LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kanedova (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to kanedova
Travelling from Wakayama to Osaka - 04-03-2008, 08:59 PM

Hi,
Would anyone know how much the Train costs to travel to Osaka from Wakayama? Is it crowded? How long will it take to travel?

I will go to Wakayama in the Summer, living at my Grandmas place but the school will be in Osaka.

Thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-04-2008, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedova View Post
Hi,
Would anyone know how much the Train costs to travel to Osaka from Wakayama? Is it crowded? How long will it take to travel?

I will go to Wakayama in the Summer, living at my Grandmas place but the school will be in Osaka.

Thanks
I lived in Wakayama-ken 10 years ago, so I can tell you roughly what it'd be, but which city in Wakayama-ken will you be living in? Do you mean Wakayama City?

It takes about 1 hour to get from Osaka to Wakayama City by train, and costs about 900 yen 1 way.

If you'll be living further down the coast, or up the Kinokawa river valley, it could take longer, though there is also a train line from Namba station in Osaka to Hashimoto City in north-eastern Wakayama-ken (where I lived) that took 55 minutes and was 880 yen 1 way (but that was 10 years ago, may cost a little more today).

The trains tend to be pretty crowded while they are close to Osaka (people standing in the aisles, but not jam packed like sardines in a can, like in parts of Tokyo). As the train heads further away from Osaka, it becomes less and less crowded. By 30 minutes out from Osaka, enough people will have cleared out that the remaining people should be sitting down.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan

Last edited by samurai007 : 04-04-2008 at 01:59 AM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kanedova (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to kanedova
04-04-2008, 04:13 PM

hi samurai007,

thanks for the great reply. I will be living in Naganoshima, if that tells you anything. I don't know however where exactly that lies.

Would you by chance know the route and cost from Naganoshima?

Thanks
(#4 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedova View Post
hi samurai007,

thanks for the great reply. I will be living in Naganoshima, if that tells you anything. I don't know however where exactly that lies.

Would you by chance know the route and cost from Naganoshima?

Thanks
I believe Nakanoshima is the name for a section/suburb of Wakayama City. (I don't know of a Naganoshima). If that's correct, then the info I gave before is valid... about 1 hour, about 900 yen, give or take a bit.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Michigan90 (Offline)
JF Regular

04-08-2008, 01:52 PM

Nakanoshima is on the south bank of the Kinokawa. I googled Naganoshima in hiragana, but I found nothing... Nakanoshima usually means an island in the middle of two or more rivers, and perhaps it was in the past. Osaka has a business district named Nakanoshima too.

The JR Hanwa Line (阪和線) has Kii-Nakanoshima (紀伊中ノ島) Station to the north of JR Wakayama (和歌山) Station. Note that Kii Province (紀伊国) is the old name of Wakayama Prefecture.

It's not far from JR Wakayama, Nankai Wakayama-shi, and the castle.

Google map

Wakayama City - Wikipedia

City Government

• 金色のちひさき鳥のかたちしていてふちるなり夕日の丘 に
  • 清水へ祇園をよぎる桜月夜こよひ逢ふひとみなうつくし き

- 与謝野晶子
  • いちはつの花咲きいでて我目には今年ばかりの春行かん とす
  • くれなゐの二尺伸びたる薔薇の芽の針やはらかに春雨の ふる

- 正岡子規

Last edited by Michigan90 : 04-08-2008 at 03:11 PM.