JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
babylj (Offline)
New to JF

Smile How to impress a Japanese.. - 06-25-2008, 03:39 PM

any advice and tips on how to impress a future employer in Japan..

it would be very helpful.. thanks in advance!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-25-2008, 04:08 PM

I going on the assumption that you could work extra hard and offer to be very helpful. Oh, and speaking good Japanese would probably be very impressionable as well.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-25-2008, 04:38 PM

Punctuality is a must.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
01001100 (Offline)
New to JF

06-26-2008, 01:23 AM

One good thing to do is to show that you are dedicated to the company. Remember that in Japan doing a lot of overtime is expected. Someone I know got in trouble with his boss for leaving on time everyday since he has a one year old kid. The boss got angry because he wasn't doing the normal 150 hours of overtime.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

06-26-2008, 03:42 AM

Learn the language, nothing impresses the Japanese more than foreigners who go to the trouble of learning their language. Say you love the food, especially "natto", and prove it by eating it when you go out to lunch with your co-workers. Learn how to use chopsticks properly, Japanese will always look to see how well you use chopsticks. If you can't use them well, they won't say anything, but if you do use them well, they will always compliment you.

Learn basic manners, such as how to bow. When bowing to older people or superiors, you must bow deeper. Always greet your neighbors or co-workers when you pass them, and always thank everyone with whom you do any type of business.

Always, without exception, be on time. In Japan this means 20 to 30 minutes early. Try not to be the first one to leave at the end of the work day. Sometimes this is unavoidable as you may need to catch a train or bus. When this happens, you must apologize for being the first to leave "o-sakini shitsureishimasu".

Dress appropriately, which means you should dress like your co-workers, and not your superiors. Foreigners have a little more leeway here than Japanese, but even foreigners are expected to fit in somewhat.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hip (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Hip Send a message via MSN to Hip Send a message via Yahoo to Hip
06-26-2008, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001100 View Post
One good thing to do is to show that you are dedicated to the company. Remember that in Japan doing a lot of overtime is expected. Someone I know got in trouble with his boss for leaving on time everyday since he has a one year old kid. The boss got angry because he wasn't doing the normal 150 hours of overtime.
wooow loL!!! wtf x.x that's a joke? is that why the suicide rate for working class in Japan is sooooo freaking high!?!?

Here in America...You have to beg for overtime. I once got yelled at for staying 10 minutes overtime to help a customer pick out what printer she wanted because no one else was willing to help her.

Hip's DeviantArt Page! - Hip's Music! - Hip's Myspace!╤╦╗
╔╦╤╤╤╤╤╤╦╗
(#7 (permalink))
Old
01001100 (Offline)
New to JF

06-26-2008, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip View Post
wooow loL!!! wtf x.x that's a joke? is that why the suicide rate for working class in Japan is sooooo freaking high!?!?

Here in America...You have to beg for overtime. I once got yelled at for staying 10 minutes overtime to help a customer pick out what printer she wanted because no one else was willing to help her.
It's true about it being normal to work a lot of overtime, work ethnic is a big deal in Japan. That's why you see things like this happen:

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

06-26-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Getting overtime is one thing, getting paid for it is something else. Salaried employees do not get paid overtime, so Japan's "Salarymen" are generally screwed.

On the other side of the coin, during a 14 hour day, they may only do 4 hours of real work.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Hip (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Hip Send a message via MSN to Hip Send a message via Yahoo to Hip
06-26-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Getting overtime is one thing, getting paid for it is something else. Salaried employees do not get paid overtime, so Japan's "Salarymen" are generally screwed.

On the other side of the coin, during a 14 hour day, they may only do 4 hours of real work.
wait so they are expected to work overtime without pay?

Hip's DeviantArt Page! - Hip's Music! - Hip's Myspace!╤╦╗
╔╦╤╤╤╤╤╤╦╗
(#10 (permalink))
Old
01001100 (Offline)
New to JF

06-26-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
wait so they are expected to work overtime without pay?
Yep, and that's why I always find it funny when 16 year olds dream of working in Japan without realizing how different Japanese work ethics are.