JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Where in Japan have you been? - 06-24-2008, 08:14 AM

Where have you been in Japan?

I lived in Wakayama-ken for three years. In that time I think I went just about everywhere in the Kii-hanto (Osaka, Wakayama, Nara and Mie). I took two trips to Shikoku and a few days in Hokkaido. I went to Tokyo for two days and didn't like it. I enjoyed the countryside.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
yukochan (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to yukochan
Red face 06-24-2008, 08:27 AM

i've been to osaka for a week then to mie for a year... then i'll be back in osaka soon!!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2008, 08:34 AM

I'd like to visit mie some more. Last time I visited Japan we went to Mie-Jingu, then hung-out at the fake little historical town next to the temple. That was fun.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ultraseven (Offline)
ウルトラセブン

06-24-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Where have you been in Japan?

I lived in Wakayama-ken for three years. In that time I think I went just about everywhere in the Kii-hanto (Osaka, Wakayama, Nara and Mie). I took two trips to Shikoku and a few days in Hokkaido. I went to Tokyo for two days and didn't like it. I enjoyed the countryside.
Interesting, what was it like living in Japan for three years? I spent some time in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka last year, but I would like to see more of the countryside on my next visit, particularly Hokkaido.

What did you dislike about Tokyo? I know parts like Harajuku can be busy, but I enjoyed the atmosphere. It's good to experience both the city and country as you did.

How come you don't live in Japan now?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraseven View Post
Interesting, what was it like living in Japan for three years? I spent some time in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka last year, but I would like to see more of the countryside on my next visit, particularly Hokkaido.

What did you dislike about Tokyo? I know parts like Harajuku can be busy, but I enjoyed the atmosphere. It's good to experience both the city and country as you did.

How come you don't live in Japan now?
Living in Japan was great. I don't live there now because I wanted to find something more meaningfull than being an English teacher. I love teaching, but English in Japan is irrelevant. Once I returned home I realised how much I love my country. I went to Japan as someone who wanted to see the world after earning an Anthropology degree. I returned just prior to
sept. 11. I love my country and have found rewarding work. However, my family visits Japan every year and I return every year or two.

I didn't enjoy Tokyo because it was just another big city. I can see that in san francisco or LA. I lived in a rural area in the states prior to Japan and lived in the countryside in Japan, so I was used to a slower more genuine environment. Tokyo was big, loud and messy. I have no need to see a bunch of kids dressed like hippies in harajuku.

In the countryside I could learn more about traditional culture and history. I also could visit more beautiful natural and historical places.

Hokkaido was beautifull, but more similar to the geography of northern America. I went to learn about the Ainu, so I stayed in a fantastic hot springs resort, visited the spa twice a day, hiked among the treed with their fall colors and talked to Ainu.

What did you see that interested you in Japan?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-24-2008, 09:41 AM

I`ve been to quite a few places (living in Japan for 10 years does that to you), it would really be hard to list where I have been, so I`ll list where I haven`t been - I haven`t been to Okinawa or anywhere north east of Tokyo/Nagano.
I`ve been everywhere in this immediate area (Aichi, Mie, Shizuoka, Shiga, Gifu, Fukui) more times than I could possibly count. We drive all over the place.
We have been to Wakayama multiple times on trips, spent a week in Nara-ken, spent a few days in Osaka, gone all over Kyushu in one week long trip. Drove around Nagano, etc etc.

Oh, I also haven`t gone to Shikoku.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`ve been to quite a few places (living in Japan for 10 years does that to you), it would really be hard to list where I have been, so I`ll list where I haven`t been - I haven`t been to Okinawa or anywhere north east of Tokyo/Nagano.
I`ve been everywhere in this immediate area (Aichi, Mie, Shizuoka, Shiga, Gifu, Fukui) more times than I could possibly count. We drive all over the place.
We have been to Wakayama multiple times on trips, spent a week in Nara-ken, spent a few days in Osaka, gone all over Kyushu in one week long trip. Drove around Nagano, etc etc.

Oh, I also haven`t gone to Shikoku.
Shikoku is beautifull and sparcely populated. Go if you can. I would like to see Okinawa for it's exotic environment and mixed cultural background.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-24-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Shikoku is beautifull and sparcely populated. Go if you can. I would like to see Okinawa for it's exotic environment and mixed cultural background.
When we took our trip to Nara, we were debating which to go to - Nara or somewhere in Shikoku. Nara won because it takes significantly less time to reach from here by car.

We will go though, eventually, when we find a tourist spot that looks like it would be interesting during it`s off season.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
When we took our trip to Nara, we were debating which to go to - Nara or somewhere in Shikoku. Nara won because it takes significantly less time to reach from here by car.

We will go though, eventually, when we find a tourist spot that looks like it would be interesting during it`s off season.
The first time I went, we took a car across on the ferry from wakayama city. We drove west and south 1/2 way across the island. Then we head back to the ferry from the middle of the island. The second time we drove north and east from the ferry and made our way to the far side of the island and back. Both trips were two night/three day trips. It's small enough that, with transportation, you can see a lot at a leisurely pace.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Ultraseven (Offline)
ウルトラセブン

06-24-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Living in Japan was great. I don't live there now because I wanted to find something more meaningfull than being an English teacher. I love teaching, but English in Japan is irrelevant. Once I returned home I realised how much I love my country. I went to Japan as someone who wanted to see the world after earning an Anthropology degree. I returned just prior to
sept. 11. I love my country and have found rewarding work. However, my family visits Japan every year and I return every year or two.

I didn't enjoy Tokyo because it was just another big city. I can see that in san francisco or LA. I lived in a rural area in the states prior to Japan and lived in the countryside in Japan, so I was used to a slower more genuine environment. Tokyo was big, loud and messy. I have no need to see a bunch of kids dressed like hippies in harajuku.

In the countryside I could learn more about traditional culture and history. I also could visit more beautiful natural and historical places.

Hokkaido was beautifull, but more similar to the geography of northern America. I went to learn about the Ainu, so I stayed in a fantastic hot springs resort, visited the spa twice a day, hiked among the treed with their fall colors and talked to Ainu.

What did you see that interested you in Japan?
Initially, I went with places like Akihabara in mind, but found myself searching out the older parts of Japan around Kyoto. The (surprisingly clean) Shinjuku was amazing as I'm not used to cities on that scale, but searching out the 'real', historical parts of Japan is ultimately more rewarding. However I saw very little countryside, besides a brief visit to Shigaraki hence why I'd like to visit Hokkaido perhaps. Did you travel by yourself?

Have you read Looking for the Lost, or The Roads to Sata by English writer Alan Booth? Well written books, by an author who shares your views I think.