JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
SailorBratt18 (Offline)
grrrr to you too buddy!

Exclamation gift for host family? *opinions wanted/needed* - 02-24-2008, 06:33 AM

So I'm travelling to Japan this summer and for 3 days I'll be staying with a host family. Since I'll be intruded on them and their home, I need to get them a gift. But I can't think of anything. Any suggestions on what a nice Japanese family might want from an American? I was thinking that since I live in California maybe I could give them a minitature Golden Gate Bridge but I don't know if that would be lame or what... Help please!!

as small as a world and as large as alone

~+MeMbEr Of ThE VaMpIrE cLaN+~
(#2 (permalink))
Old
miyavikuun (Offline)
Disgraceful murder

Send a message via MSN to miyavikuun
02-24-2008, 06:43 AM

well i think that what ever you give them they will like it since you spent your money on a gift for them and it is a a thing that they dont see often (the bridge)

MUFFIN CLUB!!!
Co-Founder and proud Member of the Miyavi Stalking Society
I own Cat from deathstars!!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SailorBratt18 (Offline)
grrrr to you too buddy!

02-24-2008, 06:54 AM

Yeah I know... I just wanna make sure it's good. I mean I know they'll appreciate it but i want to give them something they'll remember. I don't want to give them something they'll just throw away or sell in a garage sale, you know?

as small as a world and as large as alone

~+MeMbEr Of ThE VaMpIrE cLaN+~
(#4 (permalink))
Old
miyavikuun (Offline)
Disgraceful murder

Send a message via MSN to miyavikuun
02-24-2008, 07:01 AM

yeah i understand but i dont know about a great gift try to get someting that they can use around the house often or something like that

MUFFIN CLUB!!!
Co-Founder and proud Member of the Miyavi Stalking Society
I own Cat from deathstars!!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-24-2008, 07:28 AM

Some kind of food or drink is always good. I'm in northern CA, so I took a bunch of different flavored California almonds when I went. If you're in the bay area, isn't Ghiradelli Chocolate based there? Or maybe a bag of fortune cookies... they were invented in San Francisco. Or maybe some Napa valley wine...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
02-24-2008, 09:03 AM

Very nice flowers or plant.

Very few people know that in Japan, flowers and plants are very nice and great gifts.

They can be costly, but if you go to a nice place and get it arranged beautifully, or arrange them your self, it is a very nice gesture.

A nice bottle of sake is always a nice gesture also.

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-24-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Some kind of food or drink is always good. I'm in northern CA, so I took a bunch of different flavored California almonds when I went. If you're in the bay area, isn't Ghiradelli Chocolate based there? Or maybe a bag of fortune cookies... they were invented in San Francisco. Or maybe some Napa valley wine...
I agree. Japanese homes are small, so food over "display items" is highly recommended.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Shidash (Offline)
JF Regular

02-24-2008, 01:15 PM

But would you be able to get food past customs? Drink you can't get past security with the whole liquid ban.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Firebird (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via ICQ to Firebird Send a message via Skype™ to Firebird
02-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shidash View Post
But would you be able to get food past customs? Drink you can't get past security with the whole liquid ban.
You can keep drinks in the Luggage that you don´t carry with you, you just cant take it in the passenger-room.

I heared from a Japanese that Food is always nice and for Girls a nicelooking Hankerchief. Other than that i think a Towel (maybe some Print saying California) seems to be a typicall Japanese present and you cant go wrong there. I would maybe pick some snacks, get a Towel and some Postcards and maybe something really Touristic (like this Bridge you mentioned).
But im also curios what i should bring over from Germany/switzerland (swiss knife is not good i heared, because you shouldn´t bring knifes at all).

Firebird
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Gabcom (Offline)
New to JF

02-24-2008, 09:39 PM

When I went to Japan with school (not whole school, only 20-30 people), we were suggested to give gifts unique to Australia, or just something Australian that they most likely won't find common in Japan. So I (my mum) bought all these random things like little glass figurines of Australian animals, toy boomerangs for the kids, koala purses for the girls and some other random stuff that I wouldn't really want.
Frankly, I think any kind of gift is fine, as long as it looks like you put a little thought in it (all that counts). If I assume that they think the same as me, the gifts they give you will most likely end up in some corner of a room.
Can't agree with giving them a bottle of sake though, it's something they can just go down the road (or wherever) to buy, doesn't really go well with the experience of hosting a foreigner kinda thing if you know what I mean. That, and they'd probably be giving you a bottle of sake to take back to the family (I received 2 bottles from 3 different families).
And thats what I think.