JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Turbo123 (Offline)
New to JF

Where to travel - july 14 to august 23 2008? - 07-02-2008, 08:30 PM

July 14 we will land in Osaka and then we will stay in Japan for 6 weeks, just to travel around as backpacker.

The plan looks like this:
Week 1 - Osaka, Kyoto
Week 2 - Mt Fuji, Tokyo
Week 3 - Tokyo, Nikko
Week 4 - XXXX
Week 5 - XXXX
Week 6 - Hokkaido, Tokyo

XXXX = anything from north of Tokyo up to Hokkaido.

So where do you think we shuold go week 4 and 6. We are looking for nice beaches at the ocean or a lake, smaller towns, cool places and stuff , anything u think we should see or do.

We read about Matsushima. Sounds nice, but its hard to find hostels, cheap ryokans or budget hotels there.

Give us some help plz!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-02-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo123 View Post
July 14 we will land in Osaka and then we will stay in Japan for 6 weeks, just to travel around as backpacker.

The plan looks like this:
Week 1 - Osaka, Kyoto
Week 2 - Mt Fuji, Tokyo
Week 3 - Tokyo, Nikko
Week 4 - XXXX
Week 5 - XXXX
Week 6 - Hokkaido, Tokyo

XXXX = anything from north of Tokyo up to Hokkaido.

So where do you think we shuold go week 4 and 6. We are looking for nice beaches at the ocean or a lake, smaller towns, cool places and stuff , anything u think we should see or do.

We read about Matsushima. Sounds nice, but its hard to find hostels, cheap ryokans or budget hotels there.

Give us some help plz!
Will Atami do? Its not north of Tokyo, more like west, but its a nice place....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-02-2008, 10:37 PM

I'd definately go to the Japan Sea area, there are some amazingly beautiful small towns along that area.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Turbo123 (Offline)
New to JF

07-03-2008, 08:08 AM

* So west coast is nicer than the east coast?

* If u just come to a small town in for example the west coast, will we find any where to sleep, or do u generally have to book in advance in Japan?

Our first three weeks are booked with cheap hotels and hostels for about 3000-4000 yen per person.

* More suggestions about where to go - give me!
(#5 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo123 View Post
* So west coast is nicer than the east coast?

* If u just come to a small town in for example the west coast, will we find any where to sleep, or do u generally have to book in advance in Japan?

Our first three weeks are booked with cheap hotels and hostels for about 3000-4000 yen per person.

* More suggestions about where to go - give me!
Hello, I don't think its fair to say west coast is nicer, than east coast, I mean they all looks great Atami is not truly west, its not far from Tokyo, you are looking at maybe 1.5 hours on the Shinkanzen (don't actually remember anymore). They have several really really nice onsent type resort/ryokan, you do have to book in advance. Try searching for "moonlight beach"

I will go back to the office later this morning to look at my books then make recommendation...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-03-2008, 12:48 PM

Ok, others can correct me if they want, since my "true" local expereiince are from almost 20 years ago, and the last few years I have only been taking 2 weeks trip to Japan.

But for beaches, you can try the following:

Simoda
Ito
Hiratsuka
Chigasaki
Kamogawa
Hitachi
Takahagi
Ishomaki

What kind of things do you plan on seeing? I am not totally sure if you really need a full week in Osaka/Kyoto, so do drop by the surrounding cities.

Tokyo is big, but not big enough to last you 2 weeks, Nikko is more like a day trip, 2 at most. Mount Fuji is accessible from Hakone (from Odawara) and Atami, both are onsen resort town, so I take that you will be spending a few relaxing days there, but still, 2 weeks in Tokyo is a bit over kill.

For a 6 weeks Intinerary, I will consider fitting in Kyushu and Shikoku, but its your choice.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Turbo123 (Offline)
New to JF

07-04-2008, 08:09 AM

Thx for the great advice some of those beaches will definetly be visited.

Actually my plan looks like this more exactly and that is already booked:
Osaka 3 nights, Kyoto 3 nights, Mt Mufji 2 nights, Tokyo 7 nights, Nikko 3 nights.

I will read about Atami and look if I find room for a few nigths.

* Isn´t Kyushu and Shikoku very hot and humid on the summer?

* But I need for examples och nice towns by the sea. West or east coast on the way from Tokyo up to Hokkaido.

Last edited by Turbo123 : 07-04-2008 at 08:15 AM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-04-2008, 08:28 AM

Keep in mind you are visiting in the hottest and most humid time in Japan, so don't force youself to walk too many miles a day.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-04-2008, 12:10 PM

Hello there,

Shikoku and Kyushu's climate is not too different from that of the rest of Honshu. Kyushu maybe slightly more humid.

I counted 16 days, so with a 6 weeks trip, I think you have plenty of time to visit all the places you wanted to. Kyushu and Shikoku is nothing more than a brief stop, there aren't much to see, except for the great tunnel and the brdiges that connects the island (if you are a railway fan).

Then on your way back, you have the option to stop by Miyajima, Hiroshima, Himeji and then the usual Osaka and stuff, so I would recommend hitting up on those places as well.

Go have a look at Japan-Guide.com, they have very detail description of each places and what to see