JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
tchijiiwa (Offline)
New to JF

Hop to Hong Kong - 01-22-2008, 05:22 AM

I'm visiting Japan next week but would love to meet some friends and check out Hong Kong. All the price quotes from here in Canada put a return ticket at about $500. Are there cheaper alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Tak.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
DeadMamoth (Offline)
New to JF

01-22-2008, 05:43 AM

You could try swimming. But if you are un fit, I would suggest something else.

Tell me, are you booking from Canada to Japan to Hong Kong to Canada?

This kind of travel is expensive sometimes. It is better to buy the tickets from the departure country. I.e. buy your ticket from Japan to Hong Kong in Japan, and your return to Canada in Hong Kong. However, the problem with this is some countries wont let you in unless you have a booked out going ticket. Some airlines wont even let you on unless you have an on ward ticket. This always pisses me off.

The reason it is cheaper to buy in the departure country is the airlines offices from there give better deals for their own countries. You can end up paying twice as much as you normally would if you book all several flights in Canada.

The other alternative is buy them yourself at the airlines web sites with a credit card. This is probably the overall cheapest way if you can manage it, because then you dont have to pay the booking agent, which is usually around 30% of the money you give them is for them.

You will learn when you travel enough the best way to do things.

Good luck.