(#31 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiluvsjmusic View Post
mostly in kokawa ^_^
Oh, that's right, you're the one with the family in Kokawa. I remember now. Sorry.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
So during my off time I spent a lot of time drinking and meeting the locals..
Sometimes that's the best way to see a country. I learned a lot of Japanese at my local snack bar.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiluvsjmusic View Post
lol yeah ive been to kokawa a few times
last time was probably december 2006
some of my family lives there
I loved Wakayama. While I was there, one of the locals told me it was similar to going to Alabama or Louisiana in the states. People like Kansai-ben, but I love Wakayama-ben and the variations in the little towns.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
We visited 那智勝浦 .
Hey, I can't read that stuff anymore. (I had to study for my Job and Kanji, well, fell to the wayside.) Where's that?
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-25-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
For those of us that don't read kanji, what's the name in romaji? I went to a very nice resort on the coast in Minabe that had an onsen, if that's what it says... That's where we had the mid-year Wakayama-ken ALT conference.
Sorry - Nachi Katsuura, down at the south eastern corner of Wakayama.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

06-25-2008, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
I loved Wakayama. While I was there, one of the locals told me it was similar to going to Alabama or Louisiana in the states. People like Kansai-ben, but I love Wakayama-ben and the variations in the little towns.
I find that smaller, less popular places out in the country have a much more interesting and unique flavor than the cities. This used to be true in the US, but the last time I visited, it seemed like even the most remote locales had a Walmart and were peppered with the same fast food and chain restaurants as everywhere else.

My husband is from Fukui, which seems to be likened to somewhere like West Virginia in the US. We spend a huge amount of time up there, and it`s absolutely beautiful with a dialect and culture all it`s own.

(#37 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Sorry - Nachi Katsuura, down at the south eastern corner of Wakayama.
Ahh, ok, I visited Nachi several times. We hiked to the 2nd falls (about 90 minutes through the forest, very remote), and another time I did a weekend homestay there, and took part in their traditional festival where I got to dress up as a samurai!

(#38 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

06-25-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Ahh, ok, I visited Nachi several times. We hiked to the 2nd falls (about 90 minutes through the forest, very remote), and another time I did a weekend homestay there, and took part in their traditional festival where I got to dress up as a samurai!
We followed the Kumano road (trail?) from Kumano to Nachi. Quite a walk but absolutely beautiful.
We`re hoping to do a longer hike, possibly the entire road, eventually - but I don`t want to haul a child on my back the entire time so it`s been put on the back burner.

One of the things I found interesting in Wakayama is that they were selling mikans *everywhere*. There was no corner without someone selling them.
The first time we went, we assumed it was just mikan season. Then we went again a different time of year - same thing. Another season, again the same.

(#39 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
We followed the Kumano road (trail?) from Kumano to Nachi. Quite a walk but absolutely beautiful.
We`re hoping to do a longer hike, possibly the entire road, eventually - but I don`t want to haul a child on my back the entire time so it`s been put on the back burner.

One of the things I found interesting in Wakayama is that they were selling mikans *everywhere*. There was no corner without someone selling them.
The first time we went, we assumed it was just mikan season. Then we went again a different time of year - same thing. Another season, again the same.
Mikan ar grown all over Nara-ken and the hills around my father-in-laws house is surrounded in mikan and kaki.

Samurai007 has some nice photos of Nachi on his website. When my wife and I were dating about 150 yers ago, we drove around the entire Kii-hanto in one day and saw Nachi. Beautiful place.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-25-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:

There are certainly a ton of mikan there, but each city has other things they are famous for as well. One city grows ume (plums), and makes umeboshi as well as ume wine. Another (called Momoyama-cho) is famous for its white peaches. Another place makes soy sauce, and is credited with inventing it. And Taiji is known for its whaling. So Wakayama actually has quite a few crops and products in addition to the tons of mikan!