JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
henriette (Offline)
New to JF

Lost in the metro cards... - 01-23-2008, 12:33 AM

Hi everyone!
I will be in Tokyo in the end of March for a 4 days business trip to the Tokyo Anime Fair. The fair is located at Tokyo Big Sight, and I will use the Yurikamome monorail to get there (my hotel is in Ginza).
I understand that it is a private metro line.
Does anyone know if it is possible to find a card or a pass valid for all the lines, the TOEI, the Tokyo Metro and the Yurikamome?
Thank you very much in advance for your help, I am completely lost!

henriette
(#2 (permalink))
Old
filiadragongurl (Offline)
Japan Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to filiadragongurl
01-23-2008, 01:50 AM

If you don't get a better answer by the time you get there you can *try* to ask people who work in the stations if there is anything like that. It would work better if you can say it and understand their response in Japanese, but you can give it a go in English too. In Tokyo there is more apt to be someone who can speak English at least... Sorry I can't help you more! Good luck^_^ Oh, and tell us how the fair was!!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
01-23-2008, 03:38 AM

ALL the lines in Japan are private...

You are probably better off just paying for individual tickets at stations if you are only going for 4 days
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-23-2008, 04:57 AM

Chachava is right. You might be able to buy a book of ten tickets, at a 10% discount...which will still be more expensive than 8 to and from tickets you need to buy.

Buying train tickets in Japan is a "rite of passage" of sorts, but really, couldn't be any easier. As long as you know where you are going and where you are coming from, you will have no problem. No one will benefit from lying to you about the price (and it will be the same both ways, and every time you ride). After the first day you'll be an expert.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Buying train tickets in Japan is a "rite of passage" of sorts, but really, couldn't be any easier. As long as you know where you are going and where you are coming from, you will have no problem. No one will benefit from lying to you about the price (and it will be the same both ways, and every time you ride). After the first day you'll be an expert.

Even easier is to just buy the cheapest ticket then use the fare adjustment machines on the other side! That's what I did when I first came here before I bought my suica!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
henriette (Offline)
New to JF

01-23-2008, 09:38 AM

Thank you for your answers!
Actually it will be my 2nd time in Tokyo, as I went to the Anime Fair last year too - but I made a big mistake last time: I bought my tickets from a machine, thinking that, as in France, I can keep them after using, and give them to my company as a receipt for a refund (it is a business trip).
I didn't know that the machines "eat" the tickets in Tokyo ... and I had to pay myself for all the transport!
The last day (my day off), I managed to buy a "One-day Travel Pass" (this time with a receipt ), but I am afraid it is not valid for the Yurikamome line, as it is neither a TOEI or a Tokyo Metro line (that is what I meant by "private", chachava)

Anyway, thank you for your help!
I will try to ask the people in the stations as you said, filiadragongurl; I don't speak japanese at all, and even if I learn the question in japanses, I'd be unable to understand the answer, so... I hope I will find somebody speaking English!

Thank you very much again!!
PS: And sure, I will tell you how the Fair was
(#7 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-23-2008, 10:16 AM

YURIKAMOME

looks like you can get a travel pass (1-day) for it...

Hope that helps!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
henriette (Offline)
New to JF

01-23-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
YURIKAMOME

looks like you can get a travel pass (1-day) for it...

Hope that helps!
Thank you so much! This is really helpful
Have a nice day!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-24-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriette View Post
Thank you so much! This is really helpful
Have a nice day!
no problem, enjoy your trip!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

01-24-2008, 04:05 AM

get a prepaid train cards, that way all your travels will be recorded on the back of the card and you can use it as a receipt too. the machines wont "eat" those cards as they are also collectibles. you can get in kiosk, at the machine itself , minimum is usually 1000yen.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------