JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Embassy and Consulate - 08-06-2008, 11:39 PM

Ok, call me the idiot and explain to me the difference between an embassy and consulate? I've read the Wiki article explaining it but I just don't get it. I understand that sometimes they're in the same location but sometimes they're not.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2008, 12:11 AM

An embassy is basically the main building that a foreign nation has in a country. There is only one embassy per foreign country. For example, the American embassy in Minato-ku (Tokyo) is the only embassy in Japan. However, consulates are "mini embassies," which operate at a smaller level, have less authority, and usually are in most major cities of country. In Japan, there are American consulates in cities all around the country. There are American consulates in Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka, and Okinawa. There may be more, but I'm not sure.

Basically, the embassy is the big boss and the consulates work for the embassy

I
沖縄           My blog
(#3 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2008, 02:09 AM

So to deal with visas and such should I go to the embassy or consulate? And which consulate would I go to? I'm right in the middle of the Osaka and Fukuoka consulates.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rina26 View Post
So to deal with visas and such should I go to the embassy or consulate? And which consulate would I go to? I'm right in the middle of the Osaka and Fukuoka consulates.
I would contact the closer consulate (by time it takes to get to the consulate) and ask them specifically about the problem if you have one. They'll be able to lead you to someone who can help you out.

However, I myself did take a trip to the U.S. embassy in Tokyo and got a business card from a lady who might be the person to contact. I do remember her saying something about her handling most problems Americans encounter here, like visa and passport issues. I could give you her number and email. If you need it, just PM me.

I
沖縄           My blog
(#5 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2008, 04:31 AM

Thank you I pmed you.

Oh and just found some information I needed. I would be under the Osaka consulate jurisdiction and not Fukuoka.