JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Should i go Japan Alone? (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/11986-should-i-go-japan-alone.html)

Vesperd 01-25-2008 09:55 PM

Should i go Japan Alone?

Hello fellow Japanforumers, as some of you may know I am VesperD.. and I've been planning to holiday in Japan this summer. Me and a group of friends actually, or so i thought.. well 5 of us was initially down for going Tokyo this summer break but so far only 2 out of 5 has come through as being reliable, the other 3.. lets just say they are lucky to even buy a ticket let alone spending money. And even so, there is not knowing what will happen to the reliable 2 from now towards summer.

So i was wondering, IF.. it turns out I really am going alone.. would that really be ok? im in a
dilemma; whether i should stay with my friends this summer or chase my dream of holidaying in Japan this year. I have saved up enough for a ticket which i will be booking this March, and £500.. right now im trying my best to find a Job so i can really spend over in Tokyo.

As you can see my Dilemma is really bugging me out, and im usually not a stressful person.. im chilled on good days.. and on bad days( lets just say i havent had one in a very long while).

I really want to go Japan this year, and then again I don't because I'm really not sure what to expect, its less of a surprise if you are with a companion.. you know what i mean?

That is why i wish to hear your opinions/assurance, or if anyone can share their experience in Japan with me, and anyone in the community wondering the same. Any tips or advice people would like to give to a first time solo flier? What can i expect, how much cash is enough?

I do realise the majority of the JFers havent been Tokyo before, let alone travelling there solo, so on the behalf of the unspoken and people wondering the same; is travelling alone at a young age to a big city really ok? or.. what is is your opinion? Im 16 and living in London by the way.
Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I just want help from the same site that i have come to call home, where i have learnt so many things, and made so many friends. Enlighten me please.

Thank You for Reading, if there are any questions you would like to ask, anything you wish me to clarify, feel free.. please and thank you. :ywave:

chachava 01-25-2008 10:39 PM

All depends on how you feel to be honest...

I have had very few problems getting around since I got here but I had a lot of help settling in so I don't really know how it would be with no/little help

Best advice would be to NOT travel in July/August though... the summer climate here is pretty nasty (especially for us brits who are used to dry summers!)

koaku 01-25-2008 10:41 PM

lol Im going to Japan...in august...alone too lol me its for 2 or 4 yrs...Im really sorry i cant help more...

anyway im in august in tokyo I already have a flat there(my dad hav one) if you need something just PM me! Good Luck for your trip!

Fijah 01-25-2008 10:45 PM

To be honest, I think you're too young to go to Japan by yourself. Wait at least 2-3 years more. And going alone is hard as hell. Would be another thing if you went in a group.

Look at me, I've been waiting to go to Japan for I dont know how many years. And this year I finally can go with enough responsibility for myself, a good friend to enjoy this with and enough cash. Makes it a lot more worth it even if you may have fun by yourself.

At least thats what I think.

ChikiChiyo 01-25-2008 10:57 PM

I say you should go! i have been to japan on and off over the past 10 years alone be brave! be an explorer!

Vesperd 01-26-2008 10:07 AM

Thanks for replying guys :)

to chachava - yeah i know what you mean chachava, if the summer climate in Japan is the same as it is in Vietnam and Singapore i guess i have no problems, as for settling in i dont plan to for a while.

Oh i also noticed you are staying in Yokohama, hence the location.. i have some relatives staying in kanagawa, if its near to Tokyo i plan to visit.

Koaku - hey there Koaku, pretty cool that you're staying in Tokyo, how old are you?.. and thanks for the offer, i will gladly help you in return( if you need anything) :D

Fijah - thanks for your opinion Fijah, really appreciated.. i understand where you're coming from, but there are several reasons why i wish to go at a young age. Primarily my dream is to travel the world, and my first stop at legal traveling age shall be Japan.. or so i thought. 2nd, i wish to take on a student exchange programme in uni in a few years, so i can study abroad ( hopefully in Japan), that is why i wish to experience Japan young.

Fijah i agree with you.. about experiencing it with friends, i was thinking the same thing.. what is a holiday if you have no one to experience it with? share the moments, but right now.. i am not sure if its a holiday, or a solo venture.

Dont get me wrong, i am not your typical teenager i can take care of myself.. and a very responsible guy, but at the same time i am always looking for fun.

ChikiChiyo - thank you for the thumbs up, seems like you are the only one not against me travelling today :)

koaku 01-26-2008 10:10 AM

Im 19...if you looking for a flat or anything in august its ok for me lol you 'll be my first mate in Japan lol

kuronekoaus 01-26-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chachava (Post 374182)
Best advice would be to NOT travel in July/August though... the summer climate here is pretty nasty (especially for us brits who are used to dry summers!)

How hot does it get? I like hot weather and would most likely go to Japan when it's Winter at home, therefore Summer in Japan.

Edit: Like main cities in the middle island

Vesperd 01-26-2008 10:17 AM

thanks for the thumbs up Koaku, are you jamaican? one of my friend most possibly travelling with me is Jamaican :D, if i do go we could hang out!

that would be pretty cool, if i could stay at your pad.. not so sure if my friends join.. but yeah I'll keep your offer on that one.

MMM 01-26-2008 10:27 AM

At 16 you are not going to be able to book a hotel by yourself, so unless you have places to crash, it might be tough.