(#1 (permalink))
Old
ccc (Offline)
New to JF

Shinkansen & JAPAN RAIL PASS - 02-15-2008, 12:28 AM

hi

I'm going to Japan for the first time.
I ordered JAPAN RAIL PASS for 2 weeks.
I'd like to take Shinkansen from Yokohama to Kyoto and from Hakata to Osaka.
how much costs a surcharge for a Shinkansen with a Japan Rail Pass and where can I buy it ?
do I need a place reservation for Shinkansen and how long before a reservation is needed ?

JAPAN RAIL PASS

greetings
ccc
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-15-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc View Post
hi

I'm going to Japan for the first time.
I ordered JAPAN RAIL PASS for 2 weeks.
I'd like to take Shinkansen from Yokohama to Kyoto and from Hakata to Osaka.
how much costs a surcharge for a Shinkansen with a Japan Rail Pass and where can I buy it ?
do I need a place reservation for Shinkansen and how long before a reservation is needed ?

JAPAN RAIL PASS

greetings
ccc
The information is on the very same site you linked to...

How to use a reserved seat

Quote:
Shinkansen,* most limited express and ordinary express trains have reserved Green Car seats and both reserved and non-reserved ordinary car seats.

( The JAPAN RAIL PASS is not valid for any seats, reserved or non-reserved, on “NOZOMI” trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen.)

*There are no Green Cars on most HIKARI and KODAMA trains on the Sanyo Shinkansen line (Shin-Osaka ・Hakata), or on TSUBAME trains on the Kyushu Shinkansen line (Shin-Yatsushiro ・Kagoshima-Chūō)

A non-reserved seat (except for “NOZOMI” trains on the Tokaido and Sanyo Shinkansen) can be used simply by showing your JAPAN RAIL PASS.

Seat reservations can be made without additional payment.To make a reservation, go to any Travel Service Center or a Reservation Office (Midori-no-madoguchi) at a JR station, or to the sales office of a JR-associated travel agency. There, show your PASS, and obtain your reserved-seat ticket before boarding.

Note: Do not use an automatic ticket-reading gate with a JAPAN RAIL PASS or a reserved-seat ticket. Please show the PASS at a manned ticket gate.
To sum up, there are 3 types of bullet train: Hikari, Kodama, and Nozomi. The Nozomi is the fastest of the 3, and JR Rail passes cannot be used on it. The Pass does work on the other 2 types, though, as well as all JR local and express trains.

You make reservations at any Reservation Office in a JR station, or with a travel agent, and it doesn't cost any extra.

Not sure how far ahead, but not too much, I'd think.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-15-2008, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post

To sum up, there are 3 types of bullet train: Hikari, Kodama, and Nozomi.

To be clear...there are three types of bullet trains between Osaka and Tokyo...the three listed above. Different lines use different trains...which is strangely, but cooly, Japanese.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ccc (Offline)
New to JF

02-18-2008, 01:19 AM

thanks,

and which bullet train (valid with JAPAN RAIL PASS and surcharge) operates
beetwen Kyoto and Fukuoka and stop in Okayama and Shimonoseki ?

Last edited by ccc : 02-18-2008 at 02:15 AM.