Depends
yes
What is my opinion about what?
(#3 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

03-10-2008, 06:03 AM

I think it depends on how you look at it.

In general, things are expensive in Japan, but you pay more in exchange for convenience.

Food is smaller but maybe American size is too big? It's something to think about since obesity is much more serious problem in the US. Food is smaller but obesity in Japan is much lower compare to the US.

Also, houses in Japan are much smaller than in the US so people do not buy things in bulks. So this is a great news for the retailers because they can charge more but since people do not have enough space to store items in bulks, people still choose to buy goods in small portion and end up paying more. Only 1/5 of land is habitable in a tiny island so gotta do everything we can to save more space.

To sum up, yea things are expensive but if you come from places like NYC, Chicago, and SF, you won't experience much difference. All the urban cities in the developed world are as expensive as Tokyo.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

03-10-2008, 06:51 AM

i know this is not US$ but i found cost of living in Japan to be comparable to Melbourne, Australia. some items were more expensive some were cheaper. it might have been that it was slightly more expensive in Japan but overall i felt as though cost wise i never left Melbourne.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

03-10-2008, 01:43 PM

Electronics would be cheaper in Japan.

Mostly due to the fact that that's where most of the world's major technology producing company's head offices reside. Sony, Samsung, and Toshiba as an example. Like a 40GB PS3 is about $390 USD. No idea what kind of tax they charge though.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
03-10-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
Electronics would be cheaper in Japan.

I reckon most electrical things are more expensive than back home in the uk (although the strong GBP will win in the exchange rates I guess...) with the exception of nintendo stuff
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Lucyenn (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2008, 03:06 PM

more expensive then US ,that's for sure

<<< TheVoteNation.com >>>
Vote For Japan at
http://www.thevotenation.com
(#8 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucyenn View Post
more expensive then US ,that's for sure
Not necessarily. San Francisco is much more expensive than most of Japan. My apartment in Japan was $480 a month. My apartment in SF was $1440 a month. And food, etc was more expensive in SF than Hashimoto Japan too. You can easily eat well for $5-7 in Japan, while that'll not get you much at most SF restaurants except fast food places.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#9 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-10-2008, 08:15 PM

$480/month for an apartment is pretty cheap, in my opinion, then again, that was the late 90s when you were there. I wonder how much an apartment is now in Hashimoto. Was your apartment's rent subsidized?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-11-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
$480/month for an apartment is pretty cheap, in my opinion, then again, that was the late 90s when you were there. I wonder how much an apartment is now in Hashimoto. Was your apartment's rent subsidized?
No, it wasn't subsidized, that was the full rent. It was a small place, though. But still, most places outside the big cities are not very expensive. The small towns and cities in Japan have actually been losing population as the younger generations move off to the big cities. That makes the small towns a "renter's market", with relatively few people competing for apartments. I'd be shocked if the place I lived in then was more than $550 a month now, considering it's 10 years older.

If you want to live cheaply in Japan, get out of the big cities. The same place in Tokyo probably would have been $900-1000 a month.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan