JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Vesperd (Offline)
Sit back and Chill.. :]

01-26-2008, 01:22 PM

yes i agree with you noodles, you get to see more travelling alone, i have a guy who is just looking for girls, a guy who is crazy about anime, a guy who is into music producing and his girl friend, and a girl who i dont know much about.. hmm a diverse group, not sure if we all want to see the same things at the same time, there might be conflict. Another reason to travel alone.

Thanks for the encouragement Tsuzuki, i am going to need it, if i book my ticket.

yukiya you are a nice person for offering me that, but it seems you are going in March, i am booking in March

2006 - Japanforum, remember it.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
01-26-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuronekoaus View Post
How hot does it get? I like hot weather and would most likely go to Japan when it's Winter at home, therefore Summer in Japan.

Edit: Like main cities in the middle island
30-36degrees heat (in Tokyo region anyway) which isn't insanely hot but that is not the main problem... the worst part is the 95%+ humidity which makes the overall climate really muggy and nasty. You will sweat like crazy by just standing still, even in the shade

Easily the worst time of the year to be here in my opinion
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-26-2008, 05:37 PM

I don't think it's a good idea to travel on your own if it's a holiday trip. You're not really going to enjoy your stay there, it'd be rather boring... visiting places and not having anyone to share your views with or even discuss what route to take, that's part of travelling.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#24 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-03-2008, 03:59 AM

Maybe you should wait at least another year before going to Japan. You may think you're more responsible than the average teenager but that doesn't mean much. I wasn't like the average teenager either and thought I knew it all and had everything figured out. Looking back at those years I see just how foolish and confused I really was. With years comes knowledge, sometimes. You seem like a responsible kid but give it some time.

Go with your best friend in a year. Don't even bother going with a bunch of people you're not really close with. Just going with your best friend is key. Going with too many people will be chaos because I would imagine Japan has a lot of things to do and see and the situation would get frantic with everyone wanting to do different things and just settling on what to do may lead to arguments and people taking sides on what to do and may alienate one another. Having only one person with you will lead both of you to compromise much easier and do something you can both enjoy.

One year will really benefit you emotionally and mentally as you gain more knowledge and maturity and will better appreciate the trip than you probably would now. I think giving it some time is most important right now. Just look back one year ago when you were 15 and how you are now. I am 21 right now and I already feel like I'm much more knowledgeable now than I was just 1 month ago or even last week. Japan isn't going anywhere so just go in a year. You'll see how one year can really make a difference and make your experience much more enjoyable.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-12-2008, 07:54 AM

Did you disappear or something? Anyway, it may even be best to go alone to Japan without anyone. Even if you go with your best friend there will still be many disagreements and one of you may be irritated at the other person most likely. If you must go with someone then make it only one person because you can always split up and do your own thing around the city in case of an argument or disagreement on where and what to do. When you go alone it gives you an opportunity to take everything in around you and you will be more aware of your surroundings because you know that there's no one you know near you so that can make the situation more exciting.

I know you may want to experience Japan with someone else by your side that shares your excitement but you can always meet other travellers at the hostels and this will give you a better chance to meet and talk with them if you're alone than if you were with someone else. When you're with someone else you may not care to meet other people because you figure that you have your friend with you so there's no need to meet new people and you just focus on your friend the entire time instead of people all around you. Being alone almost forces you to want to meet other people. I think meeting a bunch of new people at a foreign land will be much more exhilarating than going with someone that you've known for a long time and it may be a wise idea if you want to save the friendship that you care about because arguments on the road can be common.

Last edited by GhostBlade : 02-12-2008 at 08:14 AM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-12-2008, 07:59 AM

I like travelling alone when I can. I don't mind eating alone in a restaurant or seeing a movie by myself. But if I remember correctly the OP was 18 or so...that might be a little young for such an adventure.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
GhostBlade (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-12-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I like travelling alone when I can. I don't mind eating alone in a restaurant or seeing a movie by myself. But if I remember correctly the OP was 18 or so...that might be a little young for such an adventure.
The OP isn't 18 just yet but I recommended he wait until he's 18 before going but I doubt he'll wait until then if he really wants to go. If he really wants to go then maybe he should. He could meet other people on the road and use them as support in case he gets overwhelmed. I'm sure people at the hostels will be accepting and help him out. I'm sure there will be many people from the U.K. that can guide him and give him some comfort in case he gets too overwhelmed by the new culture. Having some beer with new people that you meet can never hurt, or just drink by yourself.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
mogarge (Offline)
Unkown member

Send a message via MSN to mogarge
02-14-2008, 02:32 AM

I've travled a lot in many different places alone or with someone.
And you know?!! I have been saving the Travel to Japan even though that I really wanna go there.
why?!!!!!....
hmm ... good question .
Why y y!!!!!!........... I forgot!!!!!
AHH!!
because I want to enjoy the travel. a lot of things that I really wanna see during a short period.
how much time I'll waste to look for something in a place that I don't know, and imagine when you are alone waiting just to get there "no chatting or loughing". I guess in this case you'll cut half the enjoyment "tell me about it ".and this is japan, I don't want to waste any single second.
that's why I want to make sure that I have a good company(one or two, no more no less)
I will go this May or June, if my friends didn't change their mind.

hey man!!!, do something that you'll keep it in your memory not camera memory.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
georgiajulian (Offline)
New to JF

Going it alone - 02-17-2008, 08:26 PM

I have been to Japan by myself many times. Spent my late teens to early 20's there on a working holiday.

Depends where you're going, where you want to stay and whether you want to associate with gaijin or nihonjin while you're there.

If you want gaijin company, stay at youth hostels and join tour groups. If you want nihonjin company, stay in ryokan, or japanese style accommodation and talk to the people there. Often the proprietor is very helpful.
Before I became a travel agent, I spent most of my travel accommodation in Japanese inns from the Japanese Inn Group. JAPANESE INN GROUP

Some of them are dodgy, but they're cheap and easy to book. Have a sensational time and let us know how your stay went when you get back!
HTH!

Georgia Julian

Travel Agents that Work From Home
Click here to request more information.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
opmgirl (Offline)
New to JF

03-04-2008, 01:33 AM

i travelled alone at that age and it did my confidence wonders!
i'd say go for it! if you stay home you'll only regret not going! and you'll have more freedom on your own to do as you please too, so stuff em!