(#11 (permalink))
Old
Ichigo2013 (Offline)
Sound Village for LIFE!!

Send a message via MSN to Ichigo2013 Send a message via Yahoo to Ichigo2013
01-16-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
300 dollars a day!? Single hotel room--> about $50, Two meals--> $100, transport-->$30; so unless you're buying loads of souvenirs, this figure can be reduced.
lol and the two meals can be reduced to about 75$, you don't have to spend ALL your money and show it all off. You can eat good, but pay less. You might even be able to get that down to 50$ for two meas and still eat really good.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-17-2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeyes34 View Post
Wow 50 dollars a day? Thats pretty cheap for a hotel room.
The business hotels (closet sized room...tiny tv) I saw were about $100 dollars a night in Tokyo. The last place I stayed at in Ueno was I think about $170 a night (for two double beds...a normal looking hotel room). The capsule hotels were $40-$60 dollars a night.

Sure, the figure can be reduced. 300 dollars a day is a safe number if you want to do more than just ride on a train all day. If you want to see stuff and buy stuff, I wouldn't go with less than that.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)
I wuvs Rikku the most! <3

Send a message via MSN to AoshiShinomori
01-17-2008, 04:28 AM

Japan is pretty expensive that way. I'm still saving up in an attempt to make a trip there T_T. Hopefully I'll get there some day

Omae mo kanjite no ka... kaze no koe?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
yukiya (Offline)
New to JF

01-17-2008, 06:58 AM

why isn't anyone considering staying in a hostel ?
It only cost 2500 yen per night (probably around 20$us )
(#15 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiya View Post
why isn't anyone considering staying in a hostel ?
It only cost 2500 yen per night (probably around 20$us )
I was about to suggest that myself. Seems quite a few people I've come across go on about how nice hostels were and how affordable they were.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Kan (Offline)
New to JF

01-17-2008, 12:30 PM

it seems expensive fro mthe get-go. I was just wondering whether or not the flight to and from is the most expensive part of such a trip.[/quote]

I live in Japan. There are many cheap hotels. I sometimes use Manga Kitsa. They open 24 houses and there are comic and we can use Internet in private room. (I think it is need to be resisterd but it is no problem if you can use a little Japanese.) Manga kitsa is about 20 dollers.
However, it isn't comfortable. I stayed there but I wanted to stay at hotel.

I think cheap hotel costs about 50 doller per night.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-17-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichigo2013 View Post
lol and the two meals can be reduced to about 75$, you don't have to spend ALL your money and show it all off. You can eat good, but pay less. You might even be able to get that down to 50$ for two meas and still eat really good.
When I was there, I regularly ate for $30 per day or less, though I wasn't in Tokyo. I got a bowl of good ramen, donburi, or yakisoba for $5-8, a full teishoku meal for $8-12. Drinks are always overpriced in a restaurant, so just drink tea or water with the meal (which are free) and get a soda, milk, iced coffee, beer, etc from either a vending machine or supermarket (where it'll be 1/2 to 1/3 the price it is in the restaurant).

Small business hotel rooms (not in Tokyo) were $40-60 in my experience.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kan View Post

I live in Japan. There are many cheap hotels. I sometimes use Manga Kitsa. They open 24 houses and there are comic and we can use Internet in private room. (I think it is need to be resisterd but it is no problem if you can use a little Japanese.) Manga kitsa is about 20 dollers.
However, it isn't comfortable. I stayed there but I wanted to stay at hotel.

I think cheap hotel costs about 50 doller per night.
Spend the night in a internet cafe? Again, I ask why fly all the way to Tokyo to vacation like a homeless person?
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-17-2008, 07:23 PM

How about staying in a youth hostel? I know it's a European thing but there's got to be something like that in Japan. The ones in London are totally affordable (about 20 pounds per night = 40 USD/€) and Tokyo isn't more turistic than London, is it?

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#20 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

01-17-2008, 07:32 PM

How do you guys spend so much??? My friend recently came back from tokyo and he spent $25 per night on hotel! Fair enough it was the basics, but what the heck are you gonna do with a luxury hotel when you'll hardly be in it??

As for food, he spent about $15-$25 per day (on average) for breakfast, lunch and dinner while still having nice food! But of course, sometimes he went to exquisite restaurants, but he said they wern't that special because a nice meal in a standard restaurant is just as good!

I think people generally let themselves go when they're on holiday, but if you're careful you can have a great time whilst not spending so much. This way you will leave more money for souvenirs or technology or anime or whatever you want!