JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-17-2008, 11:31 PM

You know, I can honestly say that if I were to visit Japan, I probably wouldn't buy anime. I barely buy it now here at home. lol I would only buy a series if I really really really like it. The main "anime series" I want is the Yoroiden Samurai Troopers boxset with both dub/sub eps. Good luck on finding an official version of that. >_>;;

Overall, I can see where noodle is coming from. I wouldn't want to spend a lot on a hotel either. Maybe something sensible with the basic necessities, since I would go sightsee and such and probably wouldn't even be in the hotel much.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-18-2008, 02:28 AM

25 a night at a hotel? I'd REALLY like to know where that is. You don't get those prices in small towns in the US.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
SeeD (Offline)
poke me i dare you

Send a message via MSN to SeeD
01-18-2008, 02:50 AM

tokyo international youth hostel (kagurakashi, shinjuku-ku) - 35 dollars per night

Yoyogi Youth Hostel (Shibuya-ku) - 40 per night

Sakura Hotel (chiyoda-ku) - from 35 per night

there is planty places like that

you dont need eyes to see, you need vision

Family:
My personnal puppet master - Suki
Brother - Thunda, pandayanyan
Little Sisters - Hoshichan, Ayame90, cassiechan, QuoyaNatsume, MusicLuver, Sachiko
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
01-18-2008, 05:04 AM

okay lets seed some of the truths and myths out of these posts.

Yes, it IS possible to find a place to stay for 30-50 dollars a night.

No, it will not be comfortable and very small limited space where you can barley put your luggage.

Yes, you will most likely have to share a room with a stranger who is traveling around.

No, a DECENT one room hotel will not be under 100 dollars a night.

Your looking at 100 min to 175 a night for a one room, one bathroom 1 desk hotel room.

You CAN lower your costs of living and what not.. but dont expect to be comfortable by any means.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

I personally do not like youth hostels.

1 there usually full of other travlers
2 your usually sharing
3 i dont trust my items being around other travelers
4 facilities arent that great or clean
5 your sharing the bathrooms and showers with many other people
6 your also sharing the kitchen with other people

HERES the main point i want to get through.

if your planning on staying a week or two at a hostel

most Hostels have a 7 day maximum stay limit.

ALSO you are not guaranteed you keep you room for 7 days
they can move you around from room to rooms.

example of this is

say you have a 4 person room for 25 dollars a night, and you share with another person and a couple.

if a group of 4 comes in and is lookin for a room, all 4 of you will be moved and split into another rooms to accommodate the 4 that just came in so they can be 2gether..

this means you have to move all your stuff to another room.

this can happen a lot.

some youth hostels also have a 3-4 max stay.

also some have weird rules that i won get into but ill say it again, you get what you pay for.

if your gona plan a trip to japan, just make sure you have the funds to do so.

and as for the person talking about those 20 dollar a night places with comics and computers.

those are basically like lil lan centers, you dont get a room, you get a cubical.

there are shower facilities which is shared by every one, and you cannot be loud what so ever...

very strict rule about noise.

also they will not let you stay there all night with luggage and stuff.

also some places now charge by the hour. around 500 yen per hour

if your goin for a week just get a hotel for 100 a night, if your goin for any thing longer then 2 weeks, go with a apartment you can rent from sakura house.

My apartment in takanawa was awesome, 2 bedroom down stairs livin room and kitchen and shower. around 600 a month splitting with a roommate.

it ends up to be 20 dollars a day with a roomy or 40 if you want a pimp apartment to your self. and have room for guest.

what i did was registered the room for one person and then had my friend come stay with me any ways.

ended up bein super cheap

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
01-18-2008, 05:09 AM

as for food, if you can live on Yoshinoya and Pepper lunch the entire trip then its more like 12 dollars for 3 meals.

i personally cant and like eating sushi and going to nice restaurants.

i basically traveled from Takanawa to Shibuya to harajuku to roppongi and back to takanawa every day. only cost about 10 dollars taking buses and trains.

if your gona take cabs then yes it will be very expensive.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#26 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-18-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post

No, it will not be comfortable and very small limited space where you can barley put your luggage.

Yes, you will most likely have to share a room with a stranger who is traveling around.

Your looking at 100 min to 175 a night for a one room, one bathroom 1 desk hotel room.

You CAN lower your costs of living and what not.. but dont expect to be comfortable by any means.

