JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
ARose (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ARose Send a message via MSN to ARose
Japan for New Years! - 06-15-2008, 12:32 AM

I'm heading to Japan December 29th or 30th (depending on the flight I get) and will be there in time for New Years and will stay for about a week! I'm so excited!!! (Except for the part where I will be meeting my bf's family for the first time - yikes! Talk about nervous!) Then we're going to go to Kyoto and Tokyo... we thought about going to Hirmoshima too but that's still up in the air.

What do you guys suggest I see in Kyoto or Tokyo? I'm supposed to come up with a plan but I have no idea.

I kind of want to wear a kimono while I'm there though, hahaha. Does that make me sound like a dork? Oh well, I want to anyway
(#2 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
06-16-2008, 04:29 AM

kyoto, more temples which are quite the hit around new years and its fun walking around gion and the old temples in a kimono
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-16-2008, 04:47 AM

Where are you based out of in Japan?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2008, 05:25 AM

If you do have time I would recomend visiting Hiroshima and nearbye Miyajima. Hiroshima is a wonderful "small town." There are several things to see depending on what you like.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-16-2008, 05:29 AM

With only a week, I would hate to see you spend more time travelling then experiencing.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ARose (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ARose Send a message via MSN to ARose
06-16-2008, 08:44 PM

Hmm, that's true. I don't want to spend the whole 10 days on a bus or a train. We'll be in Nagoya for New Years with his family, then travel out from there... no solid plans yet since it's so far away. We're just tossing ideas around
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-16-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARose View Post
Hmm, that's true. I don't want to spend the whole 10 days on a bus or a train. We'll be in Nagoya for New Years with his family, then travel out from there... no solid plans yet since it's so far away. We're just tossing ideas around
With only a week, you could base yourself in Osaka and do day trips to Nara, Kyoto and Kobe pretty easily. All are less than an hour by train from JR Osaka station. There are all kinds of things to see in Osaka, too.

Going to Tokyo you could also do day trips to Yokohama, and there is a ton of stuff to do in Tokyo.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-19-2008, 02:30 AM

With only a week to round, I don't advice you to be going to Tokyo and Kyoto at the same time. It's best for you to anchor yourself either in Tokyo or Osaka (that is if you intend to pop over to Kyoto).

Hokkaido e ikitai........