JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Glisters (Offline)
New to JF

Japan in August - 06-09-2008, 12:31 PM

I will be spending two weeks between Tokyo and Kyoto in August of this year; by all accounts the weather will be extremely hot and humid, what sort of temperatures am I looking at?

Will there be a lot of direct, unfiltered sunlight or are the summers more of the overcast and humid type? I am blonde and have very fair skin, what factor sun cream do I need to be using?

And, the most important question of the lot, what kinds of clothes do I need to be packing, is it okay to wear jeans or will I expire of heatstroke if I do?

Apologies for the amount of questions and thank you in advance for any replies.

G.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-09-2008, 12:41 PM

August is hot and humid, and there will be quite a bit or rain. Sun will definitely be DIRECT, I am not an expert in sunblock since I don't use them, so I won't be able to tell you.

Jeans should be fine. The average temperature for August is in (in celcius) the high 20s to the low 30s,
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

06-09-2008, 01:22 PM

By all means bring or buy in Japan a good sun screen designed to block UV. UV blocking is the key here in Japan, more so than fighting the tempreture and humidity. Bring sunglasses, too. Drink lots of water or sport drink which are readily available from both convenience stores and vending machines on the street.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
yumeau (Offline)
JF Regular

06-09-2008, 02:20 PM

I always use a sun cream SPF 50 PA+++. And many Japanese girls use a sunshade as well. Perhaps it may sound old-fashioned, but don’t hesitate. It’s not out here.
There are various cute sunshades, also folding ones, which you can find around 1500 yen.
I suppose jeans will be fine, I myself wear jeans also in mid-summer actually, but it depends on what you're planning to do.
A few years ago I went to Kyoto in a sundress with mid-heel sandals. That was okay for me, though I recommend you to pack the clothes in which you feel comfortable.
And the shoes, too, for you probably go through gravel paths in Kyoto.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Glisters (Offline)
New to JF

06-10-2008, 06:03 PM

Thank you all for your replies.

A follow up question: I suffer from quite severe hayfever, what's the pollen level like in Japan, in August? Is hayfever a common problem over there, or does it not really occur?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
yumeau (Offline)
JF Regular

06-10-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisters View Post
Thank you all for your replies.

A follow up question: I suffer from quite severe hayfever, what's the pollen level like in Japan, in August? Is hayfever a common problem over there, or does it not really occur?
Yes, it is. Since I don't have that problem, I'm not quite sure, but many people suffer from pollenosis especially in April (because of Japan cedars) and I suppose it's less in August.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Glisters (Offline)
New to JF

06-11-2008, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the info, yumeau!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-11-2008, 06:00 AM

How hot and humid it seems depends on where you are coming from. I used to live in South Florida, so the heat and humidity here are not at all oppressive to me.

Light clothing is best, shorts and flip flops are my favorite casual attire. I have to wear a suit and tie at work, and I commute by foot, so it feels pretty sticky in the warmer months, but nothing even close to what I use to experience in Florida.

Japan isn't particularly sunny on most days. Most areas tend to be hazy, but there is that occasional day which is brilliantly clear, and having sunscreen on hand is a good idea. Aveeno makes the best, it works in UVA and UVB light, and it isn't too oily or shiny.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-11-2008, 06:13 AM

Most of the Japanese people I knew hated summer in Japan. The heat and humidity is oppressive. It's also cockroach season

My wife and I never go back in summer because it's just a pain in the a**.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

06-11-2008, 04:27 PM

When does the humidity subside? Is it very hot&humid in mid-september also?