LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-01-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Those charts always show American's working more than Japanese. But my wife always points-out the fact that they work so much UNREPORTED overtime that the statistics are probably incorrect.
This chart doesn't show Americans working more than Japanese.

In America you work for your family.

In Japan you work for your company.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
This chart doesn't show Americans working more than Japanese.

In America you work for your family.

In Japan you work for your company.
Understood. I wasn't making an arguement, just adding to the thread.

Sometimes, lately, the media often reports that americans work more than others in so many countries. Maybe France, but not Japan.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-01-2008, 10:11 AM

You can't take that chart at face value. It's obvious that Americans work more than many other countries, keeping up with the Joneses isn't always easy.

Japan and America enforce labor laws much differently. The laws are actually more severe in Japan, but rarely enforced. Labor laws in America are enforced vigorously. I would guess (from my own experience) that the figure for working hours in Japan is probably off by 20%. My girlfriend works in an office in Tokyo, and she's getting almost as many hours listed in the chart in overtime. She still has her regular hours to factor in on top of that.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2008, 12:47 PM

My wife worked at a bank when we lived in Japan. No one went home until all the money was counted (of course) and all books closed (all all soroban put away properly ). Thus, there was overtime every day, but they were only paid up to the point when the bank was closed.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
I see no point in hiring a non-Japanese who tries so hard to look, act and live like a Japanese. I'd hire a real Japanese if I wanted my employees to possess those qualities that are uniquely Japanese.

I'd hire a non-Japanese if he had the qualities that I couldn't expect my Japanese employees to have so that he would help broaden the horizon for my company by bringing in new ideas, new perspectives, etc...
Ah, Nagoyankee, you make sense as usual. The punctuality I mentioned is universal, but the Japanese work ethic pays adheres to it a little more than westerners do these days. Other than some basic survival tips like etiquette and knowing enough Japanese to navigate are probably, I could not think of any specific Japanese traits to recommend because what you have pointed out it bound to be the case.

No employer hires a foreign national because they are as much like their own people as poosible. Its not worth the legalities. Why would you pass over your own countrymen, unless it was to get an aspect they don't have? Americans hire foreigners for the same reason any other country would - the unique perspective on their industry that foreigners can provide. It may be a difference in methodology, view of the market, or a special skill. But it certainly isn't so that you can reinforce and blend in with what the company already has.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-01-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
Ah, Nagoyankee, you make sense as usual. The punctuality I mentioned is universal, but the Japanese work ethic pays adheres to it a little more than westerners do these days. Other than some basic survival tips like etiquette and knowing enough Japanese to navigate are probably, I could not think of any specific Japanese traits to recommend because what you have pointed out it bound to be the case.

No employer hires a foreign national because they are as much like their own people as poosible. Its not worth the legalities. Why would you pass over your own countrymen, unless it was to get an aspect they don't have? Americans hire foreigners for the same reason any other country would - the unique perspective on their industry that foreigners can provide. It may be a difference in methodology, view of the market, or a special skill. But it certainly isn't so that you can reinforce and blend in with what the company already has.
A lot of these things are simple generalities. If one wants to fit in with Japan, then buy some books on culture and cultural anthropology. Once you have a general idea of culture and how it affects peoples actions and psychology (culture affects everything from breathing rate to how you gester according to the words you use) then read tons of stuff on japanese culture, psychology and history.

If someone asks for cultural differences, then you get generalizations. If you delve deeper (as I mentioned above) then the small nuances become more clear. study how poeple walk and move. Learn to sit seiza properly, learn about eye-contact. Learn that when someone says, "we should meet and go drinking soon," it is just a politeness and probably won't happen. when someone offers an invitation and you cannot attend, don't just say no. Say, "I'd like to," then, "but I'm not sure I can make it," and add, "maybe next time." I'm sleepy and worked all night, so I might be rambling at this point. But I think you'll get the picture.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Hip (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Hip Send a message via MSN to Hip Send a message via Yahoo to Hip
07-01-2008, 05:20 PM

To get back on the subject of how to impress the Japanese...

No urinating in public >.>;

No running around the pool

No urinating in the pool

No diving off the low board

No 'giving the bird"

No racist jokes while visiting a temple

and No skinny dipping in a public fountain.

Hip's DeviantArt Page! - Hip's Music! - Hip's Myspace!╤╦╗
╔╦╤╤╤╤╤╤╦╗
(#28 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-01-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
You can't take that chart at face value. It's obvious that Americans work more than many other countries, keeping up with the Joneses isn't always easy.

Japan and America enforce labor laws much differently. The laws are actually more severe in Japan, but rarely enforced. Labor laws in America are enforced vigorously. I would guess (from my own experience) that the figure for working hours in Japan is probably off by 20%. My girlfriend works in an office in Tokyo, and she's getting almost as many hours listed in the chart in overtime. She still has her regular hours to factor in on top of that.
So she is at the office 16 to 18 hours a day?