LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Raisthlin (Offline)
JF Regular

05-04-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakeSan View Post
Gomenasai, for not reacting a little quicker on your post.
I'm going to Tokyo the 2nd of July to 10th of July.^^
I will be staying at a hotel in Iidabashi too.
But i also wanted to try going to Kyoto by using Shinkansen.^^

How about you Raisthlin?^^

Ill be in Kyoto from may 16 to 22 and Tokyo from may 23 to 29. Then ill explore the rest of japan up to june 16. Nikko, Sapporo, Kurokawa, Yakoshima, Hiroshima, Ize, Beppu, Hakone, Fukushima, etc... Ill use the trains A LOT !
(#12 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-05-2008, 12:09 PM

Japan is probably one of the safest place if its not already "THE SAFEST" place to travel alone.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

05-09-2008, 04:58 PM

I have come to Tokyo on my own as none of my friends had the time, money or freedom. I LOVE IT!!! but I am a male

I have had lonely times or rather times I would have liked to experienced with another but I have also had some great times and made great new friends.
I am a Londoner and have felt as lonely and lost in London some times but at least they speak English. But what the hey! Language does not have to be a barrier.

I have the fortune of living in a guest house where many of the other residents are Japanese working people, we have only a few gaijin here. I have always put myself out to communicate and help my fellow residents to make a better community and this had paid off well.
There are a group of us guys that now go out for a meal and drink on a sat night 5/6 of us depending on who has work and the girls floor has just offered to take me out for a meal and drink.

I have found a good local bar where I now have my own Japanese mom who is a master karaoke singer (after a few drinks), she introduces me to the locals and we are going out for a meal next week.

I have made a good English friend over here who is married to a Japanese wife and I am going to their barbeque next weekend in Chigasaki. I have met a cool American guy in the block next door who might be able to find me a job here as he recruits westerners. I have had so much fun it hurts and I still have until the end of June. Oh! plus I have been through a 6.2 RS earthquake and it was soooooooh cool!

For me the key factor is showing respect for your fellow human and in Japan you get this repaid in spades. In London this is seen as weakness and to be taken advantage of as in many other western places. In Tokyo I feel like a human but in London I felt like a number.

I do not regret coming here alone for one moment and would make the same choice a thousand times over. I just wish I could speak Japanese so that my trip would have been so much better but I am just a stupid gaijin having many good times.

Marc.

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#14 (permalink))
Old
hennaz (Offline)
こんにちは!

05-09-2008, 05:48 PM

I went to Japan by myself last year. It does feel a bit strange because you feel as if you're the only white person there, but apart from that, the people there are friendly, and no-one will hurt you. It is unlikely that you would ever be involved in any crime. All you need to do is stay calm, and if anyone looks you in the eye, just smile back.

Hennaz ヘンナズ

(#15 (permalink))
Old
odonata (Offline)
Roboto

05-09-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennaz View Post
I went to Japan by myself last year. It does feel a bit strange because you feel as if you're the only white person there, but apart from that, the people there are friendly, and no-one will hurt you. It is unlikely that you would ever be involved in any crime. All you need to do is stay calm, and if anyone looks you in the eye, just smile back.
mabey you felt strange as you were dressed in the 2004 maids outfit.

Super Roboto Jutsu Powah - Dynamic Servo Death Crush *NeeP*
(#16 (permalink))
Old
aikochan86 (Offline)
JF Regular

05-16-2008, 10:07 AM

I'm a 21yo female and have been travelling around Japan alone for 7 weeks now. It can get a little lonely and I can't say I enjoy eating on my own in restaurants but the freedom you get travelling on your own is great.

You'll be fine.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
hennaz (Offline)
こんにちは!

05-19-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonata View Post
mabey you felt strange as you were dressed in the 2004 maids outfit.
What the fuck?! I was NEVER dressed in a maids outfit. What the hell are you on about?

Hennaz ヘンナズ

(#18 (permalink))
Old
Ito (Offline)
<3 Fahad

05-19-2008, 06:19 PM

im planning to go to japan with a friend. who also loves japan as mutch as me. hugs Ito

i got irc now
find mangas on lurk
my site: http://jennikaisa.hi5.com/
Member in deviantart: ito86
http://13gb.com/pictures/2288/ WTF
protest against facebook!!

(#19 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
05-25-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammako3 View Post
Straight to the point: is it awkward for a foreigner to be travelling alone in Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka (the three places I plan on visiting)?

Story time: My friend who was suppossed to go with me bailed out and I decided to go on my own anyway. I'm a 24 year old female, but to be honest I'm not concerned about the "dangers" of being a lone female in Japan. I know there is always a chance something could happen, but I also know Japan is one of the safest places in the world.

What I'm really concerned about is if it will look strange for me to be eating out alone or going to Kabuki-za and such alone. Most of the people here talk about going places with friends, so I wasn't sure it it was weird to be alone. (Er, also, I have a digital voice recorder I plan to be speaking into as I travel. . . will that be crazy weird as well? I know not to speak on the trains or on tours, but I mean along the street while I walk should be fine, right?)

I do speak some Japanese (probably low grade school level), so i won't be completly helpless. Also, I will be staying in an apartment in Nakano for the month I'll be there. I appreciate any comments, tips, or help! Thanks!

(PS, anyone know about the Dontsuku Matsuri? I want to go, but I'm not sure what day or what time it is.)

alot of people go alone, i see solo people all the time, its always easy to make new friends and stuff. Tourist always run into other tourists and hang out

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan
(#20 (permalink))
Old
sp3cialk (Offline)
New to JF

06-14-2008, 08:22 AM

i'll be travelling alone too (yay 2 wks to go!) im really glad i cam across this thread i really needed the advice