LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-03-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killrb323 View Post
Well I'm a photographer so I'm planning on spending a lot of time there so I can get more pictures for a book I'm working on. Plus, if I really have a lot of time and money on hand I might just head back to the tokyo area to see more of mt fuji and the onsen that are somewhat close to there.

Plus, never underestimate how much we americans dig the traditional japanese stuff. Hence the book.
Hey, fellow photographer I just finished putting together a photobook of Japan myself... you won't be disappointed....... are you more of a nature photographer or what is the theme of your book? Just travel in general?
(#42 (permalink))
Old
killrb323 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to killrb323 Send a message via Skype™ to killrb323
04-04-2008, 03:48 AM

I'm studying the history behind it as much as I can, but more than likely I will do one small picture book mainly on geisha and their apprentices(can't remember the name atm), and a more in depth book about the progress of japan in the last hundred years with a heavy emphasis on the contrast between where it is now compared to the fuedal nation it was not long ago.

I'll pm you with my skype and msn, maybe we can talk more about your book and travels.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-04-2008, 12:21 PM

I guess you are referring to the Maiko, you can find a lot of them willing to perform a show for you at a lower cost around Gion, its more like "internship" to them, so try your luck around Gion.

My interest in the culture and history spawned as a kid when my dad work there with my uncle
(#44 (permalink))
Old
killrb323 (Offline)
New to JF

04-04-2008, 03:15 PM

Maiko was it. I will definately include that in the plan, thanks for the tip. Honestly I think most americans are just as interested in the maiko as the geisha, but both will get a lot of coverage in the picture book.

My interest kind of came about through anime and wwII histroy as a kid, ever since then I've wanted to go. I would definately regret it if I never got to visit japan in my lifetime. Luckily I was born in a time and place where it's not unusual to do so.

Last edited by killrb323 : 04-04-2008 at 03:18 PM.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
auran (Offline)
< J Rocker :3

Send a message via ICQ to auran Send a message via AIM to auran Send a message via Yahoo to auran Send a message via Skype™ to auran
04-04-2008, 04:03 PM

i think its more than a dollar

The Otakus Crew!!
Join the Otakus Forum
(#46 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-04-2008, 06:32 PM

Its a very open country now. Though, be really really careful around Namba - Dotonbori (Osaka) and Shinjuku area. As much as the country being open, the modern Yakusa are still very traditional, they seem have carried over the "twisted" patriotism thought from the Shinsengumi (late Edo - Meiji period), and they don't like "foreigner" much.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
killrb323 (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2008, 03:41 PM

Is there anything I should avoid doing, or is that just a general "tread lightly" kind of warning?

I've never quite understood how the yakuza operate, or really much of anything about them. So any info would be appreciated.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
kanedova (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to kanedova
04-05-2008, 05:43 PM

World's most expensive cities 2007
1. Moscow
2. London
3. Seoul
4. Tokyo
5. Hong Kong