JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

General Advice needed - 05-07-2008, 03:30 AM

I'm a Martial Artist and a collage student and I wanted to know about working and Living in Japan. I'm a Language Arts major and I'd lke to work in either a teaching or translating position. I'm also a Martial Artist and would like to know more about the professional tournament circut if anyone knows. I practace Brazilian Jiujitsu and Taekwondo.

It must sound like such a general and probably old topic, but I'd like to put it forward.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
05-07-2008, 03:50 AM

There are several programs you can check out. The Japanese government runs the JET program, plus there are a lot of similar, privately run programs.

For Martial Arts, you should check out the Bujinkan while you're there. It's not real far from Tokyo, but I can't remember the name of the area it's in. The stuff they'll teach you will probably round out your TKD and BJJ experience quite well.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-07-2008, 12:23 PM

To get in the professional ring in Japan is not an easy task, but martial art is not easy to begin with, so if you are able to stand the years of training, I am sure it shouldn't be a problem for you.

Most people, if not all, climb into the professional ring through a series of amarteur open tournament there. You need to find a gym that teaches popular arts in Japan (Grappling, Karate, Judo, Jiujitsu etc), from there you need to participate in their tournament and build a name for yourself first

I am not sure if the amount of training required of you will allow a teaching job sort of speak. I trained in Koryu and TKD before, and during the Koryu training, I had an opportunity to train with some professional fighhers, they are literally in the gym 12 hours a day....