JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Altaru (Offline)
I want my Insanity back!

A little money advice... - 04-23-2008, 06:55 PM

I'm really wanting to go on a trip to Japan when I graduate from high school, and it could be anyone from just me alone to two or three of my friends.

I'm just wondering, how much money should I save up? I'm in the last few weeks of my second year right now, so I have a fair amount of time left, I would just like a little advice on how much money, where I should exchange $ for yen (Could anyone teach me how to type that symbol?), among a few other issues.

Could anyone help me?

Squad 11 - Sanity isn't our style.

Emilie Autumn, in the middle. She's amazing. That is all.

"We're all puppets. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."
(#2 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
04-30-2008, 02:35 PM

hmm kinda a broad question because it depends on where you will live with Tokyo being more expensive than say Kuzuha, noodles and rice aren't expensive while beef and fresh fruit is, if you plan to try to eat the same way that you do in America (or really the west) then it will be costly. There really isn't a "best" place to exchange ¥ (can't tell you how to type it though its on my keyboard) the worst place to exchange is the Airport major banks in most counties can order currency given a few days notice, there are decent rates to be found at the airports in Japan and you can get good exchange rates from ATM machines in Japan, Travlers cheques fetch a good rate at Banks in Japan as well (better than just cash) since you have some time I would save your money in $ (or what ever your currency is) and then exchange when the rates are good unless you use the euro which has an unholy high exchange rate right now. Hope this helped
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-30-2008, 03:36 PM

second what the others said, but as a guideline, each year, my travel fluctuates around 200US a day which convers (average out), flight, transportation, food and hotels

Your cost increases if you go crazy with the souvenir and toys
(#4 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

05-01-2008, 12:27 PM

You WILL need to inform you bank that you are using your cards in Japan. All Japanese banks I have used had no problem changing my money. ATMs that will accept your card will be harder to find outside Tokyo. If you are planning a trip outside a major city then carry plenty of cash. You will not be robbed or mugged.
The cost of living can be cheap or expensive depending on the individual.

Never ever ask a Japanese person to speak english "ego ga hanasemasu ka?" as this is a very offensive phrase. better to excuse yourself "Domo sumimasen".

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-01-2008, 02:20 PM

Actually, so far I had no problems finding ATM that will accept my bank card, outside/inside tokyo. Almost all postal outlet will have a machine that accept standard ATM cards.

You can find postal outlet by looking for this symbol "〒", or in Kanji: 郵便局, pronounced yuubinkyoku. If you really need to ask for direction (in which case, the person probably will reply in Japanese anyways or will just point), just simply "Sumimasen, yuubinkyoku wa doko desu ka?" - Excuse me where is the postal office?

Good luck
(#6 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM

forget the post office, 7-11's are everywhere and their 7-bank ATM's accept foreign cards, are open 24/7 (unlike most ATM's including they post office, which have a tendency to have operating hours.. they are getting better though), The  えいごがはなしますか question being offensive would be a first for me, a more polite way would be do you understand English, using Wakarimasuka instead of speak, especially in Tokyo they are used to lost Gaijin especially in the station. Also even though it is unlikely that you will be robbed or mugged I would not go as far as to say you will not be, I could link a half dozen news paper articles on such a thing but my point should be enough, never say never.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-02-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesssymphony View Post
forget the post office, 7-11's are everywhere and their 7-bank ATM's accept foreign cards, are open 24/7 (unlike most ATM's including they post office, which have a tendency to have operating hours.. they are getting better though), The  えいごがはなしますか question being offensive would be a first for me, a more polite way would be do you understand English, using Wakarimasuka instead of speak, especially in Tokyo they are used to lost Gaijin especially in the station. Also even though it is unlikely that you will be robbed or mugged I would not go as far as to say you will not be, I could link a half dozen news paper articles on such a thing but my point should be enough, never say never.
Good advice, I never tried ATM in the banks or 7/11. I actually was thinking of the same line that its safe, but I won't say you will never get rob or mugged. There are areas that are not "Gaijin" friendly, so you probably do want to stay out of those area. Certain corners of kabukicho (歌舞伎ちょ)for example