JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
wantitnow (Offline)
New to JF

Japanese fingerprinting at customs - 06-29-2008, 12:43 AM

A bit of advise needed.... I am a Canadian citizen with a criminal record ( theft under 5K 8 years ago ) . I'm headed to Japan next month and need to know if I should declare this on the entry form ? I know that the question is asked, but am thinking just writing no would be the best thing to do.

Here's the kicker, I was stopped about 5 months ago crossing to the usa and denied entry, sent back to Canada. While in the us immigration, they fingerprinted me and took photos of me. Kind of a overkill if you ask me... Nonetheless, I am concerned that the Japanese new fingerprint system may be interlinked with the us fingerprint system and they will be able to tell about my record from this once at Japanese customs ? Does anyone know about this or have had a similar experience ? My main question is that are these systems combined somehow to share information ?
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-29-2008, 01:05 AM

As far as I know - unless you are currently wanted for arrest, then there shouldn`t be a problem at all. I don`t even think it`s necessary to declare it, unless immigration procedures have changed VERy much in the past year or so.
I`ve had relatives visit me here who unfortunately had some pretty serious criminal records, and it was never even asked of them.

I think the US is doing a bit of overkill. Cases like yours have been in the news these days - I`ve heard they`ve even refused entry to the US for more mundane things that don`t even involve past arrests.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-29-2008, 02:10 AM

I have never been asked about my criminal record leaving or entering Japan or US.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
wantitnow (Offline)
New to JF

06-29-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I have never been asked about my criminal record leaving or entering Japan or US.

Apparently it's on the entry form now as of 2007
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-29-2008, 02:21 AM

Not on any forms I filled out 3 months ago...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-29-2008, 04:00 AM

If I remember correctly the series of Yes/No questions on the back of the form above where you sign and declare how much money you have with you are a couple questions about your criminal record. I'll look at it closer when I fly to Japan on Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I think the US is doing a bit of overkill. Cases like yours have been in the news these days - I`ve heard they`ve even refused entry to the US for more mundane things that don`t even involve past arrests.
This is most likely due to reciprocity. Canada has had that kind of standard for many years, even denying entry if you had commited a misdemeanor.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
wantitnow (Offline)
New to JF

06-29-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Not on any forms I filled out 3 months ago...
Awesome, others have told me elsewhere it was on the entry form. Can I ask what country you are originally from? And if what your status is in Japan the last time you travelled ? I'm just coming for a 3 week visit, so I suppose it will be just a tourist visa ?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-29-2008, 04:15 AM

Let me say that I don't remember it being on any forms...I certainly wasn't asked as I came through...but I did find this:

"New immigration procedures for Japan

Japan National Tourist Organization (Press Release)
Monday, October 22, 2007
Japan will introduce new immigration procedures which require foreign nationals entering Japan to be photographed and electronically fingerprinted from November 20, 2007.

The new procedures – similar to those which have already been introduced in the United States – are part of a law amending parts of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act which was promulgated on May 24, 2006. The revised law contains new provisions for the establishment of a framework for preventative measures against acts of terrorism. As part of this framework, a new anti-terrorism measure is to be implemented, which requires the submission of personal identification information at immigration control.

Under the new immigration procedures, when foreign nationals are applying for landing, fingerprints and photograph will be taken, after which an immigration control officer shall ask a few questions regarding the visitor’s stay in Japan.

In the event that any foreign national, who is required by the new law to be fingerprinted and photographed, refuses to submit to these new provisions, that person will not be permitted to enter Japan, and will be required to leave the country.

All foreign nationals entering Japan will be subject to the new provisions, with the exception of the following:
(1) Special permanent residents
(2) Persons under 16 years of age
(3) Those persons performing activities which fall under the status of residence for ‘Diplomat’ or ‘Official’
(4) Those persons who have been invited by the head of any national administrative organisation
(5) Those persons who are prescribed by the Ministry of Justice ordinance as equivalent to either (3) or (4).

Foreign nationals arriving in Japan will be required to follow the following procedures.
1. A person wishing to enter Japan must submit his/her passport to the immigration control officer.
2. Once the immigration control officer has explained the procedures that are to be followed, the person wishing to enter Japan will be asked to place the index fingers of both hands on a digital fingerprint reader. The fingerprint information will be read and stored electromagnetically.
3. A photograph will then be taken, using the camera located at the top of the digital fingerprint reader.
4. The immigration control officer will then conduct a short interview.
5. On completion of the above procedures, the person wishing to enter Japan will receive their passport from the immigration control officer."

I was on a tourist visa and flew through Canada to get to Japan.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
wantitnow (Offline)
New to JF

06-29-2008, 04:56 AM

Did you go through the above procedure as well?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-29-2008, 05:27 AM

The whole procedure lasted maybe 15 to 20 seconds, and I didn't anyone before me take any longer.