JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tturtle (Offline)
JF Old Timer

writing a japan address - 06-10-2008, 07:11 PM

6-2 Nishi-Shinjuku 6-chome, Shinjuku-Ku, Japan 1600023

On the Tokyo Hilton web page they have the address as above, but it is my understanding that the adress would be written as chome, ban, go as seen below. Anybody know?

6-6-2 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0023 Japan
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-10-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tturtle View Post
6-2 Nishi-Shinjuku 6-chome, Shinjuku-Ku, Japan 1600023

On the Tokyo Hilton web page they have the address as above, but it is my understanding that the adress would be written as chome, ban, go as seen below. Anybody know?

6-6-2 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160-0023 Japan
There are all kinds of ways to write Japanese addresses. Either would probably get it there, but if that's the address they put, then that's the address I would use.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-10-2008, 10:40 PM

I never write it in either of those ways, and always stick to the Japanese order. Apparently, it`s a real pain to sort the mail if it`s written in a different order, so the postal service here tends to be happiest with the regular Japanese order.

So I`ve given my address that way (in romaji of course) to all my relatives and have yet to have a package delivered to an incorrect address - which has happened before when addressed "western-style".

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-10-2008, 10:44 PM

Really? It might be a local thing, as I had friends mangle my address, and it always got to me, but that might be also because I was the only American in a 2 mile radius at the time...
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-10-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Really? It might be a local thing, as I had friends mangle my address, and it always got to me, but that might be also because I was the only American in a 2 mile radius at the time...
This was when we were living in an apartment that was numbered "1-2" in a building 4-3, with another 1-1 in the address.
As all those existed in the building as room numbers, and also existed in the area as buildings, AND as 番地... If the address was mangled, they had no clue which was which. I always got the things in the end - but it wasn`t exactly uncommon for them to try other addresses first.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-11-2008, 06:07 AM

As long as the numbers and location names are there, the letter will find it's way. Addresses written in Romaji are written in opposite order than when written in Japanese.

In Japanese, you start with the postal code, then the address and building name (if the building is named). Then the prefecture, city, and district. Then comes the name of the person whom you are writing.

If writing in Romaji, you write as you would in your own country; name, street address, city and prefecture, then
the postal code and the country.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Tturtle (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-16-2008, 06:10 PM

thanks for the help! it worked out.