LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

12-25-2006, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroneko View Post
Before you eat you say "Gochisosamadeshita" which means I gratefully receive. "Itadakimasu" is said after you are done eating (kind of like thanks for the food).
Actually it's the reverse : Itadakimasu before and Gochisosamadeshita after eating.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

12-25-2006, 06:16 AM

Damn your right. See what coming back home for 3 months dose to your Japanese. I think i wrote the right way the first time.

But wow thanks. :craws in to a corner and cries: TT_TT

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."

Last edited by Kuroneko : 12-25-2006 at 06:26 AM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

12-25-2006, 06:47 AM

∧〓∧
 (;´Д`)
 (つ  〇
  ) ) )
 (__)_)

I feel ashamed at my Japanese.

┌─────┐
   |日本語を|
   |知らない|
   └─┬───┘
  彡⌒ミ ∥
 <#`Д´>∥
 (  // つ
 (_Y_)

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."

Last edited by Kuroneko : 12-25-2006 at 06:50 AM.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

12-25-2006, 06:54 AM

I should feel better when I go back to Japan (crap thats a long ways off) TT_TT

Oh yea Don't eat wile you are walking, Japanese find this strange for some reason.

(#15 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-25-2006, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyVampiria View Post
do not at any time stick your chopsticks in rice and leave them there, it is very rude as they only do this for their dead, oh and don't point at things with them either - hope this helps :-)
You have to stick them straight up for it to be completely like a funeral ceremony, but yeah don't leave you're hashi (c'sticks) in the food. You will either have a little tray to rest the tips on or set them on a napkin or the side of your dish. More c'stick etiquette, do not pass food from one person to another using your hashi between the two of you. You can pass the dish or use your hashi to put it on their plate, but no passing from hashi to hashi.

Other stuff, bowing is a big one. Just a nod will do most of the time unless it is something more formal. Three words you need to know, sumimasen (excuse me), gomen nasai (sorry) and arigatou (thanks). They say these three words and variations of them more than any words in the language.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-25-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroneko View Post
Oh yea Don't eat wile you are walking, Japanese find this strange for some reason.
I eat in front of conbini's, on the train and walking down the street a lot. Sometimes, it is an excellent advantage to be able to "pull the Gaijin (foreigner) card" and just act rather casual about doing un-Japanese things. They are going to be paying a lot of attention to you whether or not you are acting a fool so don't be worried about being rude all the time. But don't do something completely stupid like start making out on a crowded train or something. In a bar with a bunch of drunks and a mixed crowd of gaijin, maybe this is okay. I see it sometimes, but otherwise you definitely do not do PDA's (public displays of affection).
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

12-25-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
I eat in front of conbini's, on the train and walking down the street a lot. Sometimes, it is an excellent advantage to be able to "pull the Gaijin (foreigner) card" and just act rather casual about doing un-Japanese things. They are going to be paying a lot of attention to you whether or not you are acting a fool so don't be worried about being rude all the time. But don't do something completely stupid like start making out on a crowded train or something. In a bar with a bunch of drunks and a mixed crowd of gaijin, maybe this is okay. I see it sometimes, but in public you definitely do not do PDA's.
I did see some public displays of affection in japan, but it didn't happen very often.

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

12-25-2006, 07:45 AM

Ramen Noodles etiquette : Slurp sound when you eat Ramen Noodles is the polite thing. It show appreciation for the food. Well, actually the slurping sucks in air with the noodles, cooling them down so you don't burn your tastebuds.

Chopsticks etiquette : The proper way to set chopsticks on a table is to lay them directly in front of the guest, pointing to the left. Pointy end of the chopsticks must rest on a chopstick resting device.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#19 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

12-26-2006, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avary_Ninja View Post
Ramen Noodles etiquette : Slurp sound when you eat Ramen Noodles is the polite thing. It show appreciation for the food. Well, actually the slurping sucks in air with the noodles, cooling them down so you don't burn your tastebuds.
Yeah but don't slurp'em when you are wearing nice clothes. Lots of ramen soups are really greasy and my Japanese washer machine can't handle getting the grease spots out. I think I may need new detergent. But yeah, make noise when you eat. I don't but all the teachers do when eating which gets annoying but what're goin'ta'do? They even slurp pasta with spaghetti sauce all over it. I am like, you know that stuff stains really easy? Well I don't say that, but I think it. Then they all watch in awe as I demonstrate the proper way to twirl the pasta around the fork while using a spoon in one hand and fork in the other. This is what an Italian heritage will do for you. If you eat steak with them, you should do the switch method of knife in the hand you feed yourself with and fork as support to hold the meat while you cut. Then watch them freak out as you eat with the blade. They are like, Kiwosukete Jason-san, Daijobu? Ah culture exchange, always a fun time when traveling overseas. You teach me to pick the bones out of fish and cut meat with chopsticks, and I will show you how to properly eat corn or peas with a fork and a bread roll.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
PrincessKiki (Offline)
New to JF

05-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Wow! This is really helping me to know what to do and what not to do.
Any more tips?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination