JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
Well what about vacation? - 01-18-2008, 08:40 AM

Tonight, I've seen a couple threads pop up about living in Japan. Over the month or so that I've been here, I've seen a lot of these. I don't find a lot of threads about a simple vacation, though. Rather, about a short trip meant for "Japan-enlightenment" (and not necessarily a 'vacation').

Personally, I have no intentions--at present--to live in Japan. But I DO really really really want to go there. Cruise through Tookyoo, visit Oosaka (my sensei's hometown and location of my pen-pal's law firm), maybe even check out Kyoto. It'd be nice to see Okinawa, too.

So, for all you guys that know a lot about what life is really like in Japan, what are your suggestions for those people that want to "visit" Japan just to see it?

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
reptilesandsamurai (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-18-2008, 08:54 AM

Try this out

Intermixi Japan Tours

Reptiles have silly grins
Dark eyes--shiny teeth--some have fins
Samurai they smile never
Serious--pretty swords--very clever
(#3 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-18-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post
Tonight, I've seen a couple threads pop up about living in Japan. Over the month or so that I've been here, I've seen a lot of these. I don't find a lot of threads about a simple vacation, though. Rather, about a short trip meant for "Japan-enlightenment" (and not necessarily a 'vacation').

Personally, I have no intentions--at present--to live in Japan. But I DO really really really want to go there. Cruise through Tookyoo, visit Oosaka (my sensei's hometown and location of my pen-pal's law firm), maybe even check out Kyoto. It'd be nice to see Okinawa, too.

So, for all you guys that know a lot about what life is really like in Japan, what are your suggestions for those people that want to "visit" Japan just to see it?
Well, as someone that lived there, my advice would be to spend relatively little time in the big cities and get out into the countryside a bit (including many smaller cities like Nara, Nagasaki, Takayama, Matsuyama, or Himeji) Sure, see some of the shopping districts, night clubs, and skyscrapers, but honestly, I just don't care much for big cities (I grew up in a small city surrounded by farms and countryside) and all big cities seem much the same to me. Instead, visit temples, historical places (like castles or museums), see the wild deer and monkeys at either Nara or Miyajima, visit a festival if possible, enjoy parts of Japan that are a bit off the beaten tourist path, if you know what I mean.

Eat local foods and be willing to try new things, talk to the local people if possible (I often had strangers approach me and talk with me, or help me if I needed it).

There are some international guide services in various parts of Japan that can help guide you around, tell you the history of the place, etc... look them up! (Here's one group that I became good friends with: http://www.wixas.or.jp/ewixas/eindex.htm)

Try to stay in a variety of places... a ryokan or minshuku 1 night, a temple stay another night, a business hotel another, etc.

Try visiting an onsen at least once! (Be sure to learn proper onsen etiquette, such as washing first at the shower, not just getting in the hot spring.)

Take a good guidebook with you... I liked Lonely Planet the best. It was a huge help innumerable times in finding accommodations, getting around, deciding what to visit, etc. I never left home without it!

Be sure to take a good camera and lots of film/storage.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
01-18-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reptilesandsamurai View Post
That looks pretty neat! If I ever get the funds to make it over there, I'll definitely consider some of their programs.

But what about things like... I dunno... Seeing Japan as it really is? I know there are some programs that can place you with a host family for a short term visit and such. Would anyone recommend going that route?

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.

Last edited by Amnell : 01-18-2008 at 09:21 AM.