I found many business hotels for $40-60 per night all over Japan. I never shared a room with anyone, and I always had a tiny bathroom of my own in the room. Yes, it was very cramped and small, basically a bed, small desk with a tv on it, 1 chair, and the bathroom. But it was comfortable and clean, and you are only going to sleep and shower there, the day will be spent exploring the town.

Now, Tokyo may be different... I used the JET Tatami Timeshare when I visited Tokyo (you put your name on a list agreeing to let other JETs stay in your apartment when they come to town. In exchange, you get a copy of the list and may stay at their places, with prior approval of course). But from Nagasaki to Matsuyama, Matsumoto to Hiroshima, I found reasonably priced business hotels with ease, either no reservations or just a few days ahead.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#27 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

01-18-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
25 a night at a hotel? I'd REALLY like to know where that is. You don't get those prices in small towns in the US.
I'm not sure WHERE he stayed. But this litteraly took me a couple of seconds to find!

Economy Backpackers Hotel NEW KOYO
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-18-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
I'm not sure WHERE he stayed. But this litteraly took me a couple of seconds to find!

Economy Backpackers Hotel NEW KOYO
Wow. That's pretty amazing.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

01-19-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housetek View Post

I personally do not like youth hostels.

1 there usually full of other travlers
2 your usually sharing
3 i dont trust my items being around other travelers
4 facilities arent that great or clean
5 your sharing the bathrooms and showers with many other people
6 your also sharing the kitchen with other people

HERES the main point i want to get through.

if your planning on staying a week or two at a hostel

most Hostels have a 7 day maximum stay limit.

ALSO you are not guaranteed you keep you room for 7 days
they can move you around from room to rooms.

example of this is

say you have a 4 person room for 25 dollars a night, and you share with another person and a couple.

if a group of 4 comes in and is lookin for a room, all 4 of you will be moved and split into another rooms to accommodate the 4 that just came in so they can be 2gether..

this means you have to move all your stuff to another room.

this can happen a lot.

some youth hostels also have a 3-4 max stay.

also some have weird rules that i won get into but ill say it again, you get what you pay for.

if your gona plan a trip to japan, just make sure you have the funds to do so.

and as for the person talking about those 20 dollar a night places with comics and computers.

those are basically like lil lan centers, you dont get a room, you get a cubical.

there are shower facilities which is shared by every one, and you cannot be loud what so ever...

very strict rule about noise.

also they will not let you stay there all night with luggage and stuff.

also some places now charge by the hour. around 500 yen per hour

if your goin for a week just get a hotel for 100 a night, if your goin for any thing longer then 2 weeks, go with a apartment you can rent from sakura house.

My apartment in takanawa was awesome, 2 bedroom down stairs livin room and kitchen and shower. around 600 a month splitting with a roommate.

it ends up to be 20 dollars a day with a roomy or 40 if you want a pimp apartment to your self. and have room for guest.

what i did was registered the room for one person and then had my friend come stay with me any ways.

ended up bein super cheap
I'm sorry Housetek, but I think you've exaggerated a bit there! 100 - 175 for a decent room? For that price my friends have stayed in a 4 star hotels in tokyo! And by 4 star, that means luxurious room, not decent!

As for Youth hostels and sharing. Yeah, sometimes they can be a hassle if you want to be alone, but sometimes, it can be a great experience! There are also plenty of youth hostels that can give you single rooms with a shower and tv in your room.
Most places i've travelled i've stayed in hostels. HK, Edinburgh, Rome, Milan, Barca, Beijing etc. and i've never had a problem. For example in HK. I stayed at a youth hostel for $15 per night. They gave me a compacked room with a high bed and shower and tv. This was during a busy period where EVERY hotel seemed to be filled. Yet, this was really great. There was a small internet and cafe room to chat with other travellers. Yeah, it was tight and we weren't allowed to make a lot of noise, but that was one of the best things about it. I think when you're travelling and exploring a lot, you'd like some peace and quiete when you finally get to sleep!

Anyway, the point i'm trying to make. Of course going for the expensive stuff might be nice, but it definately isn't a necessity! Heck, i'd prefer to sleep at a camp sight for $5 rather than spend 175 on a hotel room that i will spend 6 hours in!
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Kal3ido (Offline)
Radical Dreamer

Send a message via AIM to Kal3ido
01-20-2008, 07:04 PM

@Housetek- Is there a website for sakura house?

And how much is everyone spending on tickets. I know my school can send me there for $800 roundtrip.

"There Are No Coincidences In This World. There's Only The Inevitable"
Color Of The Week -Blue