JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Stech (Offline)
New to JF

Need some help with deciding what to do in Japan. - 01-20-2008, 11:04 AM

Hey,

A friend and I are going to Japan for 3 weeks in march. We are staying with a friend of ours for the duration there. He lives in Kobe.

My friend and I want to see as much as we can around Japan.

Currently in the first week we are staying with my friends grandmother in Kyoto so we will see lots of stuff there. Second and third week we are staying in Kobe. My friend said he would show us around kobe and osaka during that time.

I am wanting to goto tokyo and see other places if possible(my japanese friend wont be with coming with us). So I was thinking of purchasing a Rail pass (money for the pass isn't a problem). My idea was to goto tokyo for a few days, is it possible to travel there in the morning then return in the afternoon/night? then do that 2-3 times. Since it wouldn't cost (anymore) with the Rail Pass.

Since my friend and are don't have much experience with Japanese. We know a little just the basics mainly. Can anyone recommend some self guided tours or where I can get some info on places to see in Tokyo and how to get there, costs for attractions etc.

If anyone has any other suggestions for what to do while we are over there or anything to make our stay more enjoyable that would be great.

Thanks, Matt

Last edited by Stech : 01-20-2008 at 11:08 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-20-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stech View Post
Hey,

A friend and I are going to Japan for 3 weeks in march. We are staying with a friend of ours for the duration there. He lives in Kobe.

My friend and I want to see as much as we can around Japan.

Currently in the first week we are staying with my friends grandmother in Kyoto so we will see lots of stuff there. Second and third week we are staying in Kobe. My friend said he would show us around kobe and osaka during that time.

I am wanting to goto tokyo and see other places if possible(my japanese friend wont be with coming with us). So I was thinking of purchasing a Rail pass (money for the pass isn't a problem). My idea was to goto tokyo for a few days, is it possible to travel there in the morning then return in the afternoon/night? then do that 2-3 times. Since it wouldn't cost (anymore) with the Rail Pass.

Since my friend and are don't have much experience with Japanese. We know a little just the basics mainly. Can anyone recommend some self guided tours or where I can get some info on places to see in Tokyo and how to get there, costs for attractions etc.

If anyone has any other suggestions for what to do while we are over there or anything to make our stay more enjoyable that would be great.

Thanks, Matt
Well, here is the post where I described my 8 day trip through eastern Japan. Kobe is about the same distance as Hashimoto from Osaka, so it should work out fine if you like it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
It's up to you, you may have very different tastes than me. But on my 8 day trip through eastern Japan, I spent it like this:

Day 1: Leave my home in Hashimoto-shi, Wakayama-ken, travel to Lake Biwa, visit a fishing village, travel on to Kanazawa.

Day 2: Explore Kanazawa, especially the beautiful park, travel to Takayama.

Day 3: See Hida Folk Village and old part of town.

Day 4: Hiking in the Japan Alps, travel to Matsumoto.

Day 5: See Matsumoto Castle, travel to Tokyo.

Day 6: Explore Tokyo, especially looking for manga, see Hachiko statue, Harajuku, Shibuya, etc.

Day 7: Day trip to Nikko, north of Tokyo, to see temples there.

Day 8: Travel back home from Tokyo to Hashimoto.

I was able to see and experience a wide variety of Japanese culture and settings, from perfectly sculpted Kanazawa Park to the wilds of the Japan Alps, from the historical shrines, folk village, and castle to modern day Tokyo. I had a wonderful time, and I just can't imagine what I would have done spending all that time in Tokyo instead of sampling the variety that Japan has to offer. But to each his own.
I also took a 9 day trip through western Japan, with an itinerary that went something like this:

Day 1: Travel to Hiroshima, see A-bomb dome and Peace Park.

Day 2: Take ferry to Miyajima Island, spend all day there exploring, return to Hiroshima that night.

Day 3: Travel to Fukuoka/Hakata, eat real "Hakata ramen" for dinner.

Day 4: Day trip to see shrines and sites around Fukuoka

Day 5: Travel to Nagasaki, see park and some sites.

Day 6: Spend all day exploring Nagasaki, including the "Foreigners Island", some famous churches, temples, museums, and residences.

Day 7: Spent morning in Nagasaki before heading to Beppu, arrived too late at night to see much there.

Day 8: Travel to Matsuyama by ferry and then train, enjoyed Shikoku scenery, spend well over an hour relaxing in the 2000 year old Dogo Onsen that evening.

Day 9: Head back home.

I was really impressed by Nagasaki, lots to see there, much of it very historical and unique. It's a beautiful city. The whole trip was a lot of fun.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan