurai007 (Post 357738)
Heh, I thought it was interesting to visit, a view of how some Japanese view America (through a distorted lens). The giant T-rex on top of the building is cool too!

I don't think any Japanese thinks Ame-mura looks anything like America. The Tower Records moved to Umeda, but Ame-mura is worth checking out once for the experience. I usually like to visit when I am Osaka as they have some great collectibles shops.

kunitokotachi 01-15-2008 09:03 AM

Has American Village changed? You mean there aren't any Caribeans or Africans harassing people there anymore? I never understood why they felt it ok to go outside and bug people to look at all there hiphop gear. They would try to grab people and pull them into the store. That was really really annoying and they were so persistent. I got into an argument once because the guy got upset because I told him I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a fubu shirt. He was trying to sell it for over $100.

MMM 01-15-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunitokotachi (Post 357744)
Has American Village changed? You mean there aren't any Caribeans or Africans harassing people there anymore? I never understood why they felt it ok to go outside and bug people to look at all there hiphop gear. They would try to grab people and pull them into the store. That was really really annoying and they were so persistent. I got into an argument once because the guy got upset because I told him I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a fubu shirt. He was trying to sell it for over $100.

I've seen those guys, but they have never bothered me. I wouldn't say they were "harrassing people". I have never seen one lay a finger on a person. That's the way it's always been to me, and I have been going there since the mid-90s.

kunitokotachi 01-15-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMM (Post 357746)
I've seen those guys, but they have never bothered me. I wouldn't say they were "harrassing people". I have never seen one lay a finger on a person. That's the way it's always been to me, and I have been going there since the mid-90s.

Maybe they are selective with who they bother? I guess I did look like the kind of person that would listen to hiphop; I did back then but I can't stomach it anymore. One guy actually started yelling at me in the shop and calling me crazy. Then he started talking about how crazy Americans are and how we waste all our money at the club but won't buy a shirt. The first time I went a guy spoke to me in Japanese because he thought I was 100% Japanese. Then when he found out I was half Black and he was like, "hey brother I'll give you good deal on some clothes."

MMM 01-15-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunitokotachi (Post 357747)
Maybe they are selective with who they bother? I guess I did look like the kind of person that would listen to hiphop; I did back then but I can't stomach it anymore. One guy actually started yelling at me in the shop and calling me crazy. Then he started talking about how crazy Americans are and how we waste all our money at the club but won't buy a shirt. The first time I went a guy spoke to me in Japanese because he thought I was 100% Japanese. Then when he found out I was half Black and he was like, "hey brother I'll give you good deal on some clothes."

That could be. I probably DIDN'T look like the type that would wear hip-hop fashion, so they didn't waste their time.

samurai007 01-15-2008 10:29 AM

Since we're talking about Osaka, I scanned a few more pictures of it into my computer:

Top left is "Montana the Dinosaur" (as I call him) in American-mura.

Top right is the Osaka Aquarium, which I visited with 2 Japanese friends you can see in the picture.

Bottom left is Dotonburi street and the famous crab sign there.

Bottom right is the Osaka Hard Rock Cafe behind Namba station, which is a lot of fun (but can have very long waits for a table.) I still have the souvenir t-shirt I got from there. In the circular building you can see behind it in the picture is the great used manga shop I mentioned.

aiaiaiai 01-15-2008 11:56 AM

mmm..

2 Attachment(s)
All I tried to say is that If she went there,she would need to pick up the shops before go there.
I think she should select only the famous shop whose article appear in magazin.

by the way,she can read various Mangas in Kyoto International Manga musieum.
京都国際マンガミュージアム

Besides it,the Kyoto station building is well-konwn for the view of the top,where you can also buy something inside.
the white tower in this pic is the "Kyoto Tower",where you can survey the view aroud Kyoto city with a fixed binocular,feeding coin into the machine.
you would find out various temples and shrines there!

HimawariChan 01-15-2008 04:40 PM

Thanks for all the great tips!! I'm sure It'll help me alot!! ^^

and thanks filiadragongurl for your tip about where I can stay! I really want to go to Den-den town!! =D

And thanks aiaiaiai an Samurai007 for all the info and the lovely pics!