(#12 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
The first time I went, we took a car across on the ferry from wakayama city. We drove west and south 1/2 way across the island. Then we head back to the ferry from the middle of the island. The second time we drove north and east from the ferry and made our way to the far side of the island and back. Both trips were two night/three day trips. It's small enough that, with transportation, you can see a lot at a leisurely pace.
I imagine things are much easier to pull off when you`re closer to begin with. For us, just getting to Wakayama is a full day trip (Last time we went, we left home at 10am and arrived at our hotel around 7pm) - we would have to spend an entire day on travel alone, which seems like a horrible waste.

It would actually be faster for us to drive directly to Shikoku. Still though, it`s a long trip - and when you have a small child it becomes increasingly harder to stay on the road for extended periods of time.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraseven View Post
Initially, I went with places like Akihabara in mind, but found myself searching out the older parts of Japan around Kyoto. The (surprisingly clean) Shinjuku was amazing as I'm not used to cities on that scale, but searching out the 'real', historical parts of Japan is ultimately more rewarding. However I saw very little countryside, besides a brief visit to Shigaraki hence why I'd like to visit Hokkaido perhaps. Did you travel by yourself?

Have you read Looking for the Lost, or The Roads to Sata by English writer Alan Booth? Well written books, by an author who shares your views I think.
No, never read 'im. I'll have to check it out. I travelled by myself, them married my wife there in a shinto ceremony. Much of the travelling I've done with her before and after we married. When you live there so long (only three years) you learn about the out of the way places.

For example, on the Kii-hanto (somewhere 'tween Wakayama and Nara-ken) you can take a long drive into the hills to a village called Totsukawa. There is a suspended rope bridge there that is either the tallest or longest in Japan. Afterwards, you can sit in the glass fronted coffee shop and watch dudes drag their screaming girlfreinds across the bridge.

Or in the hills around Hashimoto and Koya-san you can find waterfalls or fireflies along the rivers. Wow, now i'm feeling really nostaliac.

where is shagaraki?
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Ultraseven (Offline)
ウルトラセブン

06-24-2008, 10:38 AM

I should have said Koka in the Southern Shiga prefecture
(Shigaraki, the town I visited merged with four other towns to become Koka in 2004).
Shigaraki is famous for its pottery, particularly the Tanuki.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiluvsjmusic View Post
Wakayama and Tokyo!
You were in Wakayama? When? Where? Why?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I imagine things are much easier to pull off when you`re closer to begin with. For us, just getting to Wakayama is a full day trip (Last time we went, we left home at 10am and arrived at our hotel around 7pm) - we would have to spend an entire day on travel alone, which seems like a horrible waste.

It would actually be faster for us to drive directly to Shikoku. Still though, it`s a long trip - and when you have a small child it becomes increasingly harder to stay on the road for extended periods of time.
Are we there yet?

Juice chodai! Juice!

Dako!

Asobo!

Daddy, mite! I can't look, I'm driving. MITE YO!

Juice!
(#17 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

06-24-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Living in Japan was great. I don't live there now because I wanted to find something more meaningfull than being an English teacher. I love teaching, but English in Japan is irrelevant. Once I returned home I realised how much I love my country. I went to Japan as someone who wanted to see the world after earning an Anthropology degree. I returned just prior to
sept. 11. I love my country and have found rewarding work. However, my family visits Japan every year and I return every year or two.

I didn't enjoy Tokyo because it was just another big city. I can see that in san francisco or LA. I lived in a rural area in the states prior to Japan and lived in the countryside in Japan, so I was used to a slower more genuine environment. Tokyo was big, loud and messy. I have no need to see a bunch of kids dressed like hippies in harajuku.

In the countryside I could learn more about traditional culture and history. I also could visit more beautiful natural and historical places.

Hokkaido was beautifull, but more similar to the geography of northern America. I went to learn about the Ainu, so I stayed in a fantastic hot springs resort, visited the spa twice a day, hiked among the treed with their fall colors and talked to Ainu.

What did you see that interested you in Japan?
hahahahahaha

i havent been to Japan yet, but currently planning a small trip with a friend.. id say we will just be kicking it in tokyo dont know for how long yet tho
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshAussie View Post
hahahahahaha

i havent been to Japan yet, but currently planning a small trip with a friend.. id say we will just be kicking it in tokyo dont know for how long yet tho
I'm just getting old!
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Are we there yet?

Juice chodai! Juice!

Dako!

Asobo!

Daddy, mite! I can't look, I'm driving. MITE YO!

Juice!
Not in our case.

Off topic... But...

My son has a developmental disorder. He also has a growth disorder (nutrient processing problems) and a sleep disorder.

We have to stop every hour or so long enough to get something to eat in him or his blood sugar drops precariously low.

I`d pay to have him whine like that. You have no idea how lucky you are if your kid does that.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Not in our case.

Off topic... But...

My son has a developmental disorder. He also has a growth disorder (nutrient processing problems) and a sleep disorder.

We have to stop every hour or so long enough to get something to eat in him or his blood sugar drops precariously low.

I`d pay to have him whine like that. You have no idea how lucky you are if your kid does that.
Wow, that's pretty humbling. I know you love your son and I pray he developes to the best of his ability with your help.