JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TonyUchiha (Offline)
New to JF

Do you really need a degree? - 05-14-2008, 08:29 PM

hey guys n girls

am planning on goin over to Japan soon and i was going to do a TEFL course before i went, so that i could apply for jobs teaching english in state schools. now iv looked at things like the JET programme and i found a company called I-to-I but sadly they require you to have a degree of some kind, which i dont. Now iv been told that i can still find work out there teaching english even if i dont have a degree. Does anyone out there have any experience with this, has anyone been over and taught english with out a degree and has anyone done a TEFL course?
many thanks
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-14-2008, 08:35 PM

We talked about this very topic pretty heavily here...

Graduate from college if you want to live in Japan.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

05-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyUchiha View Post
hey guys n girls

am planning on goin over to Japan soon and i was going to do a TEFL course before i went, so that i could apply for jobs teaching english in state schools. now iv looked at things like the JET programme and i found a company called I-to-I but sadly they require you to have a degree of some kind, which i dont. Now iv been told that i can still find work out there teaching english even if i dont have a degree. Does anyone out there have any experience with this, has anyone been over and taught english with out a degree and has anyone done a TEFL course?
many thanks
I highly doubt they'd want you without a degree. The impression I got from other members and by reading information, there is no reason why Japan would want you in their country if you haven't got some profession to offer - and this is usually in the form of a degree.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-14-2008, 08:44 PM

The Japanese government does not allow teachers without degrees in their classrooms.

After the NOVA layoffs, you have a country full of experienced teachers, with degrees, looking for jobs in the private sector.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-15-2008, 12:12 AM

Unless you have a valid visa, you cannot work. You cannot get a work visa without having a company hire you. A company will not hire you without a degree.

You need that degree.

You can work without a degree if you already have a visa that allows you to live and work in Japan... Which pretty much limits you to a spousal visa.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-15-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Unless you have a valid visa, you cannot work. You cannot get a work visa without having a company hire you. A company will not hire you without a degree.

You need that degree.
Nice and simple. We should quote what you said in MMM's original thread about getting a degree to work in Japan.....
(#7 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
05-15-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyUchiha View Post
hey guys n girls

many thanks

You can't get a visa. Get a degree if you are serious about doing this
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-15-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
Nice and simple. We should quote what you said in MMM's original thread about getting a degree to work in Japan.....
I said basically the same thing over there, but it`s been buried in the mysterious debate that arose around something so clear.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I said basically the same thing over there, but it`s been buried in the mysterious debate that arose around something so clear.
Well, unfortunately, despite the effort of our kind advice, several people are still not getting it....

In a way, this is kind of sad, seeing young adults who is only mature in their age and not in their mind....