JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

04-24-2008, 04:47 AM

On the insurance thing. I bought a 1 year world cover policy, covers winter sports ect. For me it was worth the peace of mind as I was in USA for 3 months and if things go bad there it can cost big time.

On hitting Shinjuku on your first day after a plane trip, well let me just say dont get there in the morning, also try to find a online map of the exits as that place still confuses me and I have been there 6 times.

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#62 (permalink))
Old
Nao (Offline)
JF Regular

04-24-2008, 05:34 PM

-removed, various reasons

Last edited by Nao : 06-17-2009 at 12:41 AM.
(#63 (permalink))
Old
iammako3 (Offline)
New to JF

04-27-2008, 06:26 AM

Oh wow, this topic really threw me off since I'm doing almost exactly the same thing! ^_^ I'll be staying in Nakano (in Tokyo) from May 31 to July 2 with no concrete plans, though I do have a few ideas on what I want to do. I have a Mitsuwa (Japanese marketplace with a travel agency inside) near me so I actually got pretty cheap tickets. $940 round trip direct flight from Chicago! However, I'm splurging on the rental apartment, which costs almost $3,000. -.- And then there's the 1 week JR rail pass for when I go to Kyoto or wherever else. . . lots of $$, but it'll be worth it!

I'm so excited about this trip! Originally I was supposed to go over as a Nova teacher, but, uh, they folded. :-( So this is going to be my best vacation ever!!!!!

My tentative plans so far are:
*Over night trip to Kyoto
*Kabuki at the Kabuki-za Theatre
*Sanno Matsuri
*Dontsuku Matsuri (because who can resist a fertility festival where geisha carry around penis statues?)
*self-guided Shibuya tour based on the DS game The World Ends With You
*meeting up with a guide to show me Akihabara
*meeting up with a guide to show me either Yokohama or Kamakura
*going to the Metal Gear Solid 4 release party, if there is one

Sound like fun? Any other stuff you guys can suggest? Anyone want to meet in Japan? That'd be fun! (Can you tell I'm a bit keyed up about this trip?)
(#64 (permalink))
Old
Dennehy (Offline)
New to JF

04-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I already posted my phone guide but ill copy and paste it to make things easier

Every time i come i rent a phone for hundreds of dollars! Bills get pretty expensive.
Docomo Wants up to 300 for 2 months and other companies are around 120-130 a month.
But this time i went with a Skype/ Softbank combo.
Ill explain.

There is softbanks all over Tokyo, the one i went to was in Roppongi across from the Almonds in the crossing.
They speak Very fluent english and will set you up with a phone within a hour.
TO buy a prepaid phone its 70 dollars you can pick from 2 models and 2 colors for each. *black, blue, and white and black*

This phone you can keep for ever, no need to return or mail back, its Yours.
All you need to do is buy a top up card for 3k Yen or 5k yen.
Its 90 yen per minute but its free incomming.
So you can call some one hang up and they can call you back and you get free incomming calls.
Text msging is 15 yen per text and free incomming.
They also set you up with a free soft bank email account
*yourname* @Softbank.ne.jp
mine is Housetek @softbank.ne.jp
okay so heres where the Skype part comes in

I like to keep in contact with all of my friends and family from the states and i want them to call me freely when ever they want.
So on skype for 12 dollars i bought a US number for 3 months in the area code all my friends and family live in.
its a PA/NJ number.

Then i put call forwarding on, and have all my calls from my skype from the US
forwarded to my japanese Prepaid Cell.

So my friends and family can call me ANY time they want with out being charged international rates and all of their phone calls go directly to my skype which then forwards them to my Prepaid in which i get Free incomming calls.
Pretty nifty.

So if your looking for a phone in japan, instead of buying one at the airport you can try my method.
Which will cost you 70 dollars for the start up phone which you can use forever, 12 for 3 months of Skype number i also put 25 dollars into Skype credit but i always have skype credit on it just in case i want to call internationally back home. and then the Prepaid top up is 3k yen for 60 days.

my last PHone which i go from Narita airport cost me 150 dollars for one month
and a previous one cost me 150 for 2 weeks!
so i belive this way will save alot more money. also its very convenient cuz once you have the phone and you want to Top up next time you come back to japan you can buy a topup card at Any AMPM, lawsons or Sunkus.
Copied that from Housetek's guide to Tokyo.
(#65 (permalink))
Old
Nao (Offline)
JF Regular

05-05-2008, 07:30 AM

(#66 (permalink))
Old
Nao (Offline)
JF Regular

05-13-2008, 09:55 PM

Update: 18 days until I depart. I ordered and received ¥20,000 for money after landing. Bought just about everything I needed to, and as per your advice MMM, I got a credit card. Platinum status, $1000 limit, no annual fees, etcetera. My bank approved me right on the spot. Just waiting for the card to arrive now so I can activate it.

Over the next few weeks I may be sending a few of you private messages concerning things discussed here or otherwise. Thanks for all the support so far.

Note: Of course, as my luck would have it, my camera (and the 4gb card inside of it) have gone missing. I'm searching for them and hope I can find them. Worst case scenario, I go without one. Likely case scenario, I borrow one from a friend. Best case scenario, I find my camera.

Thanks.

-Nao
(#67 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-14-2008, 12:36 PM

Maybe you can free up 200 bucks of your budget and get a new one in Japan. This is a great opportunity to get a new camera

Have fun, and show us some pics if you do find your camera or ended up getting a new one
(#68 (permalink))
Old
Nao (Offline)
JF Regular

05-15-2008, 11:44 PM

(#69 (permalink))
Old
iammako3 (Offline)
New to JF

05-20-2008, 03:29 AM

Ah! Sorry, I haven't checked here in a while. ^_^ We should meet for lunch or something sometime! Also, I didn't hire guides — they're volunteers from a website devoted to that sort of thing. I figure I can use the guide one day and then go back again to self-discover. Especially in Akihabara!

Anyway, let me know if you want to do lunch or anything else! It's coming up so fast!!!! ^________^
(#70 (permalink))
Old
Nao (Offline)
JF Regular

05-28-2008, 04:57 AM