JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

Wedding Photographers in Japan - 06-13-2008, 04:38 PM

I am not sure where this thread would belong to. Basically, I am going to be getting married next year, and the honeymoon will be in Japan since my wife to be always wanted me to take her to Japan to show her around.

From my experieince, most photographers work with a chapel or a wedding planner/consultant of some sort, does anyone know of any freelence photographers? I wanted to take a series of wedding pictures in Japan while we are there, traditional ones, we are not looking for the ceremony, just a place that will take pictures for us in traditional clothing (shiromaku). Does anyone know if such a studio exist in Kyoto or Tokyo?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-13-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
I am not sure where this thread would belong to. Basically, I am going to be getting married next year, and the honeymoon will be in Japan since my wife to be always wanted me to take her to Japan to show her around.

From my experieince, most photographers work with a chapel or a wedding planner/consultant of some sort, does anyone know of any freelence photographers? I wanted to take a series of wedding pictures in Japan while we are there, traditional ones, we are not looking for the ceremony, just a place that will take pictures for us in traditional clothing (shiromaku). Does anyone know if such a studio exist in Kyoto or Tokyo?
Yes...I was just at one outside Osaka a few months ago. There are tons of photography studios as people take formal studio pictures for weddings, Coming-of-age day, 7-5-3, etc... The one I was at had dressing rooms full of kimonos and other formal wear. It wasn't cheap, but very professional.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-13-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Yes...I was just at one outside Osaka a few months ago. There are tons of photography studios as people take formal studio pictures for weddings, Coming-of-age day, 7-5-3, etc... The one I was at had dressing rooms full of kimonos and other formal wear. It wasn't cheap, but very professional.
Thanks MMM, I knew I can always count on you to get me info like these Thanks a bunch. Think you can get me a sample quote next time you see one of these studio? I tried searching for one online but no luck.

My last resort will be my uncle, but knowing him, if I ask him to look for me, he will make the reservation and even pay for it for me, and thats not what I want

Thanks!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-14-2008, 07:34 PM

Well, there are a variety of prices. I have seen large (11x17) portaits go for around 300 a piece (including studio time) but also somewhat cheaper...but it is still expensive.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-17-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Well, there are a variety of prices. I have seen large (11x17) portaits go for around 300 a piece (including studio time) but also somewhat cheaper...but it is still expensive.
Hmm, thats not TOO bad if it include the studio time. I actually don't need any prints as I have contact here to do it myself (i do wedding photography on the side myself, so its cheap for me to get prints), I just need someone to take pictures and provide it in digital format
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-17-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Hmm, thats not TOO bad if it include the studio time. I actually don't need any prints as I have contact here to do it myself (i do wedding photography on the side myself, so its cheap for me to get prints), I just need someone to take pictures and provide it in digital format
That might be the tricky part. They make their money by selling prints, so I would be surprised if they were willing to give you a digital file...but it never hurts to ask.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-17-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
That might be the tricky part. They make their money by selling prints, so I would be surprised if they were willing to give you a digital file...but it never hurts to ask.
Do you know of any good store that i can start with? Really don't know where to start my search, i guess i will start with google
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Narkano (Offline)
New to JF

07-17-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I actually don't need any prints as I have contact here to do it myself (i do wedding photography on the side myself, so its cheap for me to get prints), I just need someone to take pictures and provide it in digital format
I am a photographer looking to break off from a studio and go solo(in the US, not Japan). I have most of the necessary equipment but how can I find a good, reliable hookup for large orders and high quality prints?

And just out of curiosity, does the market seem oversaturated with these studios or not?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Narkano (Offline)
New to JF

07-17-2008, 09:36 PM

P.S. Bring me and my assistant(wife lol)over, I have very "lenient" copyright restrictions. The RAWs and JPEGs are yours!
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-18-2008, 01:54 AM

PM Sent, taking the discussion offline