(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-15-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osakaboi View Post
besides yakiniku
I'm not sure what you mean. "Buffet" usually refers to a place where you pay 1 price and can eat and drink all you want. There are some places like that in Japan, but I don't know of any specifically in Osaka, and I don't know of any that serve yakiniku, which in my experience you typically order (and pay for) by the plate, depending upon the cut of the meat.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-15-2008, 08:55 PM

Many ethnic restuarants have buffets at lunch. I am thinking of Pina Kana (Indian) in Umeda and a couple Brazillian restuarants in Umeda. Shakey's Pizza aslo has a lunch buffet.

Never heard of a yakinuku buffet...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

02-15-2008, 10:38 PM

MMM it is called 焼肉食べ放題 - they are VERY common in japan. cheaper ones usually run you about ¥2300 for 90 mins of meat eating.. but the quality of mean is less than that of the more expensive ones. also you can normally pay something like ¥500 more and get unlimited beer. in the 三条 area in 京都 they are absolutely everywhere.

as for buffet in what i consider the western style, didn't see one while i was there.. but then again i don't typically eat large amounts of food at once.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
osakaboi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-17-2008, 03:56 AM

thank u very much
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-17-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
MMM it is called 焼肉食べ放題 - they are VERY common in japan. cheaper ones usually run you about ¥2300 for 90 mins of meat eating.. but the quality of mean is less than that of the more expensive ones. also you can normally pay something like ¥500 more and get unlimited beer. in the 三条 area in 京都 they are absolutely everywhere.

as for buffet in what i consider the western style, didn't see one while i was there.. but then again i don't typically eat large amounts of food at once.
Even though a buffet is 食べ放題 that doesn't mean 食べ放題 is a buffet.

I have been to some pretty cool 食べ放題 restaurants in Osaka...I think my favorite was about ¥3000 for two hours...and included drinks. That place was four floors, one floor was yakiniku, one was sushi, one was kushikatsu and one was tempura. A lot of fun.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

02-17-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

I have been to some pretty cool 食べ放題 restaurants in Osaka...I think my favorite was about ¥3000 for two hours...and included drinks. That place was four floors, one floor was yakiniku, one was sushi, one was kushikatsu and one was tempura. A lot of fun.
sounds like a great place, will have to check it out. can you remember the name?

as for buffet, it really is defined as being:
a meal consisting of several dishes from which guests serve themselves

so as you said 食べ放題 places are not exactly this as you are served there. the idea of going to a buffet place is when im very hungry and want to eat eat eat.. haha so 食べ放題 fits this bill nicely.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-17-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
sounds like a great place, will have to check it out. can you remember the name?

as for buffet, it really is defined as being:
a meal consisting of several dishes from which guests serve themselves

so as you said 食べ放題 places are not exactly this as you are served there. the idea of going to a buffet place is when im very hungry and want to eat eat eat.. haha so 食べ放題 fits this bill nicely.
I don't remember the name. I wish I did...I'd like to go back. It was in either Shinsaibashi or Namba...

A buffet is a place where food is served in a central location, and customers serve themselves and bring their plates back to their table.

食べ放題 simply means "all you can eat", whether you serve yourself, or if a waiter or waitress brings you food. So "buffet" falls under the larger umbrella of "食べ放題 ".
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

02-18-2008, 12:13 AM

sometimes the there is a an eat all you can sushi in Hankyu Dept. in Osaka/Umeda.. last time I think it was 3000yen for an 1 hour

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#10 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-10-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

That was Kuidaore, I think. If it was, it has closed down. It had the clown "Osaka Taro" in front.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!