JapanForum.com

JapanForum.com (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/)
-   Japan Travel Advice (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/)
-   -   Teaching English in Japan - JET Programme forum (http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japan-travel-advice/14615-teaching-english-japan-jet-programme-forum.html)

psynnott 04-15-2008 11:51 AM

Teaching English in Japan - JET Programme forum

Hi all,

After discussing this with Kanji, he has given me permission to post here giving information about the JET Programme forum I manage.

It's called I Think I'm Lost (ITIL) - IThinkImLost - and is a major source of information for anyone thinking about applying, currently on, or has already completed the JET programme.

The JET programme welcomes young graduates from all over the world to come and teach English to Japanese students in Japan. It's extremely fun and highly rewarding.

ITIL is a forum for people to discuss the programme and get help and advice with any Japan related issues they are having, anything related to their school or the programme, exchange teaching ideas, exchange Japanese language study advice, or anything else they can think of. The main focus is on help and advice with the JET programme.

If you are interested in the programme, are currently on it, or know someone who is, please feel free to check out our site at IThinkImLost.

Thanks,
Paul
(4th year JET, Osaka)

Tsuwabuki 04-15-2008 12:06 PM

How's Osaka holding up for you? I've heard Osaka's mayor is thinking about cutting off the funding for English teaching. Will that effect you guys?

I'm in interviews for an ALT position, but through a different program.

psynnott 04-15-2008 12:51 PM

Hi,

Loving Osaka - couldn't have been a better placement or school.

I think the cuts he is talking about is just the NET programme, not JET. I could be wrong though.

Tsuwabuki 04-15-2008 12:57 PM

Cool beans. I'm at the last stage for a position in Saitama. A bit more rural, but I'm actually looking forward to. I live in Seoul now, and I'm tired of the big city.

I didn't read anything that gave specifics, so I wasn't sure how he was handling the cuts.

SSJup81 04-15-2008 11:10 PM

I'm a member on ITIL. Sometimes the members there are annoying, though, but some are helpful.

Briant 04-28-2008 12:50 PM

Others JET forums to choose from

There are a number of other forums:

The official JET forum: JET Programme :: Index

The old forum was a bit klunky but the new one is much cleaner and friendlier :)

Big Daikon: BigDaikon

You have to be fairly thick skinned here. Not as civilised as ITIL :eek:

Virtual JET Workshop: The JET-Programme Forum - A Virtual JET Workshop - Index

This one is new and broader based. A good concept but doesn't seem to have taken off yet.:confused:

Gaijin Pot: Japan Forums

Some people post here though it is not JET focused.:rolleyes:

All of the above have different characters so just surf around and choose the one(s) that suit you best.

anrakushi 04-28-2008 01:57 PM

I'm over at ITIL and yeah there are some tough characters there but the idea is to ignore them. another thing is to not language demonstrate as they call it, those tough characters hate seeing any use of japanese unless it is in the japanese learning section.

samurai007 04-28-2008 04:13 PM

I'm a member and frequent poster on the official JET forum, and there are current employees of CLAIR who moderate that board and can give official answers to some questions. (CLAIR manages the JET program). There are quite a few current, former, and incoming JETs there too, and no dodgy characters! So c'mon over if you are looking for info on JET